ARP Installation

zrultima

:nos:I am looking to install some ARP studs on ]my truck I am having a difficult time finding a shop who can do it at a reasonable rate in South FL. So the last resort is me doing it myself I have read countless amount of threads on it but is it really simple to do?

I went to a machine shop and had showed them the diagram and it seemed to me like they didnt know what I was talking about? So is there anyone who can guide me dont want to mess this up. I dont care to be ripped off either so if anyone knows a machine shop in south fl that can mill down the pedestals please let me know

ok So you want to put head studs in right? What year truck? Your in the 3rd Gen section 03 07 5.9 Why do you have to mill the pedestals? You need to give a little more info!

Price to mill the pedestals should be $50-$100. Its pretty easy.
Installing studs is as simple as removing and replacing a bolt. Not much to it. Just takes some time.

^^^ What he said. You should be able to do it in about 6 hours if it is your first time. Make sure you have a GOOD torque wrench. Also, I always bottom tap the hole prior to inserting the stud. The sequence is ONE at a time if you are not pulling the head, starting in the center.

Yeah Dangerous06 this is not the cumminsforum its just performance tech. The problem I am having JL is having someone mill the pedestals down do I have to bottom tap the block??? I have a friend with a Snap on if anything ill use good old Harbor freight wrench

This is competition and performance section.

My Bad was just in the other section! Bottom tapping wouldn't hurt just to be sure there is nothing in there! Blow it out and do one at a time If the head gasket is fairly new! If it's got a couple hundred thousand on it then spin the wheel and take a chance or just pull it and know for sure great time to inspect everything.

Yeah easier said then done i dont think i will pull the head to replace the gasket. The thing is i dont know how to tap the block i dont even know where to start and i dont want to do that. I am hopping just milled down the pedestal should square me away but i took it to a machine shop and they had no clie what i was talking about so i said **** it i need to find one

Bottom tapping is easy. Buy the tool and blow out each one or get a vacuum with a small attachment after tapping to get all the junk out. If you were closer I'd lend a hand.

Any machine shop should be able to help you. Just tell them to take .020 (IIRC) off each pedestal around the stud hole. If they are not familiar mark enough clearance for the nut so they know where to stop.

it looks like this:

images

Last edited:
New studs come with instructions on how to mill rockers so if the machine shop couldn't figure it out Id go elsewhere. If you don't understand how bottom tapping works Id keep looking for a mechanic to do it for you. There are plenty of great shops in FL that could do the job to make sure it doesn't give you grief. I see a lot of cheap people that want stuff fixed cheap come into my place and a lot of them fix it themselves and later have to come in to have it redone. Stud installs are easy for those of us who do them often so if you don't have the knowledge or proper tools Id recommend spending the money once to have it done right.

Im not sure where Hardway Performance is located down there but Id surely let him work on my truck if I ever had issues down there.

you may have better luck finding a local shop that knows what they are doing and just pay them...... the diesel thing is huge now ask around im sure someone can get you in contact with a good shop.

hydroshok like I said when it comes to Tapping I dont even knopw where to start, can you direct on what I need to buy I showed the machine shop the diagram with the measurement that was issued to me buy ARP and they looked at me like they didnt have a clue

CSnyder Hardway Performance is nowhere near me at all Georgia closer than they are. Its not that I am trying to be cheap either but jesus christ 600+ on a stud install thats 8 hours of labor its ridiculous.

No Mercy trust me if they werent riding me like a dumbass I would be happy to take it to one first shop I went to said 800 bucks and I just laughed at him its insulting

That just looks like a regular tap nothing special about it It probably be better to vacuum it so it wont go into the block ill have a look at that

DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEAN to clean anything if you use the vacuum to clean the hole out.

Been there done that. Have the terrifying nightmares of a vacuum cleaner fireball bomb going off in a shop to prove it. I was young and just learning :D