Cam comparison

He said that each manufactur gets to pick what ever cam they think best fits the app. so if one pics a towing cam and on picks a race cam that would be there own problem. both would have +/-. Its there job to pick a cam that will perform well overall.

That would hold the supplier accountable for the recommendations they make to a customer. :clap:

Just having specs on the cams would be nice, the dyno test is just the frosting...

I second that!!:rockwoot:

Bring it. Only problem I see with it is that it's limited to the one truck and people are gonna start arguing that said cam only works for that combo and that xxxx works better with their combo. But then again trying to do this on more than one truck would be ridiculous so let them debate.

Also, none of the cam manufacturers should be allowed to choose the dyno location. Don't want any home court advantages.

IF this was to work out well, then possibly it could be repeated on a different truck. This could be done several times on several trucks intended for seperated usage with varying set-ups!!!

It's not like cams are thousands of dollars.

When I tested CP3's a while back, I didn't get any for free. I had to foot the bill to see which one came out on top, and they were 1500-1700 each.

Just call Zach and and one of the F1 dealers and ask for the best cam for your setup.

I know I'd gladly pay for the price of one or two cams for the benefit of all of the installation and dyno time.

Doesn't zach have a money back guarantee anyway?

It must be nice to have the money to do that.

Im sure if I had your money I would go out and buy one of everything just to see if it works or not.

It must be nice to have the money to do that.

Im sure if I had your money I would go out and buy one of everything just to see if it works or not.

So in your mind everyone should supply you with parts to try for free?

Don't get me wrong, it's great when vendors supply products for testing. I've actually been lucky enough to test a couple products for free myself. But I've never asked for, or expected a product for free.

It's great that Greg stepped up to the plate, but if Zach and Don don't want in, I can understand that too.

Is the only thing stopping a reputable shop from testing this product the $400 price tag? Kindof a drop in the bucket -- isn't it?

lol

Is the only thing stopping a reputable shop from testing this product the $400 price tag? Kindof a drop in the bucket -- isn't it?

that is about as true as when the army told me i as a sniper need to stand in the open so the enemy knows i am there and thus they wont atempt to plant any ieds on the road. the bottom line is the cams are 400 bucks sure but the labor and time to have one installed is far more then that. 1300 and up for a shop to do it so jason is going to eat several installs worth 6k in labor to him so that ppl who want to see real results can see them. i belive in put up or shut the **** up. i think this is a great idea and if the cam boys get in then you can even pitch this to a mag to cover as well im sure they would like to see this as well. its all about helping the end user to make the right choice and if your selling your gear then its a drop in the bucket for them to supply the stuff in the name of the ppl who give them the biz and a way of life.

I agree it is a lot of work to install a cam and you are talking a lot of $$$$. But if I owned a shop and could test these cams then I sure would do it just to know that I had the piece of mind of installing and selling the best cam for that customers uses. I would not want my name and my shops reputation riding on a cam maker telling me that there cams are the best because I said so. I think we should get some of the people interested in seeing the results of a cam comparison and we can all kick down a few bucks to make this happen.

Joe

I'm offering my truck up for this event if yall want something in central texas. Yall can keep it for a week if you want to and do whatever you want to to it. Just pay for the fuel LOL. Hell, yall can use it for this event if you want. That is if yall want a real challenge in making power LOL.

originally posted by diesel nut.
Now, As for who has the best cam, I don't claim to know, but I will tell you we install the Maxpsool cams. Lots of em. We have done one Hamilton Big Stick that a customer supplied. Not that I have anything agains Hamilton cams, but we stick with what we know and what we know works.

This seems kind of fishy coming from the guy that wants to do all of the tests. When you called diesel nut, I did not know you were such a big Hogue fan. I don't understand why greg would not drive an hour and put a cam in honest comparison with a magazine covering it last week, but be all in on this comparison in California this week. I am all for a comparison but I want it to be done close enough that I can make sure the install is not a sham and that the valves are set correctly.

Greg why didn't you want to put your cam in the hat for the magazine article? The cams were to be installed and dyno'd by a third party being overseen by Chad Westfall. He covered project X for you so you know he can be trusted. Lets pick a truck in central texas, install the cams at your shop, if you want, and dyno all in the same day. Sound good? I bet we could still get Chad to cover it, and I know he is a straight shooter.

Full pull, your truck needs a cam, right?
Zach Hamilton

Zach, get me a price(PM) on a suitable CAM for my rig. I will be needing it, very soon. Will be dyno tuning the truck at Brown's Diesel starting next month, since I am attending a dyno this week to get base numbers to start with. Mr.Kalkat, I am coming for you :kick:. Grudge Fest :tree:

that is about as true as when the army told me i as a sniper need to stand in the open so the enemy knows i am there and thus they wont atempt to plant any ieds on the road. the bottom line is the cams are 400 bucks sure but the labor and time to have one installed is far more then that. 1300 and up for a shop to do it so jason is going to eat several installs worth 6k in labor to him so that ppl who want to see real results can see them. i belive in put up or shut the **** up. i think this is a great idea and if the cam boys get in then you can even pitch this to a mag to cover as well im sure they would like to see this as well. its all about helping the end user to make the right choice and if your selling your gear then its a drop in the bucket for them to supply the stuff in the name of the ppl who give them the biz and a way of life.

