Compound turbo build and other updates

I know remote mount turbo's are generally laggy, but they do work, even with hot pipes that are 5-10 feet long. So having a hot pipe that is 2 to 3 feet long doesn't seem all that bad....

I know this isn't an all out performance truck, but with longer hot pipes, do you have to worry so much about heat loss and velocity loss? I know you can wrap it, but that doesn't keep everything in. Or is it not enough to matter?

I know this isn't an all out performance truck, but with longer hot pipes, do you have to worry so much about heat loss and velocity loss? I know you can wrap it, but that doesn't keep everything in. Or is it not enough to matter?

I ran side by side twins on a 12v.

Had the hot pipe heat wrapped and I could still tell the difference in spool up between cruising down the highway then passing someone or if the hotpipe had some heat in it after a few WOT passes.

Nothing terrible but it was there.

Velocity not sure.

Well its 1/4" wall pipe and I wrapped it up good, the 88 does take a bit to get going but I think its mostly cause of the 1.32 housing and 88/96 turbineLOL

Well its 1/4" wall pipe and I wrapped it up good, the 88 does take a bit to get going but I think its mostly cause of the 1.32 housing and 88/96 turbineLOL

You should send me your primary to try, and I'll send you mine...
Mine is a FI S482/92/1.10 with race cover, and ceramic coated exhaust housing.
I would LOVE to try an S488.

FWIW I run a Ford 6.0L twin setup, and the hotpipe is sched 40 3" pipe about 2.5 feet long. I had it ceramic coated inside and out, and then wrapped it from the secondary to about half way to the primary. (Ran out of wrap)
I have an EGT gauge in my engine exhaust manifold, and another right before the inlet of the primary...and it is a constant 200*F cooler exhaust going into the primary.
If I had more time...and yet another gauge or two, I would install another EGT guage right before the secondary's turbine inlet, and another one right behind the turbine outlet. (To see the differential across the secondary.)

So did the new turbo help alot or not worth the effort? Im not ready to get rid of my he351 yet, but if it was a big enough difference then yea. Just curious cuz your setup is quite similar to mine

So did the new turbo help alot or not worth the effort? Im not ready to get rid of my he351 yet, but if it was a big enough difference then yea. Just curious cuz your setup is quite similar to mine

Well i haven't had it very long so its hard to say yet but so far the top end and drive pressures are better. but this 63 does have a lot more lag and runs hotter cruising. One would probably be better off getting a turbo with a divided exh housing, heck I might even throw a divided housing on this one sometime if I get too sick of the lazy bottom end.

dangit now ya tell me!LOL Cliff did mention he was getting his s300 with a 351 flange on the back, of course after I already bought this one:bang

But I could just swap housings right? this turbo is just a regular BW 63/68 with a custom exh housing as far as I know

Mr Garmon told me that going from a traditional twin setup to no hot pipe at all (primary welded directly to secondary) picked up 70-90 hp every time it was done. I wonder what the temp difference is with the long pipes at the primary.

There are 3 different Garrett 88mm cast compressor wheels used in the S400 platform, and you have the lowest flowing version, I would actually venture to say it most likely does not flow any significant amount more than a BW 80mm cast compressor wheel.

uuummmm bad news it appears that one of my a1 h11 headstuds broke after a wot launch. made a nice mess of oil:bang:bang not sure what to do now.
IMG_0177.jpg