Bad DTT tranny problems...HELP

Phil, it was me that made the last post(stefan). Give me a call so we can get some setting for the truck.

Hey bill/stefan, any news on my pressure and lock up issue? I sent ya a PM last night and an email a while back and still haven't heard from ya.

Tyler, I'll take a look in a bit, just finishing putting on a fuel systems then I'm free.
Stefan

There are a couple of other things to take into consideration here. One of the first being that $ 8500 you state is definately not to me. A full retail unit from my shop with input , output and drum is around $ 5900 . So as for the cost you have quoted i dont know what else you had done that was includeded in that number.

As you clearly stated, i did not build the transmission. You had to change oem solenoids and an oem actuator, i dont design or sell actuators or solenoids they are oem pieces and when i have to change them out i use oem as they have better results than aftermarket, and i encourage my dealers to do the same.

As stated 2 months later, you broke the oem flexplate , and I had nothing to do with that .

A couple of months later you had to add a shift enhanser, virtually every 05 - 07 now a days has to add one to try and help out the 1 - 2 , 1- 2 shift and the 2 - 3 flare . The reason you may have had to add it at a later date is because it was just being released when you did your job as it is a relatively new product.

You also stated you broke an OPIE input shaft, whether it was an OPIE shaft , a sonnax shaft, a tcs shaft no one covers shafts anymore. I dont build them ,and in all honesty I dont blame them as with trucks applications, weight , torque ect . they are honestly amazing that they can hold what they are.

In my race cars the shafts are advertised as unbreakable , i have broken 3 already. We broke one on the first stall test .The mfg. did not care. I had to buy another one.

The flexplate bolt holes being elongagated , i did not install the plate so how has this all become my fault. I did not sell it with elongated holes.

I understand where you are comming frrom as far as breaking things as i have done it on my racecars and had to do it again and did not like it either and will continue to do so but unfortunately i have to pay to play.

As for shafts, virtually all of the vendors buy from the same place and we all get no warranty either. The biggest reason guys are putting the billet shafts in and that we recommend them is that the guys can play harder for longer than they can on the oem ones.

I never give the impression that you cannot break them . There was a time when 700 hp was high and they rarely broke. Since then times have changed and so has the power.

Opie does warrantee shafts. However there is no warranty when they are ran in DTT transmissions, ran with a ATS or DTT flexplate or when agreed not to have one with the dealer. OPIE has a few choices in inputs and they are all rated by the torq they can handle. As most everyone else knows for $300 I will update most exsisting inputs with a new shaft and restart the 2 year warranty. Times have changed, hp has changed and IE still has the strongest transmission components available. :thankyou2:

Opie does warrantee shafts. However there is no warranty when they are ran in DTT transmissions, ran with a ATS or DTT flexplate or when agreed not to have one with the dealer. OPIE has a few choices in inputs and they are all rated by the torq they can handle. As most everyone else knows for $300 I will update most exsisting inputs with a new shaft and restart the 2 year warranty. Times have changed, hp has changed and IE still has the strongest transmission components available. :thankyou2:

Why would the warranty be void if used with an ATS or DTT flexplate ? If you don't mind my asking. What's the best flexplate to be used with an Opie Input ?

Thanks

Why would the warranty be void if used with an ATS or DTT flexplate ? If you don't mind my asking. What's the best flexplate to be used with an Opie Input ?

Thanks
An Opie flexplate. The reason is that it actually flexes, unlike the solid billet plates.

It's called a flex plate for a reason. They allow a small amount of flex to help take out some strain on the tranny.

Thanks

Track record.

As for flexplates, I don't recommend the one by CAT Power either. Pretty much every other flexplate is has been fine. There are several customers running BD's, SunCoast's, Reactor ect... IE has made their own version but we have too many other unique things that need to be made.

I figured it would all get down to track record for the most part.

I realize what the purpose is for the flex plate. thanks for the reply anyhow!

Thanks Opie!

It's called a flex plate for a reason. They allow a small amount of flex to help take out some strain on the tranny.

exactly. I can show you a DTT flexplate here in CS that had NO flex and has egg shaped holes for the crank and converter :badidea:

How much does that Reactor plate flex compared to the billet plates??

Dave
In non-technical terms, I can hit the reactor that's bolted to my engine with the palm of my hand and it will flex ~1/8". I tried that with a billet ATS and my hand hurt but it didn't move.

I wonder if anyone has done any actual flexplate technical testing. I obviously do not have the means to do so, but I sure would like to see how the various products compare.

What I find odd is that even though the name implies flexing, usually that is a very bad thing in automatic transmissions. Going back to my gasser experience, I can't count how many TH400 were wasted by a flexplate that moved too much. Not to mention engines that were taken out due to excessive forward thrust from the TC and pump.

The fix in those cases is a plate that is more rigid. I would guess we are dealing with similar phenomenons. Although the torque is happening at a much lower threshold and more of it. Again, leads me back to questioning the amount of flex that is allowable and claimed negative effects of billet flexplates.

Of course, the bolt circle of the flexplate compared to the centerline of the crank would also have to be a consideration. As the same amount of total deflection in a larger bolt circle would mean the plate actually moved less at that radius. But again, just thinking out loud.

Dave