Air coming out intake...why?

I didnt see any were but did the marks on the cam line up?
Yes it did. 2 dimples on the cam gear match the 0 on the crank gear.

Any chance the pushrod is not sitting correctly in the tappet?
I have tried to look into that. From what I can tell they are seated properly. Does the rocker bridge have to be installed a certain direction? I just put them on with out pointing those dots any particular direction

I would be really concerned with no more compression then it has on all cylinders. Im guessing what ever is causing that maybe related to the poping. As it is now it will take a can of ether to get it to start and run

That makes two of us! I might just have to pull the cam and see what's going on there.

Whats the head torqued too?
130 ft/lbs

What are the chances that there is like an industrial cam or generator cam or something like that in there? And the cam was made to run the other direction?
Not the problem. B series cummins only rotate one direction.

Check the cam gear to be sure there is a key in the keyway.

Edit: hold all that for a second....this is a p-pumped 24v? I bet someone stabbed a 12v cam into it... LOL

Last edited:
Not the problem. B series cummins only rotate one direction.

Check the cam gear to be sure there is a key in the keyway.

Edit: hold all that for a second....this is a p-pumped 24v? I bet someone stabbed a 12v cam into it... LOL

The cam gear at least isn't a 12 valve cam. Because it doesn't have the little timing pin hole in the back.

Just pulled the rockers and bridges off. All valves sit at the same level VISUALLY. So I would assume that is good. Once I get my injectors back, I am going to crank it over with no rockers on. I am guessing that will tell me whether its the head or cam.

When at TDC, should the push rods that are supposed to be closed (#1 intake/exhaust, #2 intake, #3 exhaust, #4 intake, #5 exhaust) all be at the same exact level? Or will they be a little bit uneven from each other. Mine are not even...

Lay the push rods out on a flat surface, check them for straightness and length.

Lay the push rods out on a flat surface, check them for straightness and length.

Whelp....pushrods are straight and equal...crap

I pulled the pushrods up until the tappet hit the block and it is pretty obvious that the clearance on #4 intake is much less then #1 intake. I gotta give it to the cam. Something is definitely not right. Only thing I can think of is the gear is on wrong some how, it's a goofy cam, or it's an aftermarket cam requiring a degree. Now just gotta figure out which of the three I am dealing with!

How can I tell if I have a stock cam or aftermarket or what it is?

Is it at all possible to put the gear on the wrong end of the cam? So the cam is in backwards...

Did you have the valves out of the head when it was removed? The intakes and exhausts have different angles from each other. intakes are 30* and exhaust 45*. If put in the wrong holes they wont seal properly. Maybe you have 2 switched somewhere.

Does your compression tester measure leakdown? If you pressure up the cylinders you could see for sure where the air is going. With that low of compression numbers it sure sounds like the cam is out to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Did you have the valves out of the head when it was removed? The intakes and exhausts have different angles from each other. intakes are 30* and exhaust 45*. If put in the wrong holes they wont seal properly. Maybe you have 2 switched somewhere.

Valves have not been out to my knowledge

Does your compression tester measure leakdown? If you pressure up the cylinders you could see for sure where the air is going. With that low of compression numbers it sure sounds like the cam is out to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I cant do leak down. Its just a compression tester

I am fairly certain it is the cam. The TDC vlaves that are supposed to be closed are not sitting at the same level like they should. I looked at another cam we had laying around, and it was clear that valves should all be the same exact level.

Last edited:
Before I rip this cam out...is there any other possible way for the GOOD push rods at TDC to be different heights (The ones supposed to be adjusted)?

Back