Banks Technicooler & High Ram

Banks stuff just makes me giggle!!

I read the other day that their rated pressure drop of the High Ram intake was at a flow rate of something like 800 or 850 CFM to make comparisons to the stocker and competitors pieces.

The funny thing...there is NEVER 800 CFM going through that piece...shoot, on my truck with twins and 60 psi of boost @ 3200 RPM, the engine can only consume 331 CFM....hmmm don't you just love marketing!!!

Don't like the maximum CFM we show huh? OK, pick any flow rate you like below. If you know of a flow bench that can produce 60psi I'd love to see it.

highramwithoutgrid.jpg

And 331cfm at 60psi works out to around 833cfm at the turbo inlet.

Last edited:
i dont have a dog in this fight but that is a cute graph. anyone good with a computer can make a graph like that. of course it is gonna show all 3 of Banks products flowing the best, isnt that what advertising is all about? i know the Banks Big Hoss side draft intake manifold works, but i am sorry, there is no way that the 3.5" and 3" Banks intake horn outflow the Wilsons Manifold setup. the Wilsons had alot better intake horn design that the Banks, regardless fs it is 3.5" at the inlet, it still necks down to 2 1/2" x 3 1/4". i have a Banks Intercooler and am very happy with it. the only other things that Banks does make that are good, are the Big Hoss Intake manifolds, for the Duramax and the Cummins. the rest of the tuning crap is not worth it. Gale is a very smart guy when it comes to his personal toys/shop vehicles, they rock but when it comes to the consumer we get left out because he is too busy worring about making his Duramax powered S-10 faster.its funny how he can set land speed records with the Sidewinder and have a stupid fast Dmax but cant make bad a$$ programmer for the public. it comes down to this, when a company has horrible customer service and a less than average product they can spend all the money they want on advertising and saying they are the best. but the vast majority of people know that Gale Banks is concerned about Gale Banks.

i dont have a dog in this fight but that is a cute graph. anyone good with a computer can make a graph like that. We didn't bother with that, we ACTUALLY tested them on the flow bench and there's the results. Feel free to test them yourself, you'll get the same results. of course it is gonna show all 3 of Banks products flowing the best, isnt that what advertising is all about? No that's what testing is all about. But again, if you can show proof that our manifold doesn't flow like we say it does let's see test results. i know the Banks Big Hoss side draft intake manifold works, but i am sorry, there is no way that the 3.5" and 3" Banks intake horn outflow the Wilsons Manifold setup. Please feel free to post the test results proving this. The wilson manifold couldn't even outflow the AFE manifold let alone ours. the Wilsons had alot better intake horn design that the Banks, regardless fs it is 3.5" at the inlet, it still necks down to 2 1/2" x 3 1/4". (would you like to put some money on this?) i have a Banks Intercooler and am very happy with it. the only other things that Banks does make that are good, are the Big Hoss Intake manifolds, for the Duramax and the Cummins. the rest of the tuning crap is not worth it. Gale is a very smart guy when it comes to his personal toys/shop vehicles, they rock but when it comes to the consumer we get left out because he is too busy worring about making his Duramax powered S-10 faster.its funny how he can set land speed records with the Sidewinder and have a stupid fast Dmax but cant make bad a$$ programmer for the public. it comes down to this, when a company has horrible customer service and a less than average product they can spend all the money they want on advertising and saying they are the best. but the vast majority of people know that Gale Banks is concerned about Gale Banks.

Feel free to run the flow bench test yourself if you don't bleive the results. And as for the High Ram outlet size, well you're wrong there too:

OLD version is red NEW version is silver:
old-newinlet.jpg

old-new.jpg

As for the others:
afe.jpg

new-afe.jpg

ats.jpg

new-ats.jpg

cfm.jpg

new-cfm.jpg

sb.jpg

new-sb.jpg

Last edited:
take a measurment across the bottom of the intake horn and tell me what you get. it is still a bottleneck, it does not make a difference if it has a 5 inch opening for the boost tube it still necks down at the bottom of the intake horn. you can only cram so much boosted air into given area before the air becomes turbulent and is not as effecient. so you have a 3.5 inch opening for the boosted air to come in, then your intake horn expands out then it necks down to the normal 5.9 Cummins intake plate opening, also have 2 bolts that are in the intake track. it is kinda like trying to put 10 gallons of
sh1t in a 1 gallon bucket. in the pick that i have look at the intake whole intake horn, it is 3.5" at the inlet and continues the 3.5" all the way and opens up at the bottom of the horn.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 50
Boosted, I don't think you are going to change his mind, but my hat is off to you for trying:clap:

since i am wrong about my measurments, here is a pic of the Banks Race 3.5 intake horn in all its glory. lets see what it measures up to be

