911 I fear I may have lost an engine

Cord

Earlier today I was cruising down the highway at about 60mph when my truck developed a tire shake. As expected, if I varied my speed the shake went away. Later, I noticed that my exhaust was a bit smokier than usual. About 10 miles later, I turned off the highway and noticed that I didn't have a tire shake, but that I had a bad miss. In fact at idle, the truck was running very poorly. When I got to my destination I popped the hood and noticed that engine sounded different. I could tell that the noise was coming from the intake so I opened the air box. If you have ever heard one of the old 2 cylinder John Deere tractors, well, that's the sound I have coming from my intake. I did my business and drove 30 miles to my shop, keeping the speed down to around 55mph. When I got to my shop I used a stethoscope and noticed that cylinder number one was a bit noiser than the other cylinders. I took the valve cover off and the exhaust valve lash was visibly off. I lashed the valve and found that the exhaust side was at .041, so I reset it to .020 which quieted the valve tick. The intake valve at .010. I also checked cylinder #2 and it was within spec. Unfortinatly, relashing the valves made no difference in how the engine idled. I called a mechanic friend and he said to bring the truck in. I drove another 15 miles to his shop, this time at 70mph. I noticed as I drove that my truck was getting smokier. In fact, now I could see black smoke in th rear mirror when I was in a flat cruise. When I turned off the highway the truck was idling worse. While I was waiting at the light blue smoke started to come out of the exhaust. When I went to rev up the engine to let the clutch out, I was met with a very loud successive popping from the exhaust. Sounded like a shot gun on full auto. I've heard this pop before, but only when the engine was cold and I tried to rev it up. A short time later I pulled into his shop and my truck was now blowing huge clouds of smoke. So much smoke that it was forming a cloud 2 stories tall and 50' long. The smoke is pale blue and does NOT smell like oil. The engine now is running like it has a significant lope and you can hear that tractor sound in both the intake and the exhaust. He used a temperature gauge and we noticed that cylinder #1 was a good 30-50 degrees cooler than the other ones. When we gently reved the engine up, the temperature went down and I started to get black smoke from the exhaust. He's going to do a leak down test tomorrow...

Prior history: My specs are below and the truck currently has 166,000 on it. The truck has been trouble free for some time except for two recent incidents:

About a month ago, after a 2 hour drive, I found that the engine wouldn't idle. You had to hold the throttle with your foot or the engine would die. Very frustrating when you're trying to turn a trailer around. After being shut off for several hours, the problem went away and has never reappeared.

The second problem occured about two weeks ago. Having recently filled up, I noticed that I went through a tank fuel rather quickly. The next day my wife took the truck in for new tires when the shop noticed that I was leaking fuel. The leak must have just started because I had just filled up and it was a huge leak. It turned out the rolled lip on the fuel filter had failed causing the fuel to leak out. A new filter solved the problem.

Thoughts?

Sounds like timing slipped big time to me...did it run better if you got some boost in it??

Chris

It certainly seemed to. I didn't go out and hammer on the engine, but yes, the more I got into it the better it ran. Should I go back and try harder?

No, but I would tell him to check the timing before worrying about a leak test;)

Chris

I would check lift pump pressure and fuel shutdown lever to make sure your pump is getting adequate fuel.

It almost sounds like you might have lost #1 injector or #1 plunger/barrel in the injection pump.

If it's just that one cylinder, pull the injector and inspect it, while it's out bore scope it.

If it's just that one cylinder, pull the injector and inspect it, while it's out bore scope it.

X2, you need to find out whats going on in that hole. you might get #1 tdc then back your valve lash all the way off to free you valves up. pull the injector and if you got a blow nozzle with a rubber tip, pressure the cylider up and make sure you dont have air blowing into your intake or exhaust. if your valve are good it should blow back at you( watch your eyes). doing that or like supersonic said, use a boroscope and see what you got. you might also cut you oil filter open and look for metal.

It turned out the rolled lip on the fuel filter had failed causing the fuel to leak out.

How big of a leak?

Lack of fuel to the injection pump. hmmmm..... Barrel #1 would be the most starved of fuel if it is still fed in the stock location (I assume it is).

Any fuel in the oil?

I'd pull the #1 DV and have a look at the pump too.

How big of a leak?

Lack of fuel to the injection pump. hmmmm..... Barrel #1 would be the most starved of fuel if it is still fed in the stock location (I assume it is).

Any fuel in the oil?

I'd pull the #1 DV and have a look at the pump too.
That's where I would start myself.....

The fuel leak was large, but it was caught early. The leak was large enough that the truck left a trail of fuel in a parking lot. I'd say that we found the leak one day after it started. It's my mechanic's idea that the truck ran lean because of the fuel leak and warped the #1 exhaust valve. I could see that also being true if the pump was damaged. Honestly, I've convinced myself that I have a damaged valve. The question of course is what caused the valve to fail. It would really suck if the pump is also bad.

Last night, hoping that the timing slipped I did take the truck out. The miss is bad enough a low speeds that there is some additional turbo lag. Once the turbo does lite, the engine is making decent power, but I'd say that it's down about 100hp. The miss continues all the way through the rpm range and it's very, very smokey. The engine does have some reluctance, but it did rev to 3200rpm before I lifted.

When I pulled the dipstick I didn't smell any fuel.

I would get this situation settled and solved before taking the truck out again.....

mine did sorta the same thing

ebded up being a delivery valve washer

Allmost sounds like a cracked injector nozzle. Pull the injector and inspect it.

I guess #1 only has 120lbs of compression. Havn't heard the results of the leak down test...

The compressions on #1 varies between 100 and 150psi with 120 being the average. He's convinced it's the exhaust valve that either bent or burned. That would explain why I found the lash to be so far off. He's also confident that the fuel filter that I had fail is the reason why the engine broke. My question is why did it take another 400 miles for the valve to burn? Is it because my pump is now dying? Yea, f'ing yea. :cheer:

We're guessing that the hole in the filter was sucking air. Too lean, too long, too bad. Honestly, other than the truck having a scootch longer crank time, I never noticed a running problem. What also baffles me is that the valve failed when I was in a flat cruise. I would have expected to see if fail under acceleration.

Back