8.3L Cummins Transplant

After the magic solution.

attachment.php

The wall feels like that tread crap you stick on the back of work trucks on steps so you don't slip. LOL It is obvious the engine was stopped with #4 intake valve in the open position and left outside.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6501[1].jpg
    IMG_6501[1].jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6502[1].jpg
    IMG_6502[1].jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Who has a part number for the valve spring compressor tool for the 8.3L?

Was there any water in the oil when you first got the engine?

No. It was just black black black. Other than needing changed, the oil looked good. The head gasket showed not traces of any mixture or leaks. There is now signs of corrosion in the crank case anywhere.

Snedge is got me covered with the parts and they are on the way.

Anyone got an extra push rod or two in case Jeff doesn't find me a couple?

I'm confused by you two, but I'm entirely too tired to explain myself. I'll be under my rock.....

Not sure how we confused you.

Jory is replacing the 8.2L Detroit with a 8.3L Cummins...basically, getting rid of a boat anchor, and making a major upgrade.

Now, I don't believe we're advocating just throwing whatever is there in it and saying to hell with it, but there is about a 1% chance of a pin hole in that liner at the top of a sleeve to let water in....especially, with the history and story on the engine.

Throwing a sleeve and a new set of rings in it, for Jory's application, is going to be light years ahead of an 8.2L Detroit, and absolutely won't hurt a thing. It will run just fine, and won't break him trying to overhaul an engine that's going to get very few miles each year.

Conversion, with a used engine, on the cheap. With help from some friends if we can.

Jory, hope I'm not too off base here, but from our conversations, I don't think I am.

Let me know what else you need. I haven't found a pickup tube, all mine are center sump.

I should have a couple push rods if you need.
Chris

Chris nailed it. If this engine only runs at 1800 RPM max it would be an upgrade from the Detroit. LOL

Jeff said the push rods are cheap so we have them covered. Chris, Jeff found me a new pickup tube and bracket. The bracket looks to be the same exact one for the front sump as it is for the rear sump. So, I have a center sump pan and center pick up tube and bracket I'll send you sometime. It is yours. When I get done, I'll make a list of everything I have left and I'll ship your crate back to you with different parts in it. :D Would you have a use for the exhaust manifold that flips the turbo up and 180 deg? I have pondered on leaving this turbo up top or spinning it down low where it normally is with the manifold you sent me. Now that the head gasket set comes with new exhaust gaskets, I might as well do the swap if it helps me. I wasn't going to do it to not buy the gaskets and crap, but now I have them. At least it will spin the turbo back where the down pipe will be in the back and not exiting in front of the turbo. Can you use this one I have? Would you happen to have the turbo oil drain tube for the other configuration? I'll swap you for this one if you want to.

I always try to do thing on a budget and you two "Chris and Jeff" don't know how much I appreciate your help. Another box of parts from the good folks at Mumau Diesel and possibly some valve work and this bad boy should be ready to spin on her own.

O...and the injectors are going to Mumau also probably tomorrow. They are nasty as hell and he needs something to do this weekend while he drinks whiskey and listens to the blues.

Not sure they even have holes in them. :hehe:

Just bore them out Jeff. :woohoo:

attachment.php

I was also learned that to get the bastards out it is easiest to use a long nut, a bolt, and a slide hammer. Worked like a champ. I would have never figured that out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6473[1].jpg
    IMG_6473[1].jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6471[1].jpg
    IMG_6471[1].jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6470[1].jpg
    IMG_6470[1].jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
I'll use ALL the AG parts you don't need, or someone else hasn't spoken for.

I have injectors. I'll ship them to you. Ship me yours sometime, I'll just swap you out. Doesn't cost me crap to get them cleaned and rebuilt.

Chris

Last edited:
I have injectors. I'll ship them to you. Ship me yours sometime, I'll just swap you out.

Chris

Sounds good to me. I can ship them out tomorrow if you need them soon or send them with the other stuff later. Your choice. I surely appreciate it. I'll PM you my home addy.

I'll use ALL the AG parts you don't need, or someone else hasn't spoken for.

I have injectors. I'll ship them to you. Ship me yours sometime, I'll just swap you out. Doesn't cost me crap to get them cleaned and rebuilt.

Chris

Sounds good to me. I can ship them out tomorrow if you need them soon or send them with the other stuff later. Your choice. I surely appreciate it. I'll PM you my home addy.

Whooooot!!!! Snedge has the weekend off now !!!!!

Agreed. No need to go digging any deeper than needed.
This is what confused me. Several techs, Jeff included since I quoted him, are nearly certain of rain water. The cylinder is damaged, although to what degree, even now, is not conclusive.
I only said (in agreement) that it's rain water, because of the corrosion Inhibitors found in coolant slowing the rate of corrosion.
If for some reason Jory was unsure, I suggested he remove the pack, which still would be less damaging to the piston than driving it out the top of the bore, and then inspecting the liner for pinholes or or a cracked flange. This would also give him and indication of the cavitation erosion of the other liners.

I don't see how, even as vague as I was, that I overstepped what need be done.

Thus, I'm confused in the way the two of you replied.

I'm not upset because from what I've seen and read, we're all on the same page.

I finished reading and saw the pics. Looks fun. Had a C18 window because the rain flap was gone and #4 exhaust was the one open. They cranked it, it ran with a bent rod for 17 minutes.

So you should have it together to run at the nhrda right? You know you want to.

Not to race...but I'd still love to have it running by the Spring NHRDA race in Tulsa (Dyno For Dex 4.0) and hit the dyno and finally beat DisplacedTexMexNexican at a torque number. LOL

The only thing that saddens me about getting injectors from Chris instead of sending these to Jeff was that I already had stated searching the office for an orange box. :hehe:

You can still send him an empty box.

And if you need machine work done local, Broadway Machine is who Southern Plains uses. I've used them before as well, and they do really good work, even give you literature regarding whatever it is you had done. Even supplied me with part numbers for different things that I might need. All I did was get the block decked lol.

Just fyi. I'm sure there's a good shop in stilly you already know about.

Back