Cummins + Blower + 2 Very Big Twin Turbos.....

Would the supercharger be bypassed once the turbo lights? SO with a roots type the turbos would blow through the SC (which is sittin on the intake manifold) wouldnt the SC hinder turbo perfomance once they are makin boast? Would a procharger work better pre turbo blowing through the turbo? Dont know much about it just thinkin:evil This has really caught my attention. What would be the best setup for both a roots and a centrifical

My idea: big turbo (like S475) and roots blower between engine and turbo.

From idle speed 15 psi, and when big charