c14 uprate?

What he said^^

I have been looking through cummins engine number for the last couple of weeks and I dont think I have even seen a marine app on the N14 much over 550hp.

The fix for the problem I mentioned above is when doing an inframe to coat the backside of the bearing with loctite as well as the mating surface of the main cap before you torque it down. That is from cummins.

There is no real way of knowing what truly causes it, but higher hp is known to speed up the process.

they say what kind? I'm assuming the red loctite. I'll write that down for the next time I'm into one. thanks for the info:thankyou2:

Pushing big HP through a 1650 torque trans will shorten its life for sure, but you won't frag it in a week if you're a good driver. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the n14, but all other things being equal, a 525hp n14 will have a hard time hanging with an ISX set at the same power level. But, I've seen a handful of n14's go well over a million miles before requiring an overhaul, I personally drove one that got its engine opened up for the first time at 1.2 million miles.

Pushing big HP through a 1650 torque trans will shorten its life for sure, but you won't frag it in a week if you're a good driver. I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the n14, but all other things being equal, a 525hp n14 will have a hard time hanging with an ISX set at the same power level. But, I've seen a handful of n14's go well over a million miles before requiring an overhaul, I personally drove one that got its engine opened up for the first time at 1.2 million miles.

Used to believe the same thing but the part numbers for the internal parts of an 1650/1850 trans are the same. Only the clutch and warranty price are different.

I didn't know that, when we change clutches in our trucks we put the big clutches in that will take over 2000 torque, but none of our trucks are set up like that

huh good info guys. thats good to here about the trannys being of the same internals.
any one have a good place for complete wet kits or someone with a used one they want to sell?

they say what kind? I'm assuming the red loctite. I'll write that down for the next time I'm into one. thanks for the info:thankyou2:

I would say green/sleeve retainer. If I had to guess. Not red. But that's just a guess.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

I didn't know that, when we change clutches in our trucks we put the big clutches in that will take over 2000 torque, but none of our trucks are set up like that

I asked what the difference was between the 1850/2050 and it was minimal. Like external filter, maybe a different cooler and someone thought the gears may be hardened or treated. But just like a 475hp vs a 550 the only difference is the flash file and the warranty costs, all hard parts are the same.

i erased my pm's so i forgot who had an ecm for me. shoot me a pm if you have one again. thanks

call Terry at Full Tilt Performance in Jackson, MN

he only does newer Cummins, but might be able to steer you in the right direction.

is that 525 the Red Top N14? I was thinking they were rated up to 600hp but I could be thinking the ISX.

Last edited:
The N14 was never a 600hp engine from the factory, that was the signature 600 ISX

ya sorry terry, the highest anyone that i can figure out is the standby gen set had 535hp in the 380amp or volt unit..

so im thinking of just biting the bullet and doing a PP box. anyone run one? i like the abiltity of adjusting and having some egt safety.. anyway what are you guys thoughts on this?
read one about one guy that found one on ebay for 500 bucks but no such luck. anyone know anyone that wants to sell one for a deal LOL

ya sorry terry, the highest anyone that i can figure out is the standby gen set had 535hp in the 380amp or volt unit..

No I'm sure I've seen standby emergency Gensets higher than that. Most of the ones I worked on were 480 or 600 volt usually. But I don't remember engine outputs specifically. I can ask my other buddies that are still doing it if you want.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

ok another plan is being hatched. i hopefully getting an ht4c for this thing but instead of tuning im thinking about just having some nozzles honed say about 20%.. what do you guys think about that? are these injectors easy enough to take apart? curiosity is getting the best of me here..
as far as gen sets with n14's i do not know, 535hp is the highest i can find.

My neighbor has a Pete that has the n14 and a super 10 Trans which iirc is a 1450 torque limit. He had the motor uprated to 525/1850. That truck has been all over the states and also hauls grain out of the field. This has been that way for at least ten years with no problems. The first time I drove it they said be easy when say pulling out of the field until you get it going but by now it has been used pretty damn hard. That little Trans has held up well. You get it out on the road and setup really holds its own even when we would make our runs out to California through the mountains.

Back