95' Junker Drag Truck

The piston on the two pumps looked identical, the behive springs were different though. The Cummins spring had few coils but there were thicker, the Carter spring had more coils but thinner wire. I didn't precisely measure the strength of both springs but the Cummins spring is definitely stiffer and more difficult to compress.

Cummins on left, Carter on the right.
LiftPump012.jpg

LiftPump014.jpg

LiftPump013.jpg

Last edited:
So with the old lift pump and modified overflow valve with Bic pen spring, it idled in the 40-42 psi range and ramped up to about 50 psi free revving in park.

After adding the 5x.018 injectors, I was losing fuel pressure fast and the truck was cutting out and popping 2800+. Basically there was no top end fueling.

What I did is tapped into the factory steel fuel line right below the driver's seat with 3/8" fuel line, from there it flows through a 1/2" brass check valve and then 3/8" line to a nylon tee. From the tee, 3/8 line straight to the stock lift pump. From the stock lift pump, stock steel line with banjo bolts to stock fuel filter, from fuel filter, stock steel line with banjo bolts to the injection pump. In short, I simply 100% deleted the stock fuel bowl and added a brass check valve and a tee with 3/8" line.

Back at the fuel tank I drilled a 5/8" hole in the top of the tank and installed a home-made 1/2" copper draw straw. From the straw, 3/8" line runs to a Holley Blue lift pump mounted on the frame. After the Holley Blue, 3/8" line runs to the nylon tee that ultimately feeds the stock mechanical lift pump.

With this setup, the truck can start, run, and daily drive with just the mechanical lift pump system. When I need extra lift pump pressure, I can flip on the toggle switch for the Holley Blue.

With the new mechanical Cummins lift pump alone, this system idles at 50 psi. It ramps up to 55 psi if I free rev it to about 2500 rpm and it holds pressure during a free rev to 4300 RPM. Under load WOT, I can pull fuel pressure down to 15 psi and although the truck no longer sputters and cuts out, it still feels soft on the top end above 2900 rpm or so.

With the Holley Blue feeding the system, it pressures up the tee flows down to the checkvalve and stops from backfeeding to the tank and feeds up the tee to the injection pump. With the truck off the fuel pressure gauge taken at the fuel filter outlet banjo bolt reads 10 psi.

With the Junker running and Holley Blue turned on, I show 60 psi at idle and 70 psi at 2500 rpm free rev.

Running down the highway WOT with Holley Blue turned on, fuel pressure pulls down to about 45 psi. Obviously the pusher pump tremendously increases the efficiency of the factory mechanical lift pump.

And man have I created a monster! The next track day isn't till Nov 18th, but I think the Junker is finally ready to go fast.

My best guess is that the Holley Blue Pusher pump created 100 HP at the wheels. Not that the pusher pump is a big HP adder, just that the factory lift pump cannot keep up with this hungry 160 pump and keeping adequate lift pump pressure is helping the rest of the setup fuel like it should.

I've never truly been scared driving around in my Junker until tonight.

I think mine needs the pusher , it has a bad spudder around at 2800 , I'm installing a gauge this week to see

Good write up

Good to see the junker movin out! I've had a set of the roundy roundy slicks before. Soaking them in VHT before you go to the track will help your 60ft times....

Well, I did a little more test driving, the Junker has enough power to spin the tires at 70 MPH. It's not totally uncontrollable spinning but you definitely have to drive it to keep the rear end straight behind the truck. Kind of a leery feeling when the rear starts drifting around on a straight-a-way at 65-70 MPH.

I sure hope the slicks hook up like glue at the track. The next race will be a week or two after the big boys NHRA come on Oct 31st so I hope some of the excellent NHRA track prep survives to make for a traction filled Nov 18th race.

Well, I did a little more test driving, the Junker has enough power to spin the tires at 70 MPH. It's not totally uncontrollable spinning but you definitely have to drive it to keep the rear end straight behind the truck. Kind of a leery feeling when the rear starts drifting around on a straight-a-way at 65-70 MPH.

I sure hope the slicks hook up like glue at the track. The next race will be a week or two after the big boys NHRA come on Oct 31st so I hope some of the excellent NHRA track prep survives to make for a traction filled Nov 18th race.

