Air coming out intake...why?

Smokin' LB7

I am building a P-Pumped 24V and I removed the head and put a new head gasket and studs in. Everything looked good. Adjusted valves and are all in spec.

Now when I try to turn it over, there is air coming out of the intake (I dont have any of the intercooler plumbing hooked up right now). When cranking it makes the same sound as when you a crank a duramax over with a glow plug removed.

Anybody have any ideas? I have checked valve lash again and again and it all seems good to me.

turn the engine over in the proper direction. they do make some air noise with an open intake but nothing near a pop sound!

Last edited:
piece of trash stuck on a valve not allowing it to close??? loosen all the rockers and turn it over and see if it still does it.

I'm tired and groggy as hell, but that engine looks to be turning backwards......

did you remove the injectors when you removed the head? it only sounds like one hole cylinder is leaking to me. are you sure its out of the intake plenum and not the exhuast or from an injector hole?

did you remove the injectors when you removed the head? it only sounds like one hole cylinder is leaking to me. are you sure its out of the intake plenum and not the exhuast or from an injector hole?

I have only taken the front injector out. I guess I could take them all out and replace the washers. Maybe one of them is leaking. I will also give that a shot.

If you use a European starter and your junk spins backwards...do you have to put it in reverse to go forward?

If you use a European starter and your junk spins backwards...do you have to put it in reverse to go forward?

I tried that once...it worked! Was a 2stroke Detroit! LOL
Actually...it wasn't done by the starter. It happened at a high load stall...the engine was hot, it stalled and started to fire in reverse...the smoke started coming out the intake which was right beside the driver seat...I got smoked out and cornfused and jambed the thing in gear to stall it and it went backwards so i yanked the emergency stop! Was in a log skidder! LOL

Last edited:
Not only that Rich but you have to install a AG throttle and swap your forward clutches to the rear and drill a new input hole on the backside of the convertor.