c14 uprate?

so pdi is the only tuner for n14's?

The only other place I would try is Diesel Spec in Canada. Not sure what they can do with an N14 but it would be worth a call.

Diesel engine repair for heavy truck in Montreal | Diesel spec Inc

I know what PDI and Diesel Spec can do on an ISX or a Cat but the N14 is up in the air. Not sure how they respond to tuning. If you had A Cat I would say spend the cash with PDI and you won't be disappointed but I don't know anyone with a modded N14.

Last edited:
i have done a lot of searching on this. i found most people are wanting around 2k to reprogram your ecm. a co in fl will take it up to 700hp for 850 but the time is going to be an issue so im looking for a ecm i can send. we will see. i would like to have pdi do it as they are closer. he said he would set it at 650 hp to the ground and has had no issues but he wants 2100 for it.. i cant believe there arent more tuners for these. pitsburg diesel is no longer advertising an add on box for these as far as i can tell and they still want 2400 for their box..
i wish one of you guys had a hook up.. sucks always wanting more power lol..

I have a friend with a bunch of N14 ECM's. I can ask him about one if you would be interested.

please do, i need a celect plus. thanks and you guys can shoot me a text or call me at 707 888 8811, adam

any one know what the highest hp rated the n14 was in any other application other than trucks or marine? i know trucks were 525 and i think marine was 705 but im not sure on that either..

anyone know where to get an ecm cheap? i found some folks do dial me in but i need an ecm for the down time... and as a spare i guess..

anyone know where to get an ecm cheap? i found some folks do dial me in but i need an ecm for the down time... and as a spare i guess..
Some places will core them but it's still going to cost you still about $2k. I'd be interested to know how an N14 responds to programming. Let me email a guy who would probably know and I'll get back to you.

Some places will core them but it's still going to cost you still about $2k. I'd be interested to know how an N14 responds to programming. Let me email a guy who would probably know and I'll get back to you.
Update: I asked a guy I know that's a GENIUS when it comes to Caterpillar ECM's about modding an N14 Celect and this is his reply.

From what I've been told it will depend on his CPL number and his original file in the ECM. Some of them PDI can get good power from, other not so good. The other thing that is a problem is if it does have the correct parts and file in it to build power, it's going to smoke fairly heavily afterwards. He will need to upgrade the turbo also.

I've been told even the new ISX performance all depends on what file is in the ECM before PDI modifies it. The Cummins ECM isn't like Cat, with Cat they take a stock flash file and modify it and then it can be loaded in any ECM in the correct class. With Cummins they can only modify what's already in the ECM. I asked a while back because I thought about buying a new truck with the full intent of modding it. I didn't want to pay for a factory 600hp when I was going to have the ECM modified anyway and the engine was physically the same as a 500hp model. I was told if I wanted the same performance I've got out of all my PDI modded Cats I would have to start with a 600hp ECM.*bdh*

DEZLFREK if your interested in doing this let me know and I'll give you the guys contact info. The price will be the same no matter who you buy it from but unlike most places this guy is top notch with customer service and actually knows what he's selling.:bow:

changed the exhaust today.. even if it doesnt go exactly how i want it sounds good.. LOL
photobucket-4912-1330648170224.jpg

photobucket-8912-1330648081790.jpg

so as this thread is about ive been wanting to get some more power out of my truck. I talked with Pius about it today because i needed that wheel that got chewed up and he told me that i shouldnt go over 600rwhp because it will break the block.. ok thats fine i can live with 150 more hp if even close we will see.
then i went and talked to the guy that origanally built my truck about putting a wet kit back in the truck. ok fine about that other than he says he doent like the extra 400lbs i can plan on.. ok but he also said the tranny i have is only rated to 1650 and im pushing it with the 1850 tune. my question in what do you guys think about that? and my plan is the 625/2050 tune as the next step which should only get me to around 550 to the ground..
thoughts?

1. 600hp will not break the mother f'ing block.
2. who the hell cares about 400lbs on a truck grossing at least 80k?
3. a 1650 tranny's longevity depends more on the operator than the powerplant

whoever told you that over 600hp would break the block needs to be smacked and revoked of all speaking priveleges. Seriously? 600rwhp breaking a damn 14 liter block? Those Signature series N14's came stock with 600hp. I'd tune it up and replace whatever breaks. Its probably only got a 1650 clutch in too which is only gonna hold 1750 tops so thats gonna be a problem before the tranny is. What's the model # on the tranny anyhow? (just curious)

build it how you want it dude, don't listen to these guys concerned about weight on fooking semi. my 2 cents plus a little

Stack looks good btw. I'm partial to miter cuts but the stove pipe works for your app.

Signature 600s were not N14s, they were early ISXs hence the DOHC. What the guy may have meant was that the higher you go on power the more susceptible the block is to fretting also know as main cap walk, this is very common in the higher factory HP N14s than the low ones. When this gets bad enough they spin main bearings, and we all know where that goes.

An n-14 block is basically the same as a big Cam block and I know of a few of those in the 700+ range that run daily.

I definitely agree with 02dmax on the tranny, a good driver can keep a 12513 alive with a 1000hp and a bad one can kill an 18918 with 300.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Signature 600s were not N14s, they were early ISXs hence the DOHC. What the guy may have meant was that the higher you go on power the more susceptible the block is to fretting also know as main cap walk, this is very common in the higher factory HP N14s than the low ones. When this gets bad enough they spin main bearings, and we all know where that goes.

I thought some of the last "red top" N14's were like 600 or 625 from the factory and were called signatures but I could be wrong. Most of my limited Cummins knowledge just comes from what drivers tell me and we all know how to filter truck driver knowledge, MOST drivers anyhow. lol

The big red tops were 525, the sig was an isx.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

What he said^^

I have been looking through cummins engine number for the last couple of weeks and I dont think I have even seen a marine app on the N14 much over 550hp.

The fix for the problem I mentioned above is when doing an inframe to coat the backside of the bearing with loctite as well as the mating surface of the main cap before you torque it down. That is from cummins.

There is no real way of knowing what truly causes it, but higher hp is known to speed up the process.

thanks guys, thats the stuff ive heard also. its not what you can make but how you use it. i would be stoked with another 100 to 150 useable hp.
and im doing a wet kit for sure, 400lbs or not. even if i got one more day of work a year thats worth it. should be alot more.
the highest n14 rating was 600 but that was a card motor, no ecm, 535 was the highest ecm motor im aware of in standby gen sets.
my tranny number, honestly i dont know. i know that the motor was rebuilt 350k ago complete out of frame so its in good shape. tranny has always had synthetics.. in all it is a good price for the 6k i bought it for. i keep hearing 2015 ill have to retrofiet it anyway so until then i just want to drive it, hopefully with some more power. wish i could find a cheap PP box but im not that lucky, i read about one dude that found one on ebay for 500 bucks.

Last edited:
Back