Banks Top Dragster final assembly**Spy Shots**

i believe they are running a 5 speed liberty .

I believe you are right... My point was that those transmissions are not known to tear up that often (in gasser applications anyway)

same with my comment, i was just pokin fun, i've said good things about the banks race crew from pretty much day one

I don't think my torqshift comment was rude. It was a poke, mainly towards all those Ford guys claiming a bazillion hp on a fully stock trans.:doh:

Not to crap up this thread, but show me another that will hold 580 daily for 75,000 miles with the occasional 700 through it?

I know nothing about these trannies, my guess is they are making somewhat the same hp as their truck, and it seems to hold find. Will be interested to hear what the problem turns out to be. Hats off and big kudos to the Banks crew for sharing their problems as well as their successes. Many problems are never made public. Thanks again for letting us in your progress, good or bad.

I know nothing of the Liberty or how it holds up to banging gears, but it would almost seem like cutting fuel for a few revs while it shifts would make it less harsh. Of course, I'm assuming an awful lot. Either way, keep pushing the edge! Broken parts only mean that it was lightened too much, right? ;)

Not to crap up this thread, but show me another that will hold 580 daily for 75,000 miles with the occasional 700 through it?

That's the thing, everyone says stuff like "holds xxx daily" but really, I doubt that most of them go through each day of the week putting the full xxx at every single opportunity. I'm betting they dial it down until it comes time for competition or something. Yes it's impressive for a stock trans, fwiw.

Mine pretty much got beat to death every day, and lived. Look at Richards before he went to the John Wood Tranny. They are about as stout as they come......WITH THE RIGHT TUNING.

Man, that thing REALLY looks good. What a sweet ride. Do you have anything new to post about it?

Have ya at least tried a B/L yet?

I completely agree with Trent's post, just because it's Banks, these guys catch double the $hit and still act like professionals. I've heard nothing but good things about the banks race crew. Keep up the good work guys and keep us posted on the progress.

There's no reason that these collars should be breaking.. 1500-2000 horsepower pro stock cars have no problem with these transmissions, I think there is another problem somewhere. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems like the shifting fork is getting cocked and jamming in the collar. You can see shiny wear marks on the fork where they shouldn't be.. $.02

I wonder if there is something inherently wrong with this paticular transmission? Something in it's original manufacture, that isn't quite right. A tranny lemon so to speak? I guess if they have tried more than one and it still happened that idea would be out the window. :badidea:

What part of the trans is that?

That is the shift fork and "slider". I can't, for the life of me, remember what we call them in a normal manual trans, but it's the part that pushes the gears into mesh when you shift.

Hope that helps.

For some reason, looking at the pics a certain Sesame Street character comes to mind TRANNY PARTS!!!! YUM YUM YUM YUM!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Man, that really sucks for you guys, just do what I used to do when we broke stuff that was "Bulletproof", bug the heck out of the manufacturer till something gets better! Best of luck next time at the track guys!

Those look like synchro sleeves/hubs to me... I think the MS folks call them "cookies" :hehe:

Those look like synchro sleeves/hubs to me... I think the MS folks call them "cookies" :hehe:

There you go, synchros...

cookie-monster-diet.jpg

"NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!"

We're still tracking down the problem. I don't believe it's any fault of Liberty's, but we'll work with them to make sure we're doing everything right to keep the thing alive.

That rail is sweet. Can't wait to see it in person some day. Any chance you guys might bring it to Bandimere for truck fest in august, would love to see the rail and s-10. Keep up the good work. :Cheer:

Your shifting it with air pressure correct, I could see that if to much pressure is suppied to the fork and the slider didnt mesh quick enough that it would bend and or break off the outter edge like it's doing..... have you played with shifting it manually like the PS guys do? Ryan

Your shifting it with air pressure correct, I could see that if to much pressure is suppied to the fork and the slider didnt mesh quick enough that it would bend and or break off the outter edge like it's doing..... have you played with shifting it manually like the PS guys do? Ryan

Yeah, we're shifting with air pressure, regulator set from Liberty.

Just to pick your brain, if you know and can help, why would it be hurting only 4th gear if it wasn't meshing fast enough? I don't think there are different ramp rates or however you want to say it for the leading edge of the slider.

Also, what do you mean by shift it manually, like with the gated shifter we have in the S-10? Or some other way?

I ask because I don't know. I would love to learn about making this all work.

Later
Chris

Yeah, we're shifting with air pressure, regulator set from Liberty.

Just to pick your brain, if you know and can help, why would it be hurting only 4th gear if it wasn't meshing fast enough? I don't think there are different ramp rates or however you want to say it for the leading edge of the slider.

Also, what do you mean by shift it manually, like with the gated shifter we have in the S-10? Or some other way?

I ask because I don't know. I would love to learn about making this all work.

Later
Chris

Chris, not really sure why it would only be doing it in the one gear but be glad of that maybe that will lead to finding the problem. I was thinking that since it's being hit by air that its prob. not messing correctly and the pressure is overcoming the lip on the slider, maybe lowering the pressure would help? Shifting manualy with like a gated shifter gives the racer the abilty to "feel" that bind or bent shift lever. About all the Pro Mod guys now shift with air also but I think all or at least most of the Pro Stock guys shift a Liberty manualy.

Back