Building aluminum Cummins heads

PASSENGER

Bells and Whistles
I'm looking at machining an improved cylinder head for the cummins. This thread is to get ideas on what you guys would want if you could have a head for a reasonable price.

I want to make this head something that is radically different from the factory head in the sense of ports and flow rates, but still want to retain water cooling, valve train layout (DOHC can be done, but conversion cost really makes it extremly expensive unless qts are quite high). I'd spice up the valvetrain but look for something off the shelf from another application to keep costs reasonable.

So, what say the people? I'm on the hunt for a core 24v head right now so I can get it on my friends CMM so we can get the ball rolling.

Cost, use some chevy valve train. Roller rockers would be dirt cheap, same on the valves.

I still think 24v is the way to go until you delete the cooling ports.

DOHC would not be cost effective for near anyone.

Cost, use some chevy valve train. Roller rockers would be dirt cheap, same on the valves.

I still think 24v is the way to go until you delete the cooling ports.

DOHC would not be cost effective for near anyone.

I definitely want to do 24v, looking it over today with my friend is who will work on these with me we see some potential difficulty with the 24 v ports and their relationship to pushrod and headstud holes.

Chevy valvetrain was a thought, and especially for a 12v would be easy to work something out. There are a lot of import options for 4v head stuff.
Deleting coolant cuts off all potential street users, which would be too bad (less sales means the heads would cost more), plus I can make the head coolant friendly without sacrifcing port quality.

Any chance you wanna tackle some aftermarket Ford 6.0L heads? Same idea...use chevy valves, and roller rocker arms if possible.

The real selling point here is that EVERY set of 6.0L heads crack now or later, and if you can solve the restrictive flow problems, man, that would help out tons!!

Any chance you wanna tackle some aftermarket Ford 6.0L heads? Same idea...use chevy valves, and roller rocker arms if possible.

The real selling point here is that EVERY set of 6.0L heads crack now or later, and if you can solve the restrictive flow problems, man, that would help out tons!!

Its certainly possible, the more need the easier it is to get stuff done. I'd like to focus on a performance cummins application for now but I'm always open to new ideas/products.

Water jacketed head
24v
Make it ready for a top feed injector, kdel or something similar.
After thinking on it, a shaft rocker system off a big block mopar or hemi may be a good idea. They have offset rockers to clear the ports.

However a DOHC with no cooling ports would be tits for the trailer queens.

Water jacketed head
24v
Make it ready for a top feed injector, kdel or something similar.
After thinking on it, a shaft rocker system off a big block mopar or hemi may be a good idea. They have offset rockers to clear the ports.

However a DOHC with no cooling ports would be tits for the trailer queens.

Top feed/center location injector like an Audi would make my life easier. With the exception of needing custom injector lines, which would be more of a problem going with the newer common rail stuff.

I want to go with a 24v head if possible. I am looking for a core head right now. I have some core 12v heads here, 12v heads would be easier to do for sure. As soon as I can get a core 24v head I can get both heads on my friends CMM to get all my measurements, than I can establish if 24v is feasible or not.

Prototypes will be about 3 months away from the time I get the heads on the CMM.

But using 24v injectors would be easier on the rest of us. Maybe if the head was capable of accepting both VP and CR style injectors it would get even more wide spread appeal. Thinking along the lines of streetable trucks anyways.

this has already been thought about by many people. i'd go 12v head personally. give me a call if your serious about doing this. 8126980851.

Passenger, been work hard on getting you a 6.7L head for you to do your magic on.:bow:

But using 24v injectors would be easier on the rest of us. Maybe if the head was capable of accepting both VP and CR style injectors it would get even more wide spread appeal. Thinking along the lines of streetable trucks anyways.

I'm not familiar with the difference in the bodies, is the location/angle/thread size the same with just a change in the seat size and angle or...?

this has already been thought about by many people. i'd go 12v head personally. give me a call if your serious about doing this. 8126980851.

Whats your name? I'll give you a ring.

Passenger, been work hard on getting you a 6.7L head for you to do your magic on.:bow:

That would be awesome Mike! If at all possible I'd like to build something to work with the 5.9 and 6.7.
Does anyone know about 6.7 heads on 5.9 blocks or vice versa?

The injector passages are the same the crossover tube nuts are different, simple swap though. The 6.7 has a different shape to the bottom of the injector I THINK -don't quote me I'm no professional. I was thinking of the electronics really.

The injector passages are the same the crossover tube nuts are different, simple swap though. The 6.7 has a different shape to the bottom of the injector I THINK -don't quote me I'm no professional. I was thinking of the electronics really.

I heard the same thing for the injectors, so you would need custom injectors.

A buddy of mine has both a 5.9L and 6.7L engines apart with the head off them. Both engines have melted pistons, but it would only take 5 minutes to see if the 6.7L head bolts on the 5.9L.

Visually, the 6.7L head appears to be able to bolt on part on a 5.9L, but haven't tried it yet.

I heard the same thing for the injectors, so you would need custom injectors.

A buddy of mine has both a 5.9L and 6.7L engines apart with the head off them. Both engines has melted pistons, but it would only take 5 minutes to see if the 6.7L head bolts on the 5.9L.

Visually, the 6.7L head appears to be able to bolt on part on a 5.9L, but haven't tried it yet.

Any chance he wants to get rid of either heads (both please:welcome:)

6.7 head will bolt to a 5.9 (bolt holes the same). Pushrod holes the same too. I believe valve locations are the same, but not positive.

If I was doing it, I would go after a 12V head with no coolant ports. Totally redesign the intake/exhaust ports, use chevy valves, possibly overhead cam?

If you can remove the stock cam, it would allow guys to put a longer stroke crank in the block with no worries of the rod hitting the camshaft...

Done, On it bro. Anything else...:lolly:

Nice! I need to find a 2010 cold side charge tube, I'm sure I'll be stuck going to the dealer for that.

6.7 head will bolt to a 5.9 (bolt holes the same). Pushrod holes the same too. I believe valve locations are the same, but not positive.

If I was doing it, I would go after a 12V head with no coolant ports. Totally redesign the intake/exhaust ports, use chevy valves, possibly overhead cam?

If you can remove the stock cam, it would allow guys to put a longer stroke crank in the block with no worries of the rod hitting the camshaft...

I do really like the idea of ohc, it just significantly drives the price up.

Dave start with something for "the mass's" you can always build another head that is OHC. A bolt on head with some real flow, would be a great benefit to even a moderately tuned DD.