84 Chevy Crew Cab 12v Conversion

You never want to rush perfection.Thats what old guys always told me.
So I'm telling you hahaha.

Dale

Yea it definantly can be overwhelming at times but i just keep my nose down and focus on one thing at a time! Itll git done with good time and youll learn stuff along the way and maybe make the next one even better! Keep at it and keep the pictures acomin!

^ think he claimed to be one so.. like the ol timer said dont rush these things and itll turn out just like ya want it if not exceed yer expectations!

My Dually said it wants to look like yours when it's owner gets some money

Hahaha! Hell my duallys feelings are hurt too for me makin it feel neglected! Changed its clothes and gave it a face life and makin er sit in the corner now till i get a couple others outta the way!

You never want to rush perfection.Thats what old guys always told me.
So I'm telling you hahaha.

Dale

Haha yeah Im not trying to rush it. Just seems that lately I could really use the truck. And by the time projects are usually done you dont need them right away when they are done anyway LOL

Well I have been working on the latch system for the gn hitch. So far so good. I needed a long pin and I couldnt find a really long pin so I took two pins and welded them together. The weld does not have any kind of force on it other than when you pull on the pin to release the ball. So it should be good to go.

Here is the pin. It is two 5/8s hitch pins welded together. You can see the bracket that I made that the springs will push on to push the pin in. It also acts as the stop when the springs bottom out. I put a 5/8s shaft collar on the end of the springs to allow for the pin to be replaced if I ever need to replace it.

FB0DF594-2278-4E40-882C-697295EEDF5B-292-0000001D3E6C4B8D_zpsff90b8c1.jpg

Here is a video of how it works. I took it with my phone so sorry about the quality of it.
[ame]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u140/xeon133/85%20Crew%20Cab/64E57857-C5BF-46E5-AFEA-C32439E24D73-24825-00000F1F903FD01E_zps38aee415.mp4[/ame]
It does not slide in and out as good as it should right now because I dont have the stopping plate mounted.

Thanks man!

I got the handle started. As you can see I bent it into a U shape. The part that is not connected to the pin will be used to hold the pin out. It will get cut down and when the pin is push in all the way that part will set on top of he frame. When I pull the pin out I will turn the handle and use the frame to hold the pin out. I have to get the rear cross member welded in and then I will mount the stop for the pin.

46F906ED-7FBD-477C-84C3-6A1D92D94D9D-292-0000004D2A600E7A_zpsab589258.jpg

Simple and effective. If i were doing this i would be trying to do something way to complicated... ive always been one to over think things and make them harder than they really should be. :nail:

Me too at times. I was coming up with a really complicated way to hold the pin out and my dad came down to help me some and thought of the idea. I hope it works!

You could make the hole in the frame that the U rod is going through a slot. Then weld a small tab to the rod that will only fit through the slotted hole long ways. Pull the rod out until the tab clears, twist it so the tab won't go back through & voila, pin held out to pull the ball. No more need for the big U.

Nevermind. I figured out what you're doing right after I finished typing. LOL The big U through me off but now I realize you're cutting that long side down to just long enough to hold pin out while pulling the ball. Nicely done, sir.

Yep you got it! It's simple and was really simple to make. Just gotta cut it down to size when I get a couple more things welded in.

Got the stopping plate and handle all done here is a video of how it works.

[ame]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u140/xeon133/85%20Crew%20Cab/EC6AF6A2-BD48-408F-BC3A-F96723401672-356-00000001FC9E6F99_zps321cd152.mp4[/ame]

Looking good some times dads come up with good ideals.coming rite along.I put the B&W flatbed kit at the time it was $125.00.

Dale

Yeah I was looking at those kits but I have less that $70 in the hitch. And I think it's by far stronger than what b&w produces.

Just the ball is around a hundred now isn't it? I like it, considered doing that same setup. looks like it will work well. May still do one, just got allot of other things to get out of the way first.

Just the ball is around a hundred now isn't it? I like it, considered doing that same setup. looks like it will work well. May still do one, just got allot of other things to get out of the way first.

SOB, I knew they were getting pricey, but dang. :doh:

Damn didnt know they where that expensive. I like my hitch, simple but effective. I know what you mean by having to get a lot of stuff out of the way before you do stuff.

SOB, I knew they were getting pricey, but dang. :doh:
Thanks for the great deal on the rusty ol gooseneck ball buddy! :lolly:

Lookin good, i noticed you are in pittsburg. I'm in girard, tried to send a pm, don't have enough posts! You running the chevy 205 32 spline tcase with this setup?