I tried my best to make sense of your post, and I think I agree with you. I think the cost of the cam should be picked up by the owner of the truck. Small price to pay given all of the benefits of free labor and testing.

I think it's great that this shop is willing to do all of this work to insure that their customers get the best product.

I'd gladly pay for a cam in this situation.

The shop is giving several $$$$ in free labor, the truck donor is risking the possibility of blowing a motor or a bunch of wear and tear breaking in new cams, so I think it's fair that the cam manufacturers donate a cam. What's their cost of one cam vs the possibility of selling many more cams?

Maybe the truck owner can pick up some of the dyno fees if a free dyno cannot be found.

As far as dyno, I think you need to establish mustang or dynojet up front. They load the truck different enough to give different results.

A set course for fuel economy should be set up as well, just be sure to fill the truck up to the filler neck on all tests so there is no chance of underfilling before the test.

All in all, this is a great idea and is the kind of info that could push cheap skates like me into buying a cam.

I also agree that magazine coverage is necessary as this will provide more incentive for the cam manufacturers to provide a cam. Surely all cams will have benefits that will help sell more total product. What if the max spool ends up spooling the fastest but makes less peak HP than Hamiliton's. Hamilton would probably sell more cams to dyno queen guys and Greg would sell more cams to high altitude guys that hate turbo lag. Just saying, the magazine coverage will be plenty of incentive for all major cam manufacturers to step up to the plate.

Zach, get me a price(PM) on a suitable CAM for my rig. I will be needing it, very soon. Will be dyno tuning the truck at Brown's Diesel starting next month, since I am attending a dyno this week to get base numbers to start with. Mr.Kalkat, I am coming for you :kick:. Grudge Fest :tree:

if i had my indexing ring, i would be there in a heart beat. but for sure fallon my truck should be ready :)

, the truck donor is risking the possibility of blowing a motor or a bunch of wear and tear breaking in new cams, so I think it's fair that the cam manufacturers donate a cam.

We aren't talking experimental parts here. Were talking about cams that are already out on the market and have proven to be reliable. There is no additional risk associated with being the test truck. It's a win-win situation - -Instead of paying $400 for the cam and $1200 for labor, and another $100 or $200 for dyno time, the owner is only out the cost of the cam. Not to mention that the test vehicle will ultimately end up with the best cam for his setup.

If anything, the manufacturer should offer to buy back the cams that aren't selected.

Does Don M offer his injectors for free for people to test against others? no
Do II and Floor it offer their pumps for free for people to test? no

There is no other scenerio where this happens. This is exactly like the CP3 thread that went down 4-5 months ago. Nobody jumped in because they all realized that they had a lot to lose.

If Zach, Don, and Greg all jump in, this test will lead to two guys not selling many cams and one guy with all the business. Thats great for you and I, but why would they risk it? They're all selling cams at this point, and it'll ultimately be up to guys like you and I, along with shops to put down some $ to make this happen.

Diesel nut is pulling more than their weight here.

If anything, the manufacturer should offer to buy back the cams that aren't selected.

at the end the cams and equipment that dont stay in the truck would be sold off and the proceeds for the sale will be directed to the charity of the winners choice.

at the end the cams and equipment that dont stay in the truck would be sold off and the proceeds for the sale will be directed to the charity of the winners choice.

But how quick do you think a cam that just lost the cam shootout will sell and for how much less than it would have sold for before the shootout. A cam is something I would never buy used. Like JP said, there is to much on the line for the cam makers to loose and it isn't the best business decision to take a chance of cutting you own throat.

Joe

Why didnt you go with a test truck that has way less airflow through the head like a 12v? Wouldnt the improvement be more drastic?

none of it matters...this isn't going to happen.

I really dont think there would be winners and losers, I think each cam would have its own unique pros and cons one may spool faster the other may lower egts, another may improve fuel mileage. some may make big HP numbers on the dyno but really suck to drive.

I think everyone wants something differant, sled pullers, drag racers, dyno, DD.

so dont think of it as a win or lose competition..... Its a comparison!

I really dont think there would be winners and losers, I think each cam would have its own unique pros and cons one may spool faster the other may lower egts, another may improve fuel mileage. some may make big HP numbers on the dyno but really suck to drive.

I think everyone wants something differant, sled pullers, drag racers, dyno, DD.

so dont think of it as a win or lose competition..... Its a comparison!

i think your correct, one cam will help the turbo spool faster than the other but the other would make more power. but we'll see what happens