banks at sema (look out BO)

From Wiki

[edit] Internal combustion engine
Main article: Nitrous
In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) is sometimes injected into the intake manifold (or prior to the intake manifold), whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power. The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and air and resulting in more powerful combustion. Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder.

The same technique was used during World War II by Luftwaffe aircraft with the GM 1 system to boost the power output of aircraft engines. Originally meant to provide the Luftwaffe standard aircraft with superior high-altitude performance, technological considerations limited its use to extremely high altitudes. Accordingly, it was only used by specialized planes like high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, high-speed bombers and high-altitude interceptors.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent preignition, or detonation (sometimes referred to as knocking or pinging). Most problems that are associated with nitrous do not come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston/Cylinder Head/valves, to predetonation.

From Wiki

[edit] Internal combustion engine
Main article: Nitrous
In vehicle racing, nitrous oxide (often referred to as just "nitrous" in this context to differ from the acronym NOS which is the brand Nitrous Oxide Systems) is sometimes injected into the intake manifold (or prior to the intake manifold), whereas other systems directly inject right before the cylinder (direct port injection) to increase power. The gas itself is not flammable, but it delivers more oxygen than atmospheric air by breaking down at elevated temperatures, allowing the engine to burn more fuel and air and resulting in more powerful combustion. Nitrous oxide is stored as a compressed liquid; the evaporation and expansion of liquid nitrous oxide in the intake manifold causes a large drop in intake charge temperature, resulting in a denser charge, further allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder.

The same technique was used during World War II by Luftwaffe aircraft with the GM 1 system to boost the power output of aircraft engines. Originally meant to provide the Luftwaffe standard aircraft with superior high-altitude performance, technological considerations limited its use to extremely high altitudes. Accordingly, it was only used by specialized planes like high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft, high-speed bombers and high-altitude interceptors.

One of the major problems of using nitrous oxide in a reciprocating engine is that it can produce enough power to damage or destroy the engine. Very large power increases are possible, and if the mechanical structure of the engine is not properly reinforced, the engine may be severely damaged or destroyed during this kind of operation. It is very important with nitrous oxide augmentation of internal combustion engines to maintain proper operating temperatures and fuel levels to prevent preignition, or detonation (sometimes referred to as knocking or pinging). Most problems that are associated with nitrous do not come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston/Cylinder Head/valves, to predetonation.

Back my old high school days (after dinosaurs but before VCR's) I had a couple buddies that tried Nitrous. Of course having the good judgment of most teenagers, they went big right off the bat instead of working their way up from a safe starting point...... boy its amazing how fast nitrous can turn a running engine into a molten pile of goo

We must be talking about the reel to reel period. :hehe:

Its amazing how far all these technologies have come. Digital controllers, computer monitoring, data loggers, etc.

So what Im gathering in this all is that, there is no cng of any type on the s-10????? I have herd that 1 of those bottles are CNG and the other 2 are nitrous???? if so 90lbs of nitrous is nuts. (gotta cover up that smoke some how) cause did gale say " we are going through pistons like its a good thing.We`re not changing them every run like I did with my nitro-burning rails and drag boats, but we`re changing them too damn often for a diesel"...that came strait from Mr.Banks in the Dec. issue of diesel power mag....pg# 56 that is......LOL

Like Cybermrc said, there's NO CNG on the truck. And the bottles are standard 12.5 lb carbon bottles, just like you would get from Nitrous Express, ZEX, NOS, or any other manufacturer. And we don't use all 25 lbs., there's two bottles now. The point of refilling after every round is to ensure the proper pressure in the bottles, heaters only go so far. You can't inject nitrous as a gas and expect the phase change (the one that isn't going to happen because it's already a gas) to absorb any heat and cool the engine.

Later
Chris

Back my old high school days (after dinosaurs but before VCR's)

Torque, do you remember Radar Ranges?

If you want to feel real old, my mom had one of the first Radar Ranges in her high school cooking class.

However, I do remember when a 133MHz processor was fast...does that count?

Torque, do you remember Radar Ranges?

If you want to feel real old, my mom had one of the first Radar Ranges in her high school cooking class.

However, I do remember when a 133MHz processor was fast...does that count?

Nope don't remember radar ranges :) But I do remember as a young child playing with a friends dad's reel to reel

My first computer purchase was a 133MHz out of the computer shopper back when it was the size of a large phone book. At that time it was top of the line, I doubled the standard RAM from 8 to 16 megs, the hard drive was upgraded to 4 gig..... which was huge, and the 17" monitor was considered large..... all this for the bargain basement price of $3,300...... although that did include upgraded altec lansing speakers with sub and a Microsoft ergo keyboard.

BTW, I graduated HS the year Regan took office (1st term).

sorry about derailing the topic...... carry on

Nope don't remember radar ranges :) But I do remember as a young child playing with a friends dad's reel to reel

My first computer purchase was a 133MHz out of the computer shopper back when it was the size of a large phone book. At that time it was top of the line, I doubled the standard RAM from 8 to 16 megs, the hard drive was upgraded to 4 gig..... which was huge, and the 17" monitor was considered large..... all this for the bargain basement price of $3,300...... although that did include upgraded altec lansing speakers with sub and a Microsoft ergo keyboard.

BTW, I graduated HS the year Regan took office (1st term).

sorry about derailing the topic...... carry on

I remember the first one my dad bought. IBM XT. blazing 4.44mhz 8086 in "turbo mode". 256K ram I believe. 2, yes 2 20meg MFM haddrives and a 300 baud modem.

I broke it several times as a kid.. I recall "backing UP" with a shoe box full of 5 1/4" floppy disks.

I long for the days of printing banners on the linefeed printer

much later when we were well into 486's, I recall installing CPM/86 Os on it.

I think it'th thilly that everything you have ith called a thidewinder.

Pleathe.

We finally retired our 80486DX-33 Zeos computer last week.
It ran for over 15 years 365 days a year, 24hrs/day, only being turned off when moved or adding things to it.

Pat used it for CAD/CAM development, 3D modeling, CMM data analysis, BBS server. It cost over $2,000, and was delivered with 1meg ram, floppy drive, black and white monitor. No mouse, hard drive, or CD player.

They don't make them like that anymore. Our new computers last about 3 years tops.

We finally retired our 80486DX-33 Zeos computer last week.
It ran for over 15 years 365 days a year, 24hrs/day, only being turned off when moved or adding things to it.

Pat used it for CAD/CAM development, 3D modeling, CMM data analysis, BBS server. It cost over $2,000, and was delivered with 1meg ram, floppy drive, black and white monitor. No mouse, hard drive, or CD player.

They don't make them like that anymore. Our new computers last about 3 years tops.

$30,000 servers are swapped out in 2-3 years typically.

We still have some mainframes in place and we are replacing a 10 year old SAN for I think the AS/400's that is finally out of support..

Old stuff is supported way long then it should of, new stuff is supported just right, to keep up with technology

Where I work it's cool to see the 15-20 year old stuff mesh perfectly with the $1,000,000 brand spanking new stuff.