Attachments

• wheels and hood for sale 002.jpg
    wheels and hood for sale 002.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 35
  • wheels and hood for sale 004.jpg
    wheels and hood for sale 004.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 33
  • wheels and hood for sale 006.jpg
    wheels and hood for sale 006.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 32
take a measurment across the bottom of the intake horn and tell me what you get. 3"x3" almost exactly, it's the largest size possible without being larger then the base plate inlet it is still a bottleneck, it does not make a difference if it has a 5 inch opening for the boost tube it still necks down at the bottom of the intake horn. wrong again, inlet area is 7.548 inches vs the outlet at about 9 inches you can only cram so much boosted air into given area before the air becomes turbulent and is not as effecient. Which is why we machined it to it's largest possible size so you have a 3.5 inch opening for the boosted air to come in, then your intake horn expands out then it necks down to the normal 5.9 Cummins intake plate opening, also have 2 bolts that are in the intake track BEEP, try again, , and all the flow data above was WITH the bolts in place, it had no effect of the flow in any way. it is kinda like trying to put 10 gallons of
sh1t in a 1 gallon bucket. in the pick that i have look at the intake whole intake horn, it is 3.5" at the inlet and continues the 3.5" all the way and opens up at the bottom of the horn.

You're just going to have to accept the fact that our manifold has a larger inlet, larger outlet and the highest flow of any manifold on the market. So please if you can prove your theory that any other bolt on manifold flows better then ours please feel free to post it up:D

Boosted, I don't think you are going to change his mind, but my hat is off to you for trying:clap:

He can continue trying, fact is he's flat wrong (see below)

since i am wrong about my measurments You sure are, here is a pic of the Banks Race 3.5 intake horn in all its glory. lets see what it measures up to be

The funny part here is the fact of the matter is that you don't even have the Race manifold. You have a version we haven't made in over a year. Here's the comparison again since you missed it. Your manifold is on the left and the race manifold is on the right:

old-new.jpg

Last edited:
You're just going to have to accept the fact that our manifold has a larger inlet, larger outlet and the highest flow of any manifold on the market. So please if you can prove your theory that any other bolt on manifold flows better then ours please feel free to post it up:D

LOL, highest flow on the market:umno: does Gale send you guys to a salesmans school for b.s.

ive got the whole kit on my truck bought it used but for the money its a pretty decent buy. you get alot more than just the intercooler for the same money. the only thing I dont care for is the studs for the intake are kind of low quality other than that its an overall nice kit

He can continue trying, fact is he's flat wrong (see below)

The funny part here is the fact of the matter is that you don't even have the Race manifold. You have a version we haven't made in over a year. Here's the comparison again since you missed it. Your manifold is on the left and the race manifold is on the right:

old-new.jpg

boy so that is what makes it the highest flowing intake horn on the market:bang

boy so that is what makes it the highest flowing intake horn on the market:bang

That, the larger inlet than any other (you keep forgetting that ALL the others have a 3 inch inlet), the smoother transitions and we have the flowbench test results to prove it :

With the heater grid in:

highramwithgrid.jpg

And without:

highramwithoutgrid.jpg

show the whole internet community a test that has been done by an outside company, not at the Banks facility, of every intake horn on the market to back up the statement that yours is the highest flowing on the market

show the whole internet community a test that has been done by an outside company, not at the Banks facility, of every intake horn on the market to back up the statement that yours is the highest flowing on the market

How about you show me a flow comparison done by ANY other company? It's not hard to do, we used a Superflow sf-1020 for the testing.

those graphs you have are the same ones in Diesel Power Magazine on the Banks adds. show everyone a real graph. not one that was designed for advertisement

and your company is alway gonna say it has the highest flowing, that is the way it works. what about an unbias opinion, someone who cares less who's intake flows better and flows all intake horns, at a nuetral shop that has no ties any manufacturer of any intake horn.

those graphs you have are the same ones in Diesel Power Magazine on the Banks adds. show everyone a real graph. not one that was designed for advertisement

Actually those aren't the ones in the magazine ads. The ones in the ads just show a boost gain over the stock manifold (feel free to take a look). The graphs above were put together by our engineering team and were never used by our marketing department. Please try again:D

and your company is alway gonna say it has the highest flowing, that is the way it works. That's what we show our test results for what about an unbias opinion, someone who cares less who's intake flows better and flows all intake horns, at a nuetral shop that has no ties any manufacturer of any intake horn.
The problem with this is that I doubt you'd accept it anyway. You have already made up your mind that our manifold is inferior. Not because you have seen the tests (or any testing for that matter) but just because it says "Banks" on it. You yourself even sated that Gale knows what he's doing when it comes to airflow. (I doubt that would get an argument even in here).