Bad DTT tranny problems...HELP

From what I remember he had welded a couple of the clutch packs together and had rippled the output shaft.

I wanna see a rippled output shaft. He said it didn't break. It was rippled. Whatever the hell that means.

This is a great can of worms you've opened! My wifes common rail has a full built DTT. It does 650-700 at the wheels...Well here's the whole story. 2 years ago we took her truck to have the tranny built. 8500.00 or so later we rolled out with a DTT.4 months later we had to put solenoids and a acuator valve in it. 2 months after that she took out the stock flex plate...ok should of put a billet one in it; so this time we did. a couple of months later more solenoids. A couple of months later we put an "exclusive shift enhancer" on to help with shutter on the 48re. Exclusive meaning a little box with 3 settings that raises line pressure. 2 months later tranny goes out! So we load it up and take it back to the tranny builder. Well it has an input shaft made by OP. They had problems with them..the splines sheared off and put shavings though the tranny. Bill kondolay will not warranty it cause he says its OP's problem. Well there's another 5000.00. with a new Sonnex shaft And we upgraded to a triple disc. Drove it home started acting up again...another set of solenoids and acuator valve. 2 weeks later it messes up again well thats a valve body. Then its been fine for a while.. last weekend we started hearing a noise..pulled it apart the bolt holes on the billet flexplate are elongated . Well almost $15000.00 grand later were ok. Are tranny builder is one of the best and i don't blame him he is one of the best..However I do blame Bill kondolay from DTT for not standing behind his products..Just throwing the blame to someone else . she drives it every day and she does drive it hard but she doesn't beat on it..No sledpulling, No burnouts.. one would think this should hold up to that. So I sure hope you have better luck than us.

There are a couple of other things to take into consideration here. One of the first being that $ 8500 you state is definately not to me. A full retail unit from my shop with input , output and drum is around $ 5900 . So as for the cost you have quoted i dont know what else you had done that was includeded in that number.

As you clearly stated, i did not build the transmission. You had to change oem solenoids and an oem actuator, i dont design or sell actuators or solenoids they are oem pieces and when i have to change them out i use oem as they have better results than aftermarket, and i encourage my dealers to do the same.

As stated 2 months later, you broke the oem flexplate , and I had nothing to do with that .

A couple of months later you had to add a shift enhanser, virtually every 05 - 07 now a days has to add one to try and help out the 1 - 2 , 1- 2 shift and the 2 - 3 flare . The reason you may have had to add it at a later date is because it was just being released when you did your job as it is a relatively new product.

You also stated you broke an OPIE input shaft, whether it was an OPIE shaft , a sonnax shaft, a tcs shaft no one covers shafts anymore. I dont build them ,and in all honesty I dont blame them as with trucks applications, weight , torque ect . they are honestly amazing that they can hold what they are.

In my race cars the shafts are advertised as unbreakable , i have broken 3 already. We broke one on the first stall test .The mfg. did not care. I had to buy another one.

The flexplate bolt holes being elongagated , i did not install the plate so how has this all become my fault. I did not sell it with elongated holes.

I understand where you are comming frrom as far as breaking things as i have done it on my racecars and had to do it again and did not like it either and will continue to do so but unfortunately i have to pay to play.

As for shafts, virtually all of the vendors buy from the same place and we all get no warranty either. The biggest reason guys are putting the billet shafts in and that we recommend them is that the guys can play harder for longer than they can on the oem ones.

I never give the impression that you cannot break them . There was a time when 700 hp was high and they rarely broke. Since then times have changed and so has the power.

Bill, I understand where you come, but I can not completely take your side after my experience this past summer...

You hooked me up with my fourth DTT converter last month and I couldn't be happier with it and I thank you for it!

What you need to realize is that you could possibly have the best transmissions available as far as your setup procedure/billet parts combination, but I have to say that your customer service/ standing behind your product, could use a tune up. (I know this because I experienced it first hand last summer.)

I'm not saying this to bash you or DTT, I'm saying this because I like your transmission and I want you to be successful. I own a small business myself and I know how hard it is to tell my customer that I WAS WRONG or MY PRODUCT FAILED, but I still have to do it if/when it happens. I hope that you do not take offense to this and can use this as a little bit of advise from somebody who has bought 3 DTT transmissions (my brother, Dad, and I all have one).

