Big Twins (71/106) questions....

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Alright guys, have some questions.

Right now I have ATS twins (57/71) and they're awesome for 600rwhp, but looking for about 400hp more, so going with an ATS A5K and a BIG atmo (Garrett-based 106mm)...with a big charger, where are you guys bracing them? Also, where are you tapping into a non-STORM block? Oil pan? Right now I have a Y into the front passage into the block, and it seems OK with 10,000 miles on it, but I am reluctant to run the big chargers with the Y fitting. Anyone have any experience? Run an oil restrictor on a charger that big?

Thanks

Jason

Where the trans heat exchanger mounts is sturdy. Bell housing adapter and spacer plate from the secondary flange to a manifold bolts.

Sounds like a good project.

Running a non stock cam yet?

Depends on how there setup. Traditional or side by side mounting?

Id agree with Brad. Those are big chargers, and depends on how much functionality you still want ? A/C ? Etc. With my buddies 475/106 set there isnt a whole lot of room to brace them.

Last edited:
No restrictor on the thumper, just a straight -4an or -6an feed. -12an return to the oil pan.

I was thinking of mounting the big charger out front, where the battery normally is, which means a long hot pipe, which to me, means it definitely needs to be braced.

Originally I was going to go with a 115mm Procharger, but I just don't know if I want to try and re-invent the wheel like that, when a set of big twins will get me to my horsepower goal....(1K rwhp).

He just flipped the manifold charger backwards, and ran a long charge pipe. Mind you this was in a pull truck, so Im trying to draw it up in my head in a truck that still has the firewall in tact. I think it'd still work, and his isn't braced, with the literally 8" long hot pipe and the charge pipes being V-banded it was very sturdy.

Most flipped chargers have a notch cut in the firewall and no a/c from what I've seen. I'd like to keep both if possible....

Originally I was going to go with a 115mm Procharger, but I just don't know if I want to try and re-invent the wheel like that, when a set of big twins will get me to my horsepower goal....(1K rwhp).

I see the "i made 1k on a 64/480" guys commenting very soon.

I am in for some pics/ideas as well.

76 and 106

Braced off motor mount and a/c bracket. Welded a Y onto the oil return right above were it goes in the block. No problems yet.

SANY0387_zpsa38b05a1.jpg

Yeah, I know those guys....put em on a less friendly dyno and I'm thinking about 800....

:hehe: Its not as cool as big chargers though !
I will admit it was relatively hard to get a good number out of the big chargers 73/100 on a CR at the time.

Braced off the base of the shock tower, separate oil return lines

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
:hehe: Its not as cool as big chargers though !
I will admit it was relatively hard to get a good number out of the big chargers 73/100 on a CR at the time.

I have ran a A5k as a single with 90hp sticks, it spooled quicker than a SB66. I think it would do fine. There is by far better chargers now though.

I have ran a A5k as a single with 90hp sticks, it spooled quicker than a SB66. I think it would do fine. There is by far better chargers now though.

I dunno, I've always loved A5K's since I saw how Maddog's truck spooled compared to other 1100hp trucks. During testing, I saw full boost (60psi) at only 2,500rpm, not bad for a 71mm turbo that has the exducer of a 75mm turbo....plus I already have all the parts to run it.

K31 shafts and turbine wheels have a lot less mass than a S400 of similar size. So to compare spool up between the two isn't apples to apples. My K31 single spooled way better than the 471 setup the exact same way.