Adam Winslett sets the 24v HP mark at......

Hammer said:
I'd like to know why the "how does one install a Common Rail head on a 24v Block" question keeps getting dodged?.Since its common knowledge that they do not interchange due to water jacket passages not even close to lining up.

Could this be a Common Rail block and head with the VP44 pump conversion done to it?.Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Kas..
I will not try and rain on Adams hard work and keep this short.Richard,as TimeBomb has already stated,has yet to post anything from his big run.There are those who question the legitimacy of his numbers on a dyno on fuel alone.Look at it this way,IF Schieds,Haisley and many of the other big pullers are known to be over 1500 on a engine dyno at the crank,which would put them at around 1200 to the ground,and yet they have issues starting their rides,let alone drive them daily,doesn't that seem a bit odd?.How does he just turn the key on a truck making more power than the pullers have in the Midwest when they need other fluids to get them lit with less power than him,magic maybe?????......Andy

A CR block and head with a VP44 swap on it sounds a lot more realistic to me as well, Unless maybe they had a lot of material taken off the head and then some type of adapter machined out...?

I think the difference with Maddog's 1200 hp and the pullers 1200 hp is Richards truck is built to make that power for a 5 second dyno run up to lets say 4500rpm. The pullers are building their engines to run down the track for 20+ seconds at that power while turning 5500+ rpm.

That is my take on the matter atleast.

I would also have to say that graph is awful spikey and although we can say "it was because of the feed line, small volume, cold bottle, etc..." isn't that just speculation that those things were taking away power or causing the graph to spike so wildly? Or not get to 1000hp?

...$.02

I hate to chime in because of how negative this thread has gone. I will say what I know for a fact.Im not going to say anymore than this post.First off the motor has NEVER been out of the truck its orignal. The head is a CR head no mods have been done to the head to make it work on the 24v block and no the block was not modified. I know of another truck that has a CR head on 24v VP motor (a ford Great White).

I know Adam will be back soon to prove his truck makes that much power.

you boys need to read a little better--it was stated by J&H that it was a CR head and I think I stated it also and now again by CL2000---you need only a 2nd gen head gasket and some custom fuel lines and yes the block is a 2nd gen also with no work--stock cam, stock bottom end, stock valve springs(for now)--chris

Hammer said:
I'd like to know why the "how does one install a Common Rail head on a 24v Block" question keeps getting dodged?.Since its common knowledge that they do not interchange due to water jacket passages not even close to lining up.
Could this be a Common Rail block and head with the VP44 pump conversion done to it?.Its the only thing that makes sense to me.

Common knowledge? it is common knowledge around here that at least two trucks in NorCal have this done. I was there when one of them was installed and have seen them bolted together. As stated by Chris and Chad its not really that hard.

No questions are being dodged....just doubters speculating. Why would someone come on here and lie about useing a CR head? Why?

I know there's a shop down here in liberty that has done a couple of the CR head swaps with success.

Muddin_dude06 said:
I think the difference with Maddog's 1200 hp and the pullers 1200 hp is Richards truck is built to make that power for a 5 second dyno run up to lets say 4500rpm. The pullers are building their engines to run down the track for 20+ seconds at that power while turning 5500+ rpm.

This is exactly how I was going to sum it up. Garrett's(Bobcat698)truck, the last time I spoke with him and got a chance to drive it, was around 500 RWHP, and was turning into a hardcore pulling truck. A buddy of mine has a 96 that he is turning into a racer/playtoy, and has around 550 rwhp on that one. Both 12 valves, both single chargers, both autos. But my buddy's 96 is definately a tamer, more driveable hp. Don't get me wrong, both trucks haul absolute ass. It's just that the setup for a puller is a lot different for a street truck.

No questions are being dodged....just doubters speculating. Why would someone come on here and lie about useing a CR head? Why?

Jason...
You got your shorts in a bunch here?????.I do not ever remember saying you lied nor did I discredit his numbers,all I asked is HOW it was done?.So then what you saying here is because you have seen two done that this is possible and that there are no issues with the water jackets?.There are more than just me who would like to know how this was done and I didn't think was such a top secret deal.Here I thought all along the SS/AA guys had poor attitudes when you ask questions about parts,man your worse.

