Budget Beater!

I have done some searching about the axle flip and can't find much useful info. Did you purchase a kit or just weld on new perches and re-use hardware. I don't see a notch so I'm assuming the 2" add a leaf allows you to keep the frame in tact. Have you towed at all with this setup, I would like to tow 3-4k lbs still. Seems like your truck 60's much better than most so I would like to mimic your setup. Thanks and keep up the awesome work, this truck is very impressive.

I just welded on spring perches under the axle. Built a flat plate on top and got new u bolts. Add a leaf was to keep frame from hitting the axle when I launched. Thanks it is definitely a freak of nature truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocking up the 66/82 to build piping. The 66 is getting a straight comp cover after visualizing the routing of the pipes.
da7e8u7y.jpg

nezu4ydu.jpg

yea, ummmm I think the mods are going to have to change the title of this thread. HAHAHA

Looking good, man. This thing is either going to pull the wheels, or destroy the leaf springs!

I just read the entire thread! And I have to say you and will have taught me a lot and I hope someday I can build a fun little drag truck lol when your pump stuck holy chit I would have freaked put when she hung wide open and don't know if I would have thought about looping it and up shifting but I do now!

looking good. Are you going to cut the bed down or use a short bed and cut the back of the frame also?

are you going to do anything else with the suspension like a 4 link?

The spring under has proved it self very well so far so I dont want to effect it in a negative way so I'm leaving it alone for the most part. Only thing I am going to do is mount both shocks straight up and down behind the axle. A 4 link would be great but it's not allowed in super street which I will be competing in this season.

In the spring I want to relocate my shocks to rear also, will
there be problem welding on tubes.

With the spring under setup. Just out of curiosity, how much did it affect the over ride and stability ? Did it improve or stay the same ?

I swapped my passenger side shock to the rear. I ground off the mount on the axle, reversed it and welded back. Then just made an upper mount for it, and matched the angle of the driver's side.

I've been wanting to see a fast 2wd super street truck!

With the spring under setup. Just out of curiosity, how much did it affect the over ride and stability ? Did it improve or stay the same ?

I was use to a 2 leaf spring setup so ride got a little more rough but not bad at all. Truck is very stabile to daily drive and hooks at the track like a beast.

I was use to a 2 leaf spring setup so ride got a little more rough but not bad at all. Truck is very stabile to daily drive and hooks at the track like a beast.

Sounds like I'm gonna do the same. I was thinking of using a two leaf pack, and running two AFCO coil overs with them. But this is A LOT cheaper. :hehe:

Sounds like I'm gonna do the same. I was thinking of using a two leaf pack, and running two AFCO coil overs with them. But this is A LOT cheaper. :hehe:

Yeah the biggest thing you have to keep an eye on is the re-bound. You may get great weight transfer and squat right off the bat but if it's too soft the re-bound will actually lift the rear and you will lose traction. That's what I ran into running 2 leafs with Caltracs.

Yeah the biggest thing you have to keep an eye on is the re-bound. You may get great weight transfer and squat right off the bat but if it's too soft the re-bound will actually lift the rear and you will lose traction. That's what I ran into running 2 leafs with Caltracs.

So what your saying, is the rebound ends up being to fast. And completely unloads the rear suspension too fast? Kind of how Im reading that anyway.

So what your saying, is the rebound ends up being to fast. And completely unloads the rear suspension too fast? Kind of how Im reading that anyway.

Yep you got it! I re read my explanation and it was a little hard to follow sorry about that. With 2 leafs and Caltracs my best 60 ft was 1.87 because it would unload the suspension and spin the tires down the track. By going to a spring under full leaf pack and 2" add a leaf and no Caltracs my best 60ft was a 1.60 and I averaged right around there too. Night and day difference.

Yep you got it! I re read my explanation and it was a little hard to follow sorry about that. With 2 leafs and Caltracs my best 60 ft was 1.87 because it would unload the suspension and spin the tires down the track. By going to a spring under full leaf pack and 2" add a leaf and no Caltracs my best 60ft was a 1.60 and I averaged right around there too. Night and day difference.

Still have those cal tracs sitting around?