Bearings Trashed FI ETR 72 turbo

same thing happened to my 72

Mine went out last Wednesday at test and tune. 72/83/.90etr. Around 100 street miles with a couple wot runs and two 1/4 mile passes. They should be receiving mine in Tuesday to see what went on. Initially I was told it was over spun. 50+psi? Definitely not an oil issue on mine as I have a -6 line feeding it. We will see what they say.

Last edited:
Enough people have had good luck with FI that I'd be thinking it'd be something on my end before suspecting them of a bad turbo.
I wasn't complaining about them when I composed this thread. And that turbo was awesome before it went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Oil pressure sounds fine. We have a 2011 ISX 650 on one of the dynos at work, that shows around 200Kpa at idle iirc when hot.

Do you have any other galleries you can take your feed from?

I suppose there might be but none that I know of. Here's a pic of the shaft.

ejuqemyr.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist, IMHO it's a oiling problem plain and simple. I don't think a boost leak would be the problem unless someone shot his piping with a 12 gauge.

Sorry I couldn't resist, IMHO it's a oiling problem plain and simple. I don't think a boost leak would be the problem unless someone shot his piping with a 12 gauge.

This has already been covered. A truck can run another turbo for thousands of miles with no issues. Same thing happened to my 72etr last week. Put my silver bullet back on and went out and layed down several low 11 second passes Friday night.

Pray tell.....

Compressor wheel is rotating at say 150krpm generating say 2500mbar manifold absolute, so the wheel is working hard. If you encounter a split boost hose and your manifold pressure drops, so too does the resistant force on the compressor wheel, so with the same work being generated in the turbine housing the shaft speed now rockets. Or even if manifold pressure drops to just 2000mbar, ecu will still target 2500mbar and so shaft speed increases as the system chases 2500mbar, and so overspeed occurs.

Im not saying that's the case here, but this can and does happen.

I suppose there might be but none that I know of. Here's a pic of the shaft.

ejuqemyr.jpg

As you can see, she got damn hot in only 90 miles on it. Bearing material had transferred onto the shaft as well. Definitely not normal at all.