Muddin_Dude and Kas...
I can agree that tuning issues are different but it still all comes back to the amount of fuel and the combustion of that fuel and what it takes to start it.Richards numbers are impressive when they are posted,no can take them away,but knowing what others have and seeing how they start and run is what makes me curious about his.

Hammer said:
Jason...
You got your shorts in a bunch here?????.I do not ever remember saying you lied nor did I discredit his numbers,all I asked is HOW it was done?.So then what you saying here is because you have seen two done that this is possible and that there are no issues with the water jackets?.There are more than just me who would like to know how this was done and I didn't think was such a top secret deal.Here I thought all along the SS/AA guys had poor attitudes when you ask questions about parts,man your worse.

No bunchs here, nor secrets, like its been stated by several people its not that hard to put the CR head on the older blocks. the water jackets dont line up exact, but with a little mild porting they work fine. J&H did some work on Adams CR head, and it bolted up with a 24v gasket. Just get a Head and look at it, try it and see what happens when you set it on the block. Thats what Adam did.

Sorry if I gave you attitude just seems like a lot of doubters here. My friend Adam has worked hard to have a nice truck thak makes a bunch of power and he has done some not so common mods so i guess im over protective......sorry again. I just dont understand why some people would lie or stretch thier numbers to impress people. Its just a truck.

It seemed your were infering a lie because you said its common knowledge that they head does not even come close to matching up to the block, then you went on to sudgest its a CR head on a CR block using a VP44 when its was allready stated several times it was a CR head on a 24v block. Then you say the questions are dodged, which they are not.

If you want a detailed write up of how its done sorry i cant do that because I didnt do the work. I guess next time its apart ill try and get some pics of the passages. The hardest part was getting the custom lines and remounting some of the sensors.

Oh yea whats SS/AA? sorry dont know all the competition lingo.

Gzzz I see this isnt the place for good VP # to get posted , why dont some of u guys take a look at the heads first instead of walking around with EGG on your face ,,the CR engine is not a one off peice

Last edited:
Hey Hammer i just saw over on TDR that you asked the same question about the water jackets on 1-9-08 and Harvey from J&H told you the water jackets do line up, just a problem with the oil passages and the CR gasket. Then he told you with the use of the 24v gasket it worked.

So why are you saying the questions are dodged? I dont get it it seems like you had the answer before you asked here on the 15th. Why are you so non trusting or sure they dont line up?

Congrats Adam, that's a great number there. Hope to see you in Bakersfield!

What's the advantage or benefit to having a CR Head on a 24V? I just don't know these kind of things, so just askin!

Thanks.

Well put it this way. Alot of people will lie just to get there name out and try for new business. We all know that. And its been done.

As far as the swap goes. I have talked to several highly aclaimed shops that build high hp cummins and they said specifically that the CR head does not flow more than a ported 24valve head. In my opinion it was just a coinscidence that the truck had a cr head on it or maybe it was just the wow factor. And it had no more gain over a stage 2 or 3 ported head.

By the time you buy a cr head have it oringed/fireringed, ported, fuel lines, and other odds and ends to get it done your better off getting a fully ported 24v head from piers or somewhere else.

I really think its just a wow factor and no major gain.

Its great numbers but i am a fuel only guy and not a big fan of spraying. Any one can throw a bunch of juice at a engine i bet it wont live down the track like that for long.

When someone makes 800hp or better on straight #2 in a vp truck ill sh** myself. And then ask how the heck they did it.

jktcummins said:
When someone makes 800hp or better on straight #2 in a vp truck ill sh** myself. And then ask how the heck they did it.
well you better start asking then because its already been done on straight #2 and no spray, no water, just plain ole diesel.

farmboydiesel just did like 807 a couple of weeks ago, VP truck no spray, no water straight diesel.

inline6power said:
farmboydiesel just did like 807 a couple of weeks ago, VP truck no spray, no water straight diesel.

And a POS dyno!:hehe:

jktcummins said:
As far as the swap goes. I have talked to several highly aclaimed shops that build high hp cummins and they said specifically that the CR head does not flow more than a ported 24valve head. In my opinion it was just a coinscidence that the truck had a cr head on it or maybe it was just the wow factor. And it had no more gain over a stage 2 or 3 ported head.
Stock head to stock head, how do they compare? How does a ported CR head compare to a ported ISB head?