8.3L Cummins Transplant

Sweet. I just didn't want to overload the cast housing and break it and end up with a motor broke on the floor.

The local steel shop normally has scrap circular cut-outs by the plasma table. I'll see how big they have on hand. I can buy them for the scrap price. I drew up SAE 3 to 1/2. If anyone else needs the adapter, I can pass it along as long if they have the same hub as this stand. It's an old Massy Harris hub. To the best of my measurements, the center bore is 6.1" with 8 on 8" centers. I'll center punch all the patterns, but will only drill the #3 ones for now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SAE PLATE.jpg
    SAE PLATE.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2
Don't be afraid to use the housing, but offset the hub bolt pattern in your plate to help center the engine on the stand.

Don't be afraid to use the housing, but offset the hub bolt pattern in your plate to help center the engine on the stand.

Thought about that. Thanks for the tip. I've got a guy at the steel house checking for plates now. My buddy, the bass player for the Great Divide, no longer works there. I'm bummed. That's the only place I ever get to hang out with him. :(

I knew I could work Solidworks into this project. :hehe:

attachment.php

I'll just plot it 1:1 and center punch the holes and drill on my neighbors Bridgeport mill. :rockwoot:

Attachments

• SAE PLATE.PNG
    SAE PLATE.PNG
    71.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I think I just decided how I would be getting paid for all this crap I'm going to send you...

Chris

I think I just decided how I would be getting paid for all this crap I'm going to send you...

Anything you need, buddy. I can design and export the CNC files right to the shop of your choice. ;)

Except for maybe something like Brad wants which is an entire gooseneck trailer modeled up. :hehe: How's that coming by the way?

Anything you need, buddy. I can design and export the CNC files right to the shop of your choice. ;)

Except for maybe something like Brad wants which is an entire gooseneck trailer modeled up. :hehe: How's that coming by the way?

Meh. LOL I'm waiting for the free aluminum I beam that's supposed to be coming my way. Design revolves around if that deal actually happens.

I'm way more comfortable doing it now than when we first talked about it.

Chris, did the 155 survive the dyno thrashing? I stopped in and nosed around yesterday on our way home from TN. I'm going to send you a set of front engine mounts for you to test fit for me, since I'm gonna bet you have the engine mounted in the right spot. If they fit right, you can have them.

Jesus....look at all the construction.... :bang

attachment.php

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1
Are you going that way soon? I might have a request.... lol

Well, Jeff has junk I need, I have junk that Chris needs, Chris has junk that I need, I might have junk that Brad needs, I got close friends in Indiana not too far away, and someone was asking about a Possum's Pecker Band concert in Ohio a while back. It would cost me just shy of $300 in fuel and 30 hrs of driving to make a round trip which might just be less than shipping for all this heavy stuff. I say we all just meet up and party like rock stars. It would depend on the date and coordination with my social director who at this moment has not received a memo regarding such plans. However, I do not plan to drag a trailer that far so if you want a car body brought back, you had better have it folded up to fit in a short bed mega next to a pallet of 8.3 parts.

:pop:

Well, Jeff has junk I need, I have junk that Chris needs, Chris has junk that I need, I might have junk that Brad needs, I got close friends in Indiana not too far away, and someone was asking about a Possum's Pecker Band concert in Ohio a while back. It would cost me just shy of $300 in fuel and 30 hrs of driving to make a round trip which might just be less than shipping for all this heavy stuff. I say we all just meet up and party like rock stars. It would depend on the date and coordination with my social director who at this moment has not received a memo regarding such plans. However, I do not plan to drag a trailer that far so if you want a car body brought back, you had better have it folded up to fit in a short bed mega next to a pallet of 8.3 parts.

:pop:

No trailer? what will you use for a stage? lol

I need a midplate drawn up for an engine that wasn't designed to go in a pickup.

Chris, did the 155 survive the dyno thrashing? I stopped in and nosed around yesterday on our way home from TN. I'm going to send you a set of front engine mounts for you to test fit for me, since I'm gonna bet you have the engine mounted in the right spot. If they fit right, you can have them.

Yes and no...I keep getting a stop engine light with the oil pressure and temp gauges both in the green. Mechanical oil pressure around 50psi WOT, 25psi idle. That, and the air filter restriction light keeps coming on.

Chris

I need a midplate drawn up for an engine that wasn't designed to go in a pickup.

Send me a pencil sketch with dimensions to 4x4dually at g-male dot com and define "midplate." Not sure what that is, but if I can draw it, I'll dang sure knock it out for ya.

Basically, it would bolt on like that flywheel housing, and then have transmission bolt pattern around the edge.

It's a transmission/engine adapter for a race application.

The reason to make you draw it is because you can overlay different stuff and be sure centerlines match up.

this is nothing I'm in a hurry for, so I'll start getting dimensions together.
Chris

Can do.

So, this transmission is an Eaton/Fuller FS-5005A. The documentation I've found show the clutch housing to be P/N 230549 which is an SAE 2. I have an SAE 3 flywheel housing.

Who has a 2 and wants to swap for a 3? Brad, do you have a 2?

I have an SAE 2 housing. With a flywheel for a double disc clutch. Don't know if yours is a single or a double.

I have a clutch and Eaton FS5106A 6 speed for sale Wednesday on Auctiontime if you want a 6x2 when you swap...

Chris

I have an SAE 2 housing. With a flywheel for a double disc clutch. Don't know if yours is a single or a double.

I have a clutch and Eaton FS5106A 6 speed for sale Wednesday on Auctiontime if you want a 6x2 when you swap...

Chris

Jesus. Now you are tempting me with more gears. I better keep the purchases to a min if I want to retain a roof to live under. LOL

I'll stick with the housing and flywheel for now...dammit. ;)

My name is Jory. I have an addiction.

Last edited: