Cam comparison

Diesel Nut

6 Speed 12V
Ok, it seems many of you are asking for a cam comparison, or shoot out for lack of a better word. I have spoken with both Greg from Maxspool and Zach from Hamilton. They are both up. Cam threads seem to be a hot topic, and wind up getting clouded with alot of the BS that comes with rivalries and personal preferences. So, you have asked for a comparison, I am offering it.

We have gained a decent amount of experience with cams, and have installed many. Here is what we want to do. We have a test truck lined up, and I think you will find it to be a good test mule for those of you looking at a cam to relate to. Truck specs will be listed at the end of this post.

Here is what I would like to happen -

This is open to ANYONE manufacturing cams, regardless of who actually grinds them. If you sell them as your own, you are invited to join.

Upon reading the specs on the truck, you choose the cam you would recommend for that application. No special grinds, I want to test what you offer to the public.

If you recommend your own springs, retainers, pushrods, studs, ect with said cam, I ask that you supply that also. I don't want anyone having any arguments with this. I want to test these as you design them to work.

These cams WILL be run on a cam doctor. Lift, duration, Lobe separation and centerline will all be recorded, as well as cam degree as installed. These figures will be made available to the members.

Test parameters will be agreed upon by all. Check your baggage at the door. All involved here will need to get along. I hope this will be fun for all involved, and all personal agendas be put aside. NO FLAMING! Lets work together.

We dyno a baseline with said truck with stock cam, and test each and every cam to the extent agreed on. Now, we all know things change from day to day, so all conditions will be reported. We will use the same dyno for each and every test. Dyno and road tests will use a data logger to capture as much info as possible. We are not JUST looking at peak power gains.

Lastly, I propose this -

All cams, springs, and supplemental equipment recommended by cam manufacturer will be supplied free of charge. At the end of the testing and upon presentation of results, all products supplied for this test will be subject to the following 3 rules.

1 - The truck owner offering his truck for testing is allowed to keep the cam and equipment of his choice for his personal use.

2 - The remaining cams and equipment will be sold for fair prices.

3 - The proceeds for the sale of the remaining cams and equipment will be directed to the charity of the winners choosing. If everyone agrees on one charity, even better.

Test truck -

2006 Dodge 2500 4x4
33" tires with 3.73 gears
200hp II injectors
Silver bullet
II 85% single CP3 Pump
5" exhaust
Intake / CFM intake manifold
Built auto transmission
Stock intercooler

Daily driver, minimal towing, some drag racing.

So, what do you think?

Bring it. Only problem I see with it is that it's limited to the one truck and people are gonna start arguing that said cam only works for that combo and that xxxx works better with their combo. But then again trying to do this on more than one truck would be ridiculous so let them debate.

Also, none of the cam manufacturers should be allowed to choose the dyno location. Don't want any home court advantages.

There is no tuning done to the truck?, smarty,edge,bully dog,etc.

I think the 200hp injectors are a bit big to compare to most peoples daily driver.

swap in a set of 90-120 hp

also what ex man are you using as there are many ?s about these and headers lately

Sounds good

Sorry, should have specified that.

Smarty TNT-R tuning. Dyno will be done by us, sort of. We are a small shop and do not have our own dyno, yet. We will be using either a mustang or dynojet owned by other local shops that we are good friends with. No home court advantage. None of the manufacturers are nearby.

I agree that one truck is a bit narrow, but its a hell of a lot of work to pull the cam in the same truck that many times, and at least we will all get to see how they perform on a level playing field.

Let the games begin!

Edit - The site isn't letting me edit my original post to add the tuning. Can a mod help me out with that please. Thanks!

Jason, if you want. You can add my truck with his truck. I got Flux 3's(150)'s. And I will be adding a Cam anyways pretty soon. Was leaning towards Zach's, but whoever wants to test their stuff.

64/71/13(s-480 next month)
Flux 3's
Smarty TNT/r , Edge EZ, TST r-39
Dual Pumps(in a month)

Drive truck every day,so I will test the living crap out of it with videos since we are making a mount for a camcorder.

We are in with a complete MaxSpool Engineering system . MaxSpool 2.5++ Cam, Dual valve springs , with matching Titanium retainers, MaxRigid Push rods, and rocker stud kit .

I know that I can see one thing that might be a problem, is that some of the cams might not be equal. Like comparing a 181/210 from hamition to h2 to a maxspool to 2.5++, are all these come some what close to the same duration and lift. You dont what someone to throw a racing profile in there and then compare it to a towing profile. Thank you jason to finally doing what no one wanted to do. Cant wait to see dyno sheets. :rockwoot:

We are in with a complete MaxSpool Engineering system . MaxSpool 2.5++ Cam, Dual valve springs , with matching Titanium retainers, MaxRigid Push rods, and rocker stud kit .

:clap: Way to step up to the plate.

