95' Junker Drag Truck

Recently I started fabricating the twin turbo setup.

Here is the bottom turbo bracket. It's built out of a combination of metal scraps I had in my scrap box and bolts in place of the factory tranny fluid/engine coolant heat exchanger.
Turbo004.jpg

Turbo006.jpg

It's not going to win an engineering or show-n-shine award, but it was cheap! The black u-channel was an old bumper brace I removed for weight savings.
Turbo007.jpg

HT4B bottom turbo
Turbo010.jpg

Turbo012.jpg

It looks tight but there is about 3/8" clearance between the turbo housings and the frame rail.
Turbo014.jpg

Used hotpipe I picked up cheap, just had to modify and weld-on a flange to accept the HE351cw top turbo exhaust flange.
Turbo011.jpg

1" thick home-made spacer for the top turbo. I used a 1" spacer so that if the setup needs an external wastegate in the future, it will be simpler to retrofit.
Turbo015.jpg

I also ported the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing of the HE351cw. I used a 1" drill bit to open up the whole passage and then massaged the path of flow into the wastegate passage. The wastegate puck is a 1.25" but due to play in the wastegate arm and puck itself, I decided to leave a full .125" of overlap to make sure it doesn't leak.

Turbo020.jpg

Turbo017.jpg

Turbo018.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting can't wait to see what these twins yeild for you at the strip. I wish I was in a warmer climate or had a shop close to me so I could work on my truck so and strip things down a little. It would also be nice to have a track near me open right now, but I have to wait until april, so im not gonna have any baseline runs, but I suppose there are plenty of 2wd reg cabs that have made a pass or two stock so I can get a good idea of what my junker would have ran at the track.

looks good! will be strange having a setup that spools well again huh lol?

Yeah, if it spools up like I think it will, I'm going to have to pull the tranny and send the converter back to Phil Taylor to tighten it up a bit!

The real question is will this twin setup provide enough low-end spool and top-end power to run 11's with the current fueling setup?

Blue, have you considered a nitrous kit? Even if you put in a cheapo purge solenoid just to help you get off the line, I think it would greatly improve your times. If your twin setup has no lag, you may not have the traction for it, but if there is some kind of lag, it's worth a shot *nx*

Wow! been a while since I checked out this truck. you have come a long way. I am impressed to say the least. 112 mph, thats movin. will keep with this to see the twins progress.

Yeah, if it spools up like I think it will, I'm going to have to pull the tranny and send the converter back to Phil Taylor to tighten it up a bit!

The real question is will this twin setup provide enough low-end spool and top-end power to run 11's with the current fueling setup?

I hope you can get 11s out of her. I'm about to try something crazier than the hx60 single. It may work and it may be an epic fail either way I'll have fun doing it.

I worked on the twins a little bit more tonight. I got the HE351cw exhaust housing mounted up.
Twins002.jpg

Twins003.jpg

I also installed the rest of the HE351 turbo so I could start figuring out the rest of the turbo plumbing.
Twins004.jpg

Another angle showing the 5.5" to 6" bending reducer for the air filter pipe. At the track I will run filter-less and use the full 2' long 6" aluminum pipe to draw cooler air from behind the fender and headlight.
Twins005.jpg

Twins006.jpg

Next I installed the 4" to 3" reducer on the He351cw turbo inlet and then a section of 3" 180* bent pipe.
Twins007.jpg

Twins008.jpg

Twins009.jpg

One last angle, I know most of the readers on competition diesel are bored with all of the duplicate pictures, just wanted to provide a few different angles for those first time at home twin builders.
Twins010.jpg

Where did you get the tight radius 180* pipe? Are you going to try to run a straight extension out of the HT4B, then 90* right into the 180* pipe section?

Where did you get the tight radius 180* pipe? Are you going to try to run a straight extension out of the HT4B, then 90* right into the 180* pipe section?

I got all of the mandrel bent tubing from Columbia River Mandrel Bending... mandrel-bends.com, they have a "builder's kit" option that gives a little discount if you buy a set of bends: 180's, 90's, and 45's.

The tight radius is mostly due to the fact that I'm using 3" for the cold pipe instead of 3.5" or 4" like most people.

The inside diameter of the HT4B outlet is 3" so I didn't see a point in going larger on the cold pipe, plus the fact that 3" is quite a bit cheaper.

I checked and it is possible to come straight out of the HT4B with a 90 and straight into the 180, however, this puts the 180 pretty close to the air filter (I only run a filter on the street, but I do want my filter to fit with ease since it gets installed and removed so frequently) and I'm running a large 6" inlet air filter so I decided to come out of the HT4B with a 45* and then a 90* over to the 180*.

The silicone parts are ordered so I should have a few pictures posted next weekend.

Last edited:
I have just read this whole thread and I have to say Job well done on this build. Just goes to show that you don't have to get a mortgage loan or spend bookoo's of money just to have fun with a truck. Nice job and thanks for sharing this build. Got me thinking of idea's for a good shop truck/ play toy.

I have just read this whole thread and I have to say Job well done on this build. Just goes to show that you don't have to get a mortgage loan or spend bookoo's of money just to have fun with a truck. Nice job and thanks for sharing this build. Got me thinking of idea's for a good shop truck/ play toy.

I agree, awesome budget build. I would of liked to see what kind of a difference the full cuts would have made on the set-up before the twins but you did a great job with every other mod posting before an after #'s. Good luck on the new set-up

HT4B Measurements

Compressor 82.4mm x 126.93mm
Turbine 118.3mm x 88.14mm

This is what I measured on mine, I know there are different variations of this turbo and I believe this is the smallest compressor size they made. Should flow plenty of air for the Junker.

HT4B003.jpg

HT4B002.jpg

HT4B001.jpg

HT4B004.jpg

HT4B005.jpg

HT4B006.jpg

HT4B017.jpg

HT4B016.jpg

HT4B007.jpg

HT4B009.jpg

HT4B010.jpg

HT4B011.jpg