Banks Technicooler & High Ram

The graphs above were put together by our engineering team and were never used by our marketing department. Please try again

Wow, thanks for the data!!! Extremely helpful...

By the way, that dyno cell looks extremely clean and well layed out! Yes, I've toured the labs at Detroit Diesel, and they're no where near what yours looks like!

jbarker,

I'm just curious if the problem with the manifolds breaking when torquing down the nuts on the studs has been fixed. I have one that broke one of the mounting tabs in the fat part of the intake. It got welded back in place and then sure enough, within a year, the other one broke through with no way of getting it welded back right and not looking like ass. I did like running it but there's no way I'm paying for another one with what looks like the same mounting thats already broke on me twice. Maybe I got a bad casting on the manifold but I'm not taking a chance on that happening again.

In your graph with no grid heater, what are you using as a spacer for the one line of results?

On the flowbench test we actually tested the high ram two ways. The first run was with the factory spacer but with the grid inside it removed. The second run was with our ported spacer (heater grid delete) which is shaped to exactly fit the baseplate opening and the opening in the high ram. As for the broken high ram you had, well, we don't get any complaints on that at all. I would have to say it was either a bad casting or it was over torqued when it was installed. The MAX torque that should be applied when it's installed is 150 lb-in.

Don't like the maximum CFM we show huh? OK, pick any flow rate you like below. If you know of a flow bench that can produce 60psi I'd love to see it.

highramwithoutgrid.jpg

And 331cfm at 60psi works out to around 833cfm at the turbo inlet.

hmmm at what temperature????

If it's 100% efficient intercooling, then it would be 1682 CFM at the turbo inlet.

Assuming 200F at the CAC outlet, and 60F at the Turbo Inlet then it is a more realistic 1459 CFM at the turbo inlet.

...As for the broken high ram you had, well, we don't get any complaints on that at all. I would have to say it was either a bad casting or it was over torqued when it was installed. The MAX torque that should be applied when it's installed is 150 lb-in.

I torque mine to 120-130 lb/in. = ~10 lb/ft. What's the odds of getting it traded out towards a new one? It's nothing more than a paperweight now.

Wow, thanks for the data!!! Extremely helpful...

By the way, that dyno cell looks extremely clean and well layed out! Yes, I've toured the labs at Detroit Diesel, and they're no where near what yours looks like!

For those that don’t know, or have not read Gales Blogs on their web site, Information is gold, and the more you have, the more educated decisions you can make .

Gale is a information junkie, I bet that there is 150 lbs of Dataloger equipment on their race cars .
Some of information is critical, and some tells stories people didn’t know to even ask.

For a little insight about Gale, no matter what anyone of the herd says, he is the real deal, and I’m proud to have had the opportunity to have talked with him for hours on end.

One question… Why would you think He has the infrastructure he has? I mean they have a campus out there that is huge, several hundred people working.

Just like the racers that seem to always get parts and help for projects , it’s simple ….

I’ve seen the airflow engineers at GBE beat on the flow bench, and then print , and I said print on a 3D printer a new intake part to find a few CFM. These guys are for the most part the best engineers in their field, and they get paid like it as well.

Flame all you want, I am so sick of ignorant people who know very little , but repeat the gossip.

What Greg's reffering to is this:

5_the_fridge.jpg

It's a Fusion Deposition Modeling (FDM) unit:

6_in_the_fridge.jpg

This lets our engineering team design the part in the computer and then "print out" the prototype part (the parts are plastic):

7_out_of_fridge.jpg

10_parts_before.jpg

This lets them design dozens of different versions as often as they need to, and then run the tests on the flow bench.

One question… Why would you think He has the infrastructure he has? I mean they have a campus out there that is huge, several hundred people working.

The "Herd Mentality" you speak about. That's why!!

What Greg's reffering to is this:

5_the_fridge.jpg

It's a Fusion Deposition Modeling (FDM) unit:

6_in_the_fridge.jpg

This lets our engineering team design the part in the computer and then "print out" the prototype part (the parts are plastic):

7_out_of_fridge.jpg

10_parts_before.jpg

This lets them design dozens of different versions as often as they need to, and then run the tests on the flow bench.

hey that stuff is kinda cute...reminds me of when I was in College

Ok, lets put this in perspective.

I took the liberty to add another little bit of info to the Banks chart.

It also now shows air volume consumed by a 4 cycle 5.9 Liter engine in both theoretical 100% VE and 89% VE from 0 to 5000 RPM...

also, it takes 27.72 inches of water to equal 1 psi.

what does this really say.....

nothing we already did not know...intake horns regardless of make really do not make any appreciable difference im performance

Attachments

• BanksflowVSRpm.JPG
    BanksflowVSRpm.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 42
You are wasting your time trying to convice this crowd, cowboy.
This reminds me of the time I got into an argument with a pig. The pig never stopped rooting, and I wasted my time. :bang

wonder why ??? it's guys like these that make parts so #uckin expensive...

well if Banks really stands behinds his products, has to take up 8 pages in Diesel Power about how good his stuff works, and is confident that he makes the best stuff out there, then why doesnt Gale run his own electronics that the consumer can purchase in his project vehicles?

Someone wanted a bash Banks Thread, and it didn't turn out that way, so it wasn't fun anymore. I wished I could show some really cool picture, but I can’t .

Oh well, I’m back in Kool-Aid 7 step program, day one. My name is Greg and I drink the Kool-Aid.
By the way, I do not mean disrespect by the Kool-aid reference. It’s really complement to the total dedication that the people exhibit that work there

I'm still going to give it my best to out run them

well if Banks really stands behinds his products, has to take up 8 pages in Diesel Power about how good his stuff works, and is confident that he makes the best stuff out there, then why doesnt Gale run his own electronics that the consumer can purchase in his project vehicles?
No offense intended, but exactly what contribution have you made to the diesel motorsport?

well i have a 2004 ford with the intercooler and all the pipping i put it in it dropped the intake temp 200- 300 degrees and it made a world of difference i also have there monster exhaust but i am not as happy with that but the intercooler is a good one.

can i get some test data on the 3.5" inlet intercooler over say a spearco. Thinking of switching to the banks

Back