95' Junker Drag Truck

Yeah, no air filter. I can't decide which 6" tube size filter to get. K&N and AFE both seem to make a bunch of oiled gauze type filters, I just want one large enough meet the flow requirements of the HT4B probably close to 1800 CFM. When you can pick up HE351ve for $125, I'm not too worried about dinging up/wiping out a compressor wheel from running filterless.

Yeah, no air filter. I can't decide which 6" tube size filter to get. K&N and AFE both seem to make a bunch of oiled gauze type filters, I just want one large enough meet the flow requirements of the HT4B probably close to 1800 CFM. When you can pick up HE351ve for $125, I'm not too worried about dinging up/wiping out a compressor wheel from running filterless.

You will be when the blades go through the motor... The air filter cost less than $125.

You will be when the blades go through the motor... The air filter cost less than $125.

It would be pretty impressive for the blades to cut through the intercooler, to make it to the motor... :shake:

It would be pretty impressive for the blades to cut through the intercooler, to make it to the motor... :shake:

Take a look at Yoshi's thread about his compressor wheel blowin up. Had plenty of pieces in the motor afterwards.

I can't believe how many people are offended that I'd run the Junker Drag Truck filterless at the track. How much dust and dirt do you think gets kicked up a professional facility like Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The whole facility is paved, the only dust is the sub 10 micron stuff you can't see and that will go right through an oiled gauze filter anyway. Sure little bits of rubber and debris can get kicked up off the front tires but it does still have the 90* bent intake hose, just no filter box.

I plan to buy one filter for the drag truck and I'm not yet done researching which filter to get that fits on a 6" intake tube since that's what's going to feed my primary turbo.

This truck is not daily driven, maybe 100 miles per week with the stock filter in-place unless I'm doing some performance testing/tuning where the stock setup is too restrictive.

Besides, a filter might cost a tenth or two and where you're an all out race truck running 14's, you need every tenth you can get. Even Bponci's daughter is running quicker than me.:hehe:

We aren't offended :hehe: I would just rather see it with a filter, no reason to grenade your compressor wheel, if it makes it through the intercooler (they have and will) I would sure hate to see it hurt your motor then grenade your exhaust wheels on both turbos. Nowwwwww that's alot if's but hey it's a interesting build and your already being beat by a girl, so u need to step it up!

What I can't figure out is how she's running so much quicker in the 1/4 with less MPH but we had identical 1/8th mile times and similar MPH. Almost makes me wonder if the MPH timers are in different locations at the two tracks... LVMS being further down the track so higher MPH for same ET.

I can't believe how many people are offended that I'd run the Junker Drag Truck filterless at the track. How much dust and dirt do you think gets kicked up a professional facility like Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The whole facility is paved, the only dust is the sub 10 micron stuff you can't see and that will go right through an oiled gauze filter anyway. Sure little bits of rubber and debris can get kicked up off the front tires but it does still have the 90* bent intake hose, just no filter box.

I plan to buy one filter for the drag truck and I'm not yet done researching which filter to get that fits on a 6" intake tube since that's what's going to feed my primary turbo.

This truck is not daily driven, maybe 100 miles per week with the stock filter in-place unless I'm doing some performance testing/tuning where the stock setup is too restrictive.

Besides, a filter might cost a tenth or two and where you're an all out race truck running 14's, you need every tenth you can get. Even Bponci's daughter is running quicker than me.:hehe:

It doesnt offend me at all, I was just giving some advice. Its not the track I would really be worried about, its under the hood. If a bolt is left one cowl and falls, a clump of dirt, a piece of plastic, whatever... falls into the wheel, its game over. So why risk it for $60?

If you pipe it out front, sure, not a big deal.:Cheer:

What I can't figure out is how she's running so much quicker in the 1/4 with less MPH but we had identical 1/8th mile times and similar MPH. Almost makes me wonder if the MPH timers are in different locations at the two tracks... LVMS being further down the track so higher MPH for same ET.

Better 60' time= better E/T less MPH

How much does your truck smoke once you are spooled? What kind of boost are you running?

I dropped my times about an exact 1/2 second at the strip when I went to my 215 injectors over the 160's. Went from 15.7 to 15.2.

Your 2wd must be a lot lighter than my truck. I run a 14.9@87mph with a 1.9X 60ft, but I have a toolbox full of stuff in the bed, the cab is full of tools, plus I have traction bars and a brush gaurd. Im not sure what it weighs, but it must be a decent bit heavier because yours is a decent bit faster around the same HP.

Anyways, you may make 13's with the 215 injectors. It will be close.

Eric

The Junker weighs 5500 with driver.

I only need about 20 more HP to get into the 13's so I think you're right, the 215's should get me there. I'm probably going to have the rack plug installed before my next track outing as well so I should have enough HP if I can maintain the little bit of traction I found with the homemade caltracs.

This 110* weather here in Vegas is de-motivating when I come home from work and the garage is 105+ inside. I need a big swamp cooler or AC unit in there.

As far as boost, right now it's hitting 40 psi in 2nd, 3rd, and OD.

Yeah, thats pretty light, which is definately good for a drag truck! Id venture to say my truck is 7k pounds with me and all the tools in it. Heck, I weigh 320lbs myself along with all the chains, boomers, and 2 craftsman tool sets I keep with me.:hehe:

I think the 215's should help you out for sure. Driving my truck on the road I never would have guessed the 215's to help out that much, but they did make a nice difference at the track.

Keep us posted on the rack plug. Im going to put one in mine eventually, so it'd be nice to have solid evidence on the difference it would make.

Eric

The Junker weighs 5500 with driver.

I only need about 20 more HP to get into the 13's so I think you're right, the 215's should get me there. I'm probably going to have the rack plug installed before my next track outing as well so I should have enough HP if I can maintain the little bit of traction I found with the homemade caltracs.

This 110* weather here in Vegas is de-motivating when I come home from work and the garage is 105+ inside. I need a big swamp cooler or AC unit in there.

As far as boost, right now it's hitting 40 psi in 2nd, 3rd, and OD.

Are you running the stock lift pump?

Yeah, stock lift pump with a slightly modified overflow valve. Basically I stretched the stock spring just a little bit and added a portion of a bic pen spring inside the stock spring. It idles in the 40+ psi range and ramps up to about 50 psi free revving in park.

I've never ran WOT down the road with a gauge hooked up but plan to shortly. If or when I need more lift pump capacity, I plan to run a Holley Blue at 7-10 psi as a pusher pump before the stock lift pump.

Well guys, the Junker ate a turbo tonight. I just finished installing my 215 injectors and 2095 rack plug and was out "joy riding" a bit. I found a nice flat closed course and decided to turn my 285/75/16 AT's into home-made slicks.

Midway through the burnout, about 20 seconds into it, the turbo let go. I haven't torn into it yet but I will say that the compressor wheel is only damaged where it made contact with the housing, it didn't eat anything from running filter-less although that's what I first suspected on the slow drive home.

I'll tear it down this weekend and post up a few pictures but it almost feels like the shaft broke. Maybe a chunk of harbor-freight welder slag broke loose and stalled the turbine wheel??? All that I know is it's toast.

As far as a power gain from the 215 injectors and rack plug, not enough seat time to give accurate results but I've never struggled for traction in the top of third gear and it was spinning into OD tonight. If I had to guess, at least 50 HP gain, but maybe more like 75+. Turbo didn't last long enough to get a good feel for the new power.