Banks Top Dragster final assembly**Spy Shots**

Is Wes driving the rail also? If so, chunk the gated shifter set up in it like you use on the truck that he is used to and see how it does. Id want to go back with the air stuff later though once all the baselines were had to see if theres any more time left on the table due to the poss. of time lost manualy shifting...

The only problem with swapping in the manual shifter is that... the transmission is 6' behind Wes now. No dice.

Been talking to Craig Liberty extensively - there's a couple unknowns, still, but it seems to be partly due to the way the trans releases.

Man that sucks! Sorry to see that. IDK anything abiut these trannies, but it definitely looks like something is keeping it from beeing slid into that gear set. Do these have a synchro used in the gear sets? I have seen big eatons get fine burs on the tips of the synchros in the back boxes and the shift collar will do the same thing yours looks like. Good luck, that definitely is a head scratcher.

Anyone in the Banks camp......

Did you guys get any partial runs in that you want to talk about, 60ft time, 1/8th time & speed, etc.

Just wondering if any there is anything positive to report while fighting the tranny gremlins.

The only problem with swapping in the manual shifter is that... the transmission is 6' behind Wes now. No dice.

Matt i'm wondering if you guys talked about the clutch , are you slipping the clutch at all I'm thinking if there is alot of grip on the gear while trying to shift and the clutch is locked it might be too much for the fork assy to overcome? you got to be makin a ton of torque at your 3-4 shift

Considered a 2 speed Bruno/Liberty ? Less parts, less weight and still get the job done just fine.

A friends car ran one untill they switched to a Rossler a week or so ago...the old one didn't shift on one 1/8th mile pass in Valdosta, Ga a month or so ago and still went 4.53 @ 157...in 1st gear. LOL

Since everyone is all about the torque. Could you not consider a smaller version of the top fuel drive line?

I agree!!! Direct drive with a killer clutch would be the better option in my oppinion.

it definitely looks like something is keeping it from beeing slid into that gear set. Do these have a synchro used in the gear sets?

We think the problem is actually the gearsets banging back and forth against air pressure when there shouldn't be any - we're going to do some more instrumentation (sensors on every air control line) to see what's awry.

Anyone in the Banks camp......

Did you guys get any partial runs in that you want to talk about, 60ft time, 1/8th time & speed, etc.

Just wondering if any there is anything positive to report while fighting the tranny gremlins.

Not much, sadly - 191 trap speed in AZ two weekends ago was our best MPH, and it was in horrible weather.

There's other new, super-secret squirrel stuff that we've got going on in the engine internally and on the controls side, and all that's working well. Can't give up details on any of that yet though.

Is Liberty swap'n $$ with ya?

Hasn't charged us for replacement parts or overnight shipping, and Craig's been very accessible - unfortunately, we're both still at a bit of a loss as to what's going on inside the box.

Hopefully some further instrumentation will help us get the problem nailed down. We're getting too good and R&R'ing the trans.

Last edited:
Considered a 2 speed Bruno/Liberty ? Less parts, less weight and still get the job done just fine.

A friends car ran one untill they switched to a Rossler a week or so ago...the old one didn't shift on one 1/8th mile pass in Valdosta, Ga a month or so ago and still went 4.53 @ 157...in 1st gear. LOL

I'll never put a Bruno into a diesel-engined racecar again - they just don't work when you can't get enough converter for our (relatively) low speed / high power applications.

Two speeds might work with a sloppy converter, but again, we don't want to go there - too much slip, and loss.

Since everyone is all about the torque. Could you not consider a smaller version of the top fuel drive line?

We don't have enough power to slip something that big and generate enough forward drive for long enough.

We also don't have enough RPM to run direct drive with the gear ratios that are available and still hit 210+ MPH.

Talked about it, but no-go.

200MPH dragster and it's clean...... dang! I wish you guys would puff just a tad of smoke, sure would make it softer on the rest of us. Hell, how are folks to know that's it's a Diesel?

B and lenny just won't cut it, eh? Sounds like they won't cut it because of the possibility of smoke. I do not mean that rude, just honest opinion. Regardless, you guys are do'n a kick-asse job. :rockwoot:

Last edited:
Nothing at all to do with smoke.

Everything to do with building an efficient racecar, which means not wanting to use a driveline component that slips 20+% ALL the time.

That damage sure looks like too much shift pressure, go down on air cylinder bore to keep speed up, yet not bust stuff.

Looks like it's sticking to me. Can you not look at it really closely and see if it was a push or pull event?

I'll never put a Bruno into a diesel-engined racecar again - they just don't work when you can't get enough converter for our (relatively) low speed / high power applications.

Two speeds might work with a sloppy converter, but again, we don't want to go there - too much slip, and loss.

x2. Been there, got to have more stator to work with....

And as far a the manual gated shifter.... I had forgot about the tranny being so far behind the driver:bang.

Good luck guys.

Back