Air coming out intake...why?

I would try adjusting the valves this way before tearing the cam out.

On number 1 cylinder, rotate the engine until the exhaust push rod just starts to come up. In other words until the exhaust valve starts to close. Adjust the intake valve. Then continue to rotate the engine until the intake valve goes full open, and then just goes closed. Adjust the exhaust valve.

Repeat on the rest of the cylinders, one at a time.

Doing the valve adjustment this way will make sure that the cam follower is on the base circle, no matter what the lobe center line or lobe separtion is. If the cam has some really weird profile, this may solve the problem. I would however be cautious about running a cam that weird...

Good luck,

Paul

Thanks a lot paul. I will definitely give that a shot. Clearly I am dealing with an ultra high performance cam LOL

no matter what all the valves are gonna be the same lift on that cam. all of them will open the same ht. you must have the tappet cover off..whats it look like is goin on in there?

no matter what all the valves are gonna be the same lift on that cam. all of them will open the same ht. you must have the tappet cover off..whats it look like is goin on in there?

I dont have the cover off yet....ill post up when i get a peak

Is there anyway of telling what this cam # is for? 3942567
Stock cam number. It could have been reground with a different profile so it really tells you nothing.

how are you getting the cam in and out w/o the tappet cover off?

Put dowel rods in the lifters like Cummins service procedure has been for the last 30 years.

Last edited:
The cam wont come out, it is getting bound up on something even though all the dowels are pulled up. Had 3 people confirm this.

Pulled the motor so I can get it on a stand and just flip it upside down.

Its probably just catching on the journals. If you cant get it out in the truck im betting your gona have trouble with it on a stand also. You just have to work with it. Im starting to get the impression you really shouldnt be working on these things. Not bashing just an observation

Its probably just catching on the journals. If you cant get it out in the truck im betting your gona have trouble with it on a stand also. You just have to work with it. Im starting to get the impression you really shouldnt be working on these things. Not bashing just an observation

haha, thanks for the help...