Air coming out intake...why?

haha, thanks for the help...

Not a problem:hehe: Im guessing you have the cam retainer out and you pulled it far enough out to see the front journal and the first intake and exhaust valves, right?

Not a problem:hehe: Im guessing you have the cam retainer out and you pulled it far enough out to see the front journal and the first intake and exhaust valves, right?

I could only get it out far enough to see the front journal...got stuck after that.

Can you turn the cam? Sounds like its caught on a lobe. Its just not going to slide out

Last edited:
Make sure all your lifters are pulled up. I had same issue as you because the intake on number 6 was hanging down to far. I could not see chit and kept lightly bumping against it and the cam would not come out. Then I heard the god awful sound at 2am...Tink ta tink tink. I had to pull the front cover off and go magnet fishing for tappets. Are you using dowel rods to hold your tappets up? You may have one out of the dowel just hanging out on top of the cam. Double check each one pull up lightly to insure its there and up all the way.

Good luck.

Make sure all your lifters are pulled up. I had same issue as you because the intake on number 6 was hanging down to far. I could not see chit and kept lightly bumping against it and the cam would not come out. Then I heard the god awful sound at 2am...Tink ta tink tink. I had to pull the front cover off and go magnet fishing for tappets. Are you using dowel rods to hold your tappets up? You may have one out of the dowel just hanging out on top of the cam. Double check each one pull up lightly to insure its there and up all the way.

Good luck.

I got the cam out. It looks like it is flattened out some, and has some piting in the lobes so I will have to replace it, but didnt really see anything that "should" have made air come out the intake.

Another bonus! There are metal shavings in the pan!!! YAAAAY!!!!!

Its probably just catching on the journals. If you cant get it out in the truck im betting your gona have trouble with it on a stand also. You just have to work with it. Im starting to get the impression you really shouldnt be working on these things. Not bashing just an observation

Pulled one the other day that was broken off, so you know the drill, weld a piece of pipe on it, I worked at it for a while to get it out, finally had to hit the "I Believe button" good life lessons.

Jim

Alright...update!

Will probably be replacing the cam, since its not in terrible shape, but not in great shape either. All the lobes meassured out properly, but it has some pitting and wear so I might as well just replace it while I can. Anybody got one they want to sell!?!?!

The metal shavings in the pan is definitely bearing material. So going to freshen up the bearings...so much for my drop in motor plan LOL

Pulled one the other day that was broken off, so you know the drill, weld a piece of pipe on it, I worked at it for a while to get it out, finally had to hit the "I Believe button" good life lessons.

Jim

Yea that would suck depending on were it broke. I have put some big cams in that have taken a while to get in and catch each lobe on everything. Then break the gear off that cam and fight with it for 2 hours to get it out. Just takes time and patients.

While doing new bearings you should look into your low compression also. Earlier there was talk about your low compression readings possibly being a result of a bad cam... To do a compression test you take the cam out of the equation and need all 4 valves seated. Sounds like you have some teardown work coming your way, pull the head and verify you do not have a bent valve and that they are all seating properly.