Thanks for doing this testing Diesel Nut. I think the test truck sounds perfect. The parameters you proposed sound excellent as well. We all recognize that all cams are not created equal, and the purpose of this test is to expose that.

I missed what turbo the test truck is running--?

the cam doctor willl keeep the cams honest = you will know a race cam if one is slipped into the mix

This truck doesn't sound like a daily driver.
silver bullet, 200hp injectors and TNTr that occasionaly tow s? It must smoke like a train. It should be interesting to see what the egt s are with a cam, they have to be high now.

that truck sounds like my truck :D

Its his truck. Driven daily. Minimal towing and yes, the truck does emit a small amount of smoke :hehe:

The reason I chose this truck was we can really see the benefit of the cam. This is a truck that smokes and builds heat, and I think could really see some gains from a cam. But which one . . . . . . . . . .

I'm very interested cause i did a cam very recently and my egt s went way up. A few of us on here belive its due to my fuel mods with only a 62/71/14. I was considering a SB66 to lower my temps. So besides the stix i am comparable to the test truck.

This is a great idea dieselnut, cause I am in the process of trying to figure out which cam I would like to run in my truck. Can't wait to see the sheets.

Matt

I know that I can see one thing that might be a problem, is that some of the cams might not be equal. Like comparing a 181/210 from hamition to h2 to a maxspool to 2.5++, are all these come some what close to the same duration and lift. You dont what someone to throw a racing profile in there and then compare it to a towing profile. Thank you jason to finally doing what no one wanted to do. Cant wait to see dyno sheets. :rockwoot:

He said that each manufactur gets to pick what ever cam they think best fits the app. so if one pics a towing cam and on picks a race cam that would be there own problem. both would have +/-. Its there job to pick a cam that will perform well overall.

Just having specs on the cams would be nice, the dyno test is just the frosting...

originally posted by diesel nut.
Now, As for who has the best cam, I don't claim to know, but I will tell you we install the Maxpsool cams. Lots of em. We have done one Hamilton Big Stick that a customer supplied. Not that I have anything agains Hamilton cams, but we stick with what we know and what we know works.

This seems kind of fishy coming from the guy that wants to do all of the tests. When you called diesel nut, I did not know you were such a big Hogue fan. I don't understand why greg would not drive an hour and put a cam in honest comparison with a magazine covering it last week, but be all in on this comparison in California this week. I am all for a comparison but I want it to be done close enough that I can make sure the install is not a sham and that the valves are set correctly.

Greg why didn't you want to put your cam in the hat for the magazine article? The cams were to be installed and dyno'd by a third party being overseen by Chad Westfall. He covered project X for you so you know he can be trusted. Lets pick a truck in central texas, install the cams at your shop, if you want, and dyno all in the same day. Sound good? I bet we could still get Chad to cover it, and I know he is a straight shooter.

Full pull, your truck needs a cam, right?
Zach Hamilton

originally posted by diesel nut.
Now, As for who has the best cam, I don't claim to know, but I will tell you we install the Maxpsool cams. Lots of em. We have done one Hamilton Big Stick that a customer supplied. Not that I have anything agains Hamilton cams, but we stick with what we know and what we know works.

This seems kind of fishy coming from the guy that wants to do all of the tests. When you called diesel nut, I did not know you were such a big Hogue fan. I don't understand why greg would not drive an hour and put a cam in honest comparison with a magazine covering it last week, but be all in on this comparison in California this week. I am all for a comparison but I want it to be done close enough that I can make sure the install is not a sham and that the valves are set correctly.

Greg why didn't you want to put your cam in the hat for the magazine article? The cams were to be installed and dyno'd by a third party being overseen by Chad Westfall. He covered project X for you so you know he can be trusted. Lets pick a truck in central texas, install the cams at your shop, if you want, and dyno all in the same day. Sound good? I bet we could still get Chad to cover it, and I know he is a straight shooter.

Full pull, your truck needs a cam, right?
Zach Hamilton

why not come out to diesel nut?

jason didnt put your cam down he is doing this test to see which one is the best at doing what they claim. also he wouldnt install anything wrong to make one cam look better than another he has nothing to gain because he doesn't make these cams and he wouldnt want to ruin the motor by installing something wrong.

this test is going to be done fairly. never had a problem with jason, he has always been honest and trys his best to keep everything fair. ask another other good diesel shop in northern california and they wont say anything bad.

Zach -

I am sorry you feel this way. I only want to offer our services to bring the information to the members in an accurate fashion. I look forward to the results. I have no profit in the outcome, other than we may install a few more cams locally when its all said and done.

You have to understand that yes, I have been working with Greg for some time now. He is my cam supplier, among other products as well. His cams have worked for us. We have not found a reason to use another cam. Now, if a customer walked in and said he did not want a Maxspool and he wanted one of your cams, do you think I would not be on the phone with you right then to find out what grind you feel will work best for him? Its all about the customer.

So, I invite you to participate, I hope you do.

Jason