Compound turbo build and other updates

I thought you had said it was a billet wheel? Im confused... Disregard, carry on

This might work better, im posting just for comparison sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W35pQgS4m1I

Dang that thing lights fast, heck I don't think my setup lights that quick, and I'm only running a 63/68/.83 secondary. Geez my truck is a POS.

Side note, what does your converter "flash stall" to while holding the brakes? Mine goes to about 14-1500 with the supposedly stock stall. The old one only went to like 1200 and it SUCKED spooling turbos.

I'll get some video of the spool when i get the truck running again, blew the rear freeze plug a couple days ago.:doh:

Dang that thing lights fast, heck I don't think my setup lights that quick, and I'm only running a 63/68/.83 secondary. Geez my truck is a POS.

Side note, what does your converter "flash stall" to while holding the brakes? Mine goes to about 14-1500 with the supposedly stock stall. The old one only went to like 1200 and it SUCKED spooling turbos.

I'll get some video of the spool when i get the truck running again, blew the rear freeze plug a couple days ago.:doh:

around 1400 I would guess, I also have a helix 2 camshaft, no head work, but I did set the valves to .007'' and .016'' Even now I still have small boost leaks I need to clean up, so it can be faster. But the engine is running good, the velocity of the smoke out of the tailpipe tells me its just a little pissed off. :rockwoot:

83 turbine?

yes, also, videos were made at 4400ft elevation. Cant wait to get this thing down to vegas for some dense air!

What kind of exhaust housing does it have? Is it fairly streetable?

I didn't think it was possible to street drive a single that large on a 12v, especially in an auto.

What kind of exhaust housing does it have? Is it fairly streetable?

I didn't think it was possible to street drive a single that large on a 12v, especially in an auto.

It's a .85 or .83 custom unit from engineered diesel. I daily drive it everywhere, and I tow with it. It does pretty good towing, with a load it lites faster and stays fully lit.

It does surge a lot now that I have more fuel pushing it.

Last edited:
Ok here is a crappy video of spoolup and me forgetting to shut the vid offLOL
Still takes too long to light, WAY too much low end fuel and probably still some boost and drive leaks. Still cruises at 800-1000:doh:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBi51Tm3mY"]Spool with new converter - YouTube[/ame]

Have you tried a different egt gauge? Fuel wise we are very similar and I cruise around 600-700 65-80

Have you tried a different egt gauge? Fuel wise we are very similar and I cruise around 600-700 65-80

lol, my egt gauge is having problems, its getting jumpy and stuff. I guess it could be off but I doubt it. I'm also at a higher elevation and my truck is kinda heavy. I think my setup just sucks LOL

lol, my egt gauge is having problems, its getting jumpy and stuff. I guess it could be off but I doubt it. I'm also at a higher elevation and my truck is kinda heavy. I think my setup just sucks LOL

Your EGT gauge is more than likely jumpy because you have a loose connection at the probe. Check your connection there. This happens to me every now and then.

If you have addressed all major leaks (minor leaks don't make the difference between suck and awesome in my experience and I've had a few) it is time for you to try different injectors. Nothing makes more difference in the fun of the truck in my years of experience with my truck. Some trucks, even with stock pistons, seem to like 145 degree injectors and some like 155 degree (mine) injectors. You can sell those 5x18s and have some marines worked to whatever size you like. I would be less than shocked if a switch to a wider angle injector fixes your "my setup sucks" problem. Good luck.

Comparing cruise EGTs to a full weight 4x4 at stock height (guessing that is what he has) and a half ton 2x4 conversion is not apples to apples. My truck was often around 100 degrees cooler when I had it lowered vs 2" higher than factory in the front which is how it sits today. Further, adding a lock right in the front added a little drag and more cruise egt. Point: apples to apples or confusion results.

Yeah my truck is a ECLB 4x4, and it has a steel flatbed. I'm guessing it weighs 7500 or so.

Comparing cruise EGTs to a full weight 4x4 at stock height (guessing that is what he has) and a half ton 2x4 conversion is not apples to apples. My truck was often around 100 degrees cooler when I had it lowered vs 2" higher than factory in the front which is how it sits today. Further, adding a lock right in the front added a little drag and more cruise egt. Point: apples to apples or confusion results.

Lol its not a conversion I had to do more welding and find a new bed LOL But I smell what you are stepping in.

I know... lol... actually I was wrong it just blew off the pipe, I got a new peak boot gonna put some hose clamps around the middle, im too lazy too build new ic pipes right now