Bearings Trashed FI ETR 72 turbo

Ok, I'm an idiot. Maybe I belong on CF after all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

:) wasn't the best idea.

Are the oil feed and return fittings on the turbo the same? Or obviously different? Im getting at them being the right way round.

Sounds like the supply is ok though?

Well, I looked at that. The one side is #6 npt. The other port is approximately 1 inch across and non threaded. Should be self explanatory, right? Both times it came from FI, it was clocked as if the npt side was the drain. But that could be coincidence.

No the supply went to the threaded port. The drain went to the bigger one, just like every other turbo I've had. And I've had a few. And they've all lasted well.

No new turbo ever comes out of the box clocked properly. Did you cut that oil filter apart yet?

No. I'm at work. I just changed oil 100 miles ago. I'm gonna see if I can find my old filter. I don't have a new one to replace my current one if I take it off. And I don't have a filter cutter.

If it was me:

Id fit a pressure gauge to the end of the supply line. Run it up to temp without the turbo fitted...yes noisey. Log oil pressure when hot at idle and at say 2500rpm.

Then if there is no issue with supply, contact the turbo guys with this info and raise concerns over the lack of visual flow coming out of the turbocharger.

Oh, and don't tell them about nailing it with shop air :)

Ya. That's a good idea. José has already posted in this thread so he'll probably see what I did sooner or later.

I just wanted to let yall know that this latest turbo has survived 500 miles and 8 dyno pulls. I made a max of 791 rwhp with a correction of 1.04. There was a little dip just before the peak that I was trying to get out but ran out of time. Should break 800 when that's taken care of. I also ran out of injector at 2300 us. So, knock on wood. Thanks for your help.

thats awesome. i should be getting mine back soon. steed is paying the tab last i heard. the coating on that manifold i got was the absolute worst. when i cleaned it up the majority of the coating was gone and what was left felt like sandpaper when it came out.

That sucks. My steed is holding up great. I'm kicking myself for not getting a waste gate port on mine. I never thought I'd need it.

are you running the 83 turbine in a .90 housing? hows drive/boost pressures?

Yes. I don't have a drive gauge. On the junk turbo I seen 56 psi. On the new one I haven't seen over 50. If I really stayed in it on the street, it might be more. Idk. It didn't go over 51 on the dyno. I haven't floored it much on the street.