Ahale's 94 Build thread

also, ive got a smoked 4x4 727 from my 89.... if I pull it apart, will it edumicate me any on how thes transmissions work? i know its non lockup and 3 speed, but is any of it caried over from 727 to 46rh to 47rh?

so i just put a 0-300 psi guage on my transmission, hooked it up to the port above the accumulator housing (is that the correct port?)

findings are as follows...

just before the 1st-2ndgear shift, the line pressure drops from about 100 to 65psi, then back to 100before it bangs the 1-2shift. 2-3 is kind of soft, but maintains the 100 psi, lockup is a slight drop in pressure then up to 110 psi, after that, 110 is as much as I see.

then, I bent the mount for the TV cable on my tranmission a bit, this took out any slack the tv cable had, and bumped all pressures up 20 psi while driving, converter in lockup slips a bit less, but still slips. shifts feel firm, but all are shifted up in the rpm band a bit. 1-2 and 2-3 will not shift at WOT, I need to back out of the throttle a bit, then it will shift. over all trans seems to slip less, but feels lethargic because it just revs out gears instread of shifting to the next.... what gives?

130 psi is the max I see, this is with a TRE valvebody, fluid is bright red and not burnt.

should I be seeing more line pressure? the lack of slip once I bent the tv cable seems to indicate the trans wants more pressure... but who knows. I know for a fact the converter is junk, its slipping progressivly more, stall seems to have bumped up to 2200 rpm, up from like 1800.

mods so far are no plate, still on the stock injectors, 2095 rack plug, 4k's, the 188 cam, valve springs... clearly not making a ton of power....

is your converter slipping or is your tps not adjusted properly? just a lil voltage change and everything will go to wack

The converter is loose, and getting progressivly looser. Plus the lock up clutch is slipping, and engaging softer than it did even with less line pressure. Neither has anything to do with TPS, the trans ****s where it should.

Any one have any opinions on what atmospheric turbos I should use to match my FMW62?

I'm getting the idea that i'm going to run out of air fast, so I'm going to start working now to amend that.

I'm going to build triples, I clearly have no experience on what works well in a triple build, but I'm thinking either two more FMW62's, ungated with .91 or .88 housing.

or, two box stock 177283's aka 63/68/.88.... I'm assuming having twinscroll housings on the primarys would not matter?

Also assuming I should keep the Primaries in the 60-63MM range?

I like my gt55 primary LOL but triples could be a blast i just have 0 experience in them.

After installing the 62 today, I'm thinking twice about triples LOL

Love the compT4 steed, but it sure does screw everything up, turbo is about 1/2 inch from the shock tower, needed to cut and re-weld the compressor cover, and the 90 degree adaptor to the intercooler tube, clearly the drain tube had to be off, and of course the downpipe is hitting the insulation on the fire wall:doh:

but hey, it runs. First test drive was laggy as hell, not spooling at all till about 2200 rpm. Came home, checked for boost leaks, then gave the pre-boost screw a couple turns in..... whole different truck.... turbo lights hard at 1800 rpm, pulls strong.

1EAED295-8706-4F51-98B4-5BEC0327C2BD-95-00000004112322EF.jpg

eventually I need to buck up and get some guages....

Converter is in.... Very very nice. OD still seems to slip, need more line pressure.

1-2 shift is crazy hard, even just idling with no throttle its a kick to the head, need to send it back and soften it up.

Maybe my 5x16's will come before the end of the year .... Its only been 5 months...

hopefully, injectors, turbo, downpipe and valvebody will come this week. cant wait to get it running like it should.

Rocker support from Weston, very nice piece.
8BA2B76C-300E-4FF9-B474-2227EABFA9DD-606-0000005F04651FD9.jpg

there she is, my main competition. looking good sir. i might have to throw up a build thread too. that way our battle of the bank accounts is on record for everyone to see.

got the injectors! truck runs like garbage :(

90% sure its just the stock 131 DV's not liking the big injectors.

runs great about 1200 rpm, under that, it surges, misses at idle, will try to stall if the idle is low enough, and takes about 2x the time to crank over if the idle is low. So right now my idle is set pretty high, and that tends to suck with the triple disk.

Also, the transmission HATES the injectors, slips in any gear unlocked, and second gear just dissappeared at one point, came back, but for about 30 seconds I had no 2nd gear at all. UGH Somehow, 3rd lock and OD lock seems to hold. I'm at about 135-140 Max line pressure right now, Tim at TRE diesel is telling me I should not go any higher with my stock direct seals....?.... I dont know at this point, its either a full rebuild with shafts, or a 5 speed swap.... leaning twards the 5 speed

also, its completely ridiculous how this transmission shifts, in all honestly, the transmission shifted better with just a shift kit, the 1-2 shift is Obserdly hard, truck lurches horrible, 2-3 is also like Jackie Chan is kicking the back of your head.

I'm quite sick of auto's at this point.

Yup! Allready have 1700 into a stock rebuild about 15k miles ago too, now with the triple disk and valve body I'm well into the price of a six speed/ triple disk clutch range

Threw the dually on the dyno today, OD was holding so why not, was hoping for anything over 450, did a best of 467 hp and 934 tq... Really happy with the TQ, hp dropped off quick at 2700 rpm. Need a fuel psi guage, all thats done to the fuel suply system right now is a pen spring in my over flow valve.

Lift pump is next, thinking of making my own pump setup with a vane pump.

Need DV's bad, but I'm loving how clean it is running, so I'm going to stay mild.

0C125499-5016-41A2-82F5-9AEFDDD850F2-1519-00000143EFF614F4.jpg

614CE31B-143B-44B3-BBFA-EE95A7A010C1-1519-00000143FE602E42.jpg

Is your band adjusted correctly? My vb can only eek out 135psi and its holding 600hp nicely.

Could not tell you... Need to check it, weirdest part is how it goes, then comes back and shifta like a fully built trans

Looks like your dyno numbers were corrected, uncorrected your HP was 482 and highest TQ was 964 ft lbs.

Are you running a 160 pump? It looks like the fueling neuters the run right when it starts to get into the peak power range. I'll bet more lift pump pressure will put you well into the 500 HP range.

Yes, its a 160, I think the lift pump pressure is really killing it. even just the pen spring was a seat-of-the pants difference in power

I'll take a correction factor if it goes against me any day, it was a cool, crisp day, I guess too perfect