Borg Warner test the BATMOWHEEL

I have been running the Bullseye turbos for a few years now. As far as the Bat wheel flowing more then the convectional design . Back in 2011 when we had the Superstock race in Florida I had a convectional non Bat Bullseye 2.6 charger with an 87 turbine and a 1.0 ar housing on it. That spring Bullseye had a dyno day open house and with that charger I dynoed 817 with the non Batmo wheel. We changed out just the compressor wheel to a Batmo put it on the dyno again with the same set up on the truck and made 855. That is 38 hp just changing to the bat wheel that was the same one that Aron Nick won the race with. That made me a believer . That was 2011 and was a single bat now they are double . I am sure the competitors have made a lot of changes since then too. Since then I have been running a 75 mm double bat with the same 87 turbine and have been running 10.30's with a 6400 # truck on fuel. I have also went as fast as 141 with it on spray. I am hoping to test one of their new 80 mm wheels this weekend it the weather cooperates. I run the Batmo chargers because I truly believe they do make more power.

Last edited:
Toolman....same stock cover used on both wheels when you picked up the 38hp?

I am surprised there is nothing about the test stand on the Bullseye website. The maps on the website are completely lacking in efficiency data even though the contours are there. Why...

While on this morning's rant, all you BW folks watching this -

Matchbot is cool. However, please explain why you obfuscate your turbine data in that phi parameter that is about useless in comparing your turbines to the rest of the known world. The units of phi make zero sense to me and a whole lot of others. I see no earthly reason to hide your flow data behind some nonsense parameter. I mean, I could go to home depot and buy lumber by the d!ck length, but someone with some common sense decided to use feet and inches so everyone is on the same page.

You put your compressor maps in mass flow, how about doing the same for your turbines?

Geek rant off.

BW did not intend to hide data using using obscure units of measure. "Phi" is the standard unit BW uses internally. Matchbot was designed by engineers and they used what they were familiar with.

BW did not intend to hide data using using obscure units of measure. "Phi" is the standard unit BW uses internally. Matchbot was designed by engineers and they used what they were familiar with.

Please explain the units, if you can.

Because lbs/min * (sqrt(temperature)) / pressure is meaningless to everyone else.

Or specify the temperatures and pressures that are being used so we can convert back to the real world.

Last edited:
Yes everything was the same we just changed the wheels . That was the first Bat wheels that were made.

Roger that. I can't remember the rules for that 2.6 race...were these the protruded 2.6 or the clippped 2.6 wheels?

Say it aint so! So your tired of seeing batmo wheels in every charger ever made...along with the batmo intake pipe? The batmo key chains? batmo toilet paper holder? Every week they batmo something new :hehe:

:hehe: Batmo toilet paper holder can roll 17 more squares per second on the low side but high up in the map it cant keep up with the good ol mainstays from walmart with the stock plastic center section $.02

You put your compressor maps in mass flow, how about doing the same for your turbines?

+1 ! It would make selecting the "right" A/R much, much easier.

And yes I realize that temperature plays a big role in turbine performance.

I think the rules said you could run a clipped wheel . The Bullseye wheel wasn't a clipped wheel but a full billet cut to their own design. And then later it got the bat design on the top of it. They were just messing around one day and decide to cut one with that shape on the top and when they put it on the turbo dyno it flowed quite a bit more. The first two wheels came with them to the Super Stock race and Jim Layden and I were suppose to get them. Because I couldn't get my truck to run Aron got to use the wheel I was suppose to have.

OK so just throwing some dumb numbers into Matchbot, I come up with 716 using phi and their corrected turbine flow at 59F. It might be complete BS but I only invested 2 minutes into it LOL

Multiply phi by 716 and you get a max flow of the 96mm/1.32 turbine at ~50 lb/min. That seems in the ballpark of reality based on other turbine maps I have seen around that approximate size.

Anyone comes up with something better or the "right way", please let me know, I'm just hacking at it...

Toolman, just one more retarded question, I apologize...was your HP increase measured on a DynoJet?

Toolman, just one more retarded question, I apologize...was your HP increase measured on a DynoJet?

Yes both runs where on a Dyno Jet. I had dynoed the truck before on Ryan Bean's dyno and the truck dynoed 819 with the same set up with out the bat wheel . Ryan's dyno is a dyno dynamics load cell dyno. The Dyno Jet was an inertia dyno. I was surprised how close the number correlated.

Last edited:
How dare someone post real numbers. The diesel world must remain a world of secrecy and lies with rabid vendors!

Please explain the units, if you can.

Because lbs/min * (sqrt(temperature)) / pressure is meaningless to everyone else.

Or specify the temperatures and pressures that are being used so we can convert back to the real world.

Sorry for the long wait...

Phi is essentially a measure of volume over time. Since every engine will produce different temperatures and pressures, Phi expresses these variables in relation to one another so a single graph is useful for multiple applications. In other words, it factors out exact temps and pressures.

Understanding phi is not really necessary to use matchbot. The object is to get all of the red dots on one line by adjusting the boost and turbine expansion ratio without it telling you that the match is not possible. Once you've done that then you'll have a realistic approximation of how much boost is achievable with the turbine you've selected.

Matchbot is a great tool and can produce very accurate results, but it can be a tedious process to dial in the match because once you've adjusted one variable another needs to be changed, which then affects another and another...etc, etc.

I hope this helps!

I run a lowly ol 38r on my 7.3 and bought in to the hype when they fist came out, well after 10-15 Dyno pulls and attempted tuning changes by bill at PHP all he got was higher EGTs and about 50 less HP over the stock wheel. I'm curently waiting on the "new and improved" batmo wheel they made for the 38r, I don't expect any Improvements and the only reason I'm even going to try it is just for the proof the wheel doesn't do diddly squat. What I find sad is that anytime someone questions the wheels they say its just other companies bad mouthing them and that these wheels are proven to work..... Yeah maybe on 1 or 2 trucks with a certain combo setup a certain way but to just generalize the wheel and say it always works like they seem to do is bologna.

So from a higher blade count cast wheel to a lower blade count billet wheel?
It was the same wheel with the bat configuration cut on the top of the blades and that was only on the inducer blades.
Now they are cutting both the tops of the inducer and the splitter blades hence double bat. Which is more potent yet.

It was the same wheel with the bat configuration cut on the top of the blades and that was only on the inducer blades.
Now they are cutting both the tops of the inducer and the splitter blades hence double bat. Which is more potent yet.

Yes i know about the double bat, the bat configuration on the splitters is even less impressive.

My question was when you swapped wheels, did u go from a cast BW wheel to a billet batmo wheel?

Yes i know about the double bat, the bat configuration on the splitters is even less impressive.

My question was when you swapped wheels, did u go from a cast BW wheel to a billet batmo wheel?

No it was a billet design that bullseye designed that had the normal flat fins on top . The other wheel was exactly the same but with the bat config on the top which made 38 more hp.