Compound turbo build and other updates

I spun a lobe in my truck too, even using synthetic oils. I think I remember reading the zinc content was lowered, maybe for catalytic converters? EPA planned obsolescence? can result in damage to flat tappet setups, especially when theres more stress on the valvetrain from upgrades like higher lift cams and heavier springs.
Fortunately, Zach warrantied the cam even though it was 100% not his fault. Unfortunately, the shop labor stabbed my wallet in the back and left it for dead.

I dont think theres much you can do about the black oil. Maybe a bypass filter will cut down on the larger particles. Anyone had an oil analysis with extra black oil and recall if this was normal or bad?

Every oil change I've ever done on any of my diesel engines comes out black as night after 500 miles lol

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think Zach posted that if you're driving is very aggressive, regular use the zinc additive is needed.
The instructions that came with my 188/220 cam state 2 bottles of hamilton zinc additive to break in and one bottle every oil change after that.

Not much of an update.. pretty much got the whole bottom end together of the new block, then found out the cam bores are worn to heck and back. One is so bad I doubt theres even meat for bushings. fml

52a428c17dd6528fd8e5fb8415219e06.jpg

$600 later... We have cam bushings

Sent from phone

That's a fun process I am in the middle of making the tooling and cutting my first block. Sure takes time

welp... she runs again finally. just gotta retorque and get some load on it. Timing is backed way down and plate at half lol hopefully it'll live for a bit

Not much, my airdog took a crap so it's just sitting in the garage and I could use some extra cash right now. I wanna try some different primaries one of these days when I get on top of things or ditch the trips and go back to twins, haven't decided yet..

Sent from phone

Kinda wanna save some pennies and try a couple of the new s366sxe's... I heard they changed the turbine a bit so they should be more responsive.? It definitely took a power hit when I went went to the the s363's..truck was a beast with the 66mm primaries? And drive pressure is much higher now. But I did go to a tighter t3 housing on the manifold charger so idk. Still got the gate tho so it might be ok.

Sent from phone

Hmmm... I wonder if that would spool much slower than the current 63/68 on the manifold..

Sent from phone

Yeah, I hardly think that would be worth doing unless I went with the bigger turbine to help the HP charger do its job better.

Sent from phone

SO I'm wondering whats the best turbine housing for the primaries .88 open or .91? The hotpipe is open but I'm still curious if the .91's will respond better