Bearings Trashed FI ETR 72 turbo

Bump. Anyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Its hard to quantity but that doesn't sound alot. It would probably have been better to do it when up to temperature.

Are you 100% confident there is no restriction internally from the take off point on the block through the feed pipe?

Id be very tempted to put a pressure gauge on the take off point on the block and see what's happening there.

Yes. I guess I'll have to do that. I do know that if you unhook the supply line and point out at the ground, oil shoots out a few feet like a fire hose.

Also, when I filled up the center cartridge with oil, none came out the bottom.

This is from CF

I have seen two cases in 10 years where the center section oil passages have a factory defect with a blockage not allowing oil pressure to be fed to bearings, from your shafts color the front is getting sufficient pressure but the rear isn't getting . The heat alone from one bearing failure will kill both and the seals. It is a long shot but I have emails confirming defects are possible.

Is this true or possible? If you look at the pic of the shaft it almost could make sense.

eguzyzed.jpg

That is very possible but it's also possible the a piece of dirt got in the oil feed port when the turbo was installed.

I can try my best. I'm not exactly a pro welder. I have a mig, and I can melt metal together sorta. Scared the absolute **** out of me tho. Sounded like I lost a piston

So, then, LReiff, what would you do? Take it off and make sure no dirt was in it? Wait till forced induction was open Jan 2 and see what Jose thinks? Go ahead and try it? I'm in favor of the last option. But if it goes again I don't want to be responsible. Lol

I'd make sure the motor isn't coming apart and scattering shlt through the oil system. Did you cut the oil filter open to see if there's shlt trapped in the pleats?

Definitely some good advice there about checking engine oil for debris.

Is the turbo still at the supplies? Might be worth mentioning concerns over internal oil path, get them to check it out for sure.

Just re-reading your previous posts....when you put an air line and got 130psi, was that at the turbo oil entry??

No. But 90 miles I took the filler cap off and checked for blowby and there was nothing, zilch coming out. Maybe that doesn't say much. And it's not using oil.

Just re-reading your previous posts....when you put an air line and got 130psi, was that at the turbo oil entry??

That's what the gauge on the air tank said. It was over 100, anyway. It would've been less at the air nozzle.

How fast is oil supposed to drain out the bottom of the turbo? I got the turbo installed and started the truck without the drain tube attached. The oil gauge reads 75 psi of pressure. A thin stream of oil under 1/8 inch thick dribbles out the drain.

Is that enough? The oil was cold cause the ambient temperature was 40°.

We unhooked the supply hose and put a rubber tipped air nozzle up to the inlet. 130 psi of air pressure and the air came out the bottom at maybe 25 psi. I could almost completely stop the air coming out but not quite.

Is this normal? I have no idea how much oil flows out the drain.

If I understand this properly you put shop air through the oil passage of a new turbo?

Ya. I can hear disapproval already. But I'd already filled up the turbo with oil and started the engine. And when the oil didn't drain out the bottom very well, I put shop air into it. I wanted to see how easy air went through it.

The turbo went straight from the package to on the truck. And I had the supply port blocked off till I hooked up the supply line.

I doubt you had a filter on the shop air directly behind the blow nozzle. Shop air is filthy, it contains moisture and dirt, both of which are a turbocharger's worst enemy. I'll leave you determine how brilliant that move was.

Brilliant is as brilliant does.