Lavon

The bill for the build was 7k That was for billet input and drum,billet output, storm torque convertor, clutch packs , billet servo,piston, high energy band strut , deep pan etc. And labor and fluid. The stock flexplate was not your fault. All the solenoids and actuators came from dodge. The first billet flexplate was a dtt piece that was about 600.00 The second build bill was 3810. That was for a new input shaft, upgrade to a triple disc convertor and I went ahead and had a new set of clutches in it..The old ones weren't that bad but at this point better safe than sorry. The second valve body was 500. something. The second flexplate was 600.00 With every thing including the 3 sets of solenoids and acuator is 14100.00 thats not including tarnny fluid changes! I'm not bashing anyone! But you can see my situation when i'm afraid to take the truck on a vacation because of all the problems. My tranny man has been the only help to us he is awesome...again i don't blame him at all!

I had my staff look up your file, and as far as the flexplate , who put that in ? If they had properly installed it you have no reason to buy another one.
I know that in my shop i have had to eat that once when my own guy did that. I had to eat the labor the new plate and as it was my own shop i even paid for the towing as I felt bad for the customer. I know no one covers towing but i did it . As for the valve body , a completely new application valve body was ordered with a medium livestock set up and we did not charge out at the new valve body pricing. It was only a couple hundred bucks plus the core charge eventhough your old one was nothing like the new one we sent out.

We have to put a core charge on them as i dont think your original core is even back in our shop yet and that was from October 2007 .

I dis agree with not bashing anyone, no one is perfect and i know that **** happens, but you personally attacked me and i am the guy that discounted your tc when you went to the new one ,and i am the guy that discounted your valve body when you changed the application . You got your stuff at a discount and i dont even have the old stuff back .

And again we are not bashing anyone,we are just stating our problems that we have had with out tranny & the money we have spend, but we completely know that if you want to play you have too pay.

For those wondering about the double nickles truck, i dont know if it is done yet or not but it has left here. He sent his in and we changed his unit to a super single with the billet cover for $ 400 plus shipping .

Last edited:
I have to ask cause I'm dying to know, what does a rippled output shaft look like?

It's my word against yours & I know how I feel so let's leave it at that.I am not going to sit here & battle it out with you. I am not like that & if I was you would have done heard from me along time ago when I was pissed off because of my tranny problems. Sorry for your inconvience!!

I wonder why 2 different DTT builders have told me they are the only DTT dealers authorized to build their own valve bodies in house?

Pooler....checks your PM's after i write it.

Phil, DTT sells shift kits to dealers and retail so that guys can build there own Valve Body if they have the mechanical ability, it's obviously tougher than installing a full VB. But we supply the seperator plate done, springs, and valves per application, but technically it's not a DTT Valve Body because DTT didn't build and test it in our shop. So what I am trying to say is the only shop that builds DTT Valve Bodies is DTT. Most of our Dealers don't like to build the Valve Bodies themselves because they don't have the testing equipment which means the testing would have to be done in the truck then if a change is needed the VB would need to be removed and modded. By the time they were to do that there would be no money made. Although doing a kit will speed up an order as VB cores are becoming harder to come bye, which increases delivery time.

Phil, DTT sells shift kits to dealers and retail so that guys can build there own Valve Body if they have the mechanical ability, it's obviously tougher than installing a full VB. But we supply the seperator plate done, springs, and valves per application, but technically it's not a DTT Valve Body because DTT didn't build and test it in our shop. So what I am trying to say is the only shop that builds DTT Valve Bodies is DTT. Most of our Dealers don't like to build the Valve Bodies themselves because they don't have the testing equipment which means the testing would have to be done in the truck then if a change is needed the VB would need to be removed and modded. By the time they were to do that there would be no money made. Although doing a kit will speed up an order as VB cores are becoming harder to come bye, which increases delivery time.

that makes a lot more sense. Both dealers that told me that were spouting off, i guess wanting me to think they were really good or something.

oh yea i gotta call yall back about a shift enhanser today....the one i sold off my cummins.

Back