Sounds like a fun ride! The slicks will probably hook up good, but not great. Too stiff a sidewall.

thats awesome I hope my junker drag truck can do that by spring time... with my my 97 when i had my k31/s400 hybrid from pius on there and 5x.018's with ddp's magic delivery valves and 0 plate, if it was at all moist out my truck would go sideways around 70-75 when boost hit, if it was raining out lightly the truck would go sideways at 80-85mph that was fun, and that was with a new 33'' nitto terra grappler. I really miss not having a 12v thats why im picking up a toy this week!

My friend ALMOST had a truck for 2700, but the dang guy sold it right after he called and said he'd take it sight unseen. If the deal had gone through i would have started a Junker build thread.....uhg still dreaming about it now.

My friend ALMOST had a truck for 2700, but the dang guy sold it right after he called and said he'd take it sight unseen. If the deal had gone through i would have started a Junker build thread.....uhg still dreaming about it now.

I realize your in utah, but there are lots 2wd reg cab 2nd gen dodge on the east coast if you were willing to get one, im sure there are a bunch near you you just can't be scared to drive a few hours

Ive seen three or four 2wd junkers for 1500-2000 that RUN man! I almost bought one but ended up with the 4wd for my drag truck. Hit me up, I see them all the time. I know your farther south than me but its not that far.

thats awesome I hope my junker drag truck can do that by spring time... with my my 97 when i had my k31/s400 hybrid from pius on there and 5x.018's with ddp's magic delivery valves and 0 plate, if it was at all moist out my truck would go sideways around 70-75 when boost hit, if it was raining out lightly the truck would go sideways at 80-85mph that was fun, and that was with a new 33'' nitto terra grappler. I really miss not having a 12v thats why im picking up a toy this week!

The other part of the equation on these Junker Drag Trucks is that they are much lighter than a typical diesel behemoth 4x4 quad cab that most of us drive. My junker at 420 HP was faster on a highway no-shift pull than my 99' Quad Cab 4x4 5 speed with 499 HP. My 99' usually ran down the road at 7000 lbs where the Junker rolls around at 5500 lbs.

I realize your in utah, but there are lots 2wd reg cab 2nd gen dodge on the east coast if you were willing to get one, im sure there are a bunch near you you just can't be scared to drive a few hours

I have to drive 6 hours minimum as it is to find the majority of them.

Ive seen three or four 2wd junkers for 1500-2000 that RUN man! I almost bought one but ended up with the 4wd for my drag truck. Hit me up, I see them all the time. I know your farther south than me but its not that far.

Thanks! I just texted him and sent you a PM. He is looking for a 4x4 but he could do 2 wheel drive for 2000.

He is up north every weekend just about. So it wouldn't be too hard for him to pick one up.

X2 is it set at 10psi?

Stock the Holley Blue is set 12-14 psi, on this one, I had previously used it as a lift pump for my 99' so the spring had been stretched to somewhere around 16psi. I pulled out a set of pliers and trimmed about 1.5 coils off the spring, that dropped pressure to 10 psi.

This holley is about a year old and it's had diesel fuel sitting in it eating at the pump drive shaft seal, needless to say, it leaks. Can't have leaks at the drag strip so I ordered a knock off Holley Black pump (AKA ProComp Black $50 new on ebay) rated for methanol. From what I've read, the Holley Blacks' seals last longer in diesel fuel than the regular gasoline type seals in the Holley Blue pumps.

Should be arriving in the mail on Wednesday. The Holley Blue is going to be demoted to waste oil filtering pump setup. I burn all of my used tranny, gear, and engine oil in my daily driver. I like to filter it a little before I dump it in the tank because fuel filters aren't that cheap anymore. No sense ruining a $30 fuel filter with 3 gallons ($9 worth) of waste oil. I can't imagine how much the Holley Blue is going to leak after it pumps used ATF and trash motor oil a couple times a month.

Awesome man! Glad to see your getting it dialed in and getting some good seat of the pants hp numbers. I might have ordered a few things for the Budget Beater the other day to keep up with your progress! Next year should be very entertaining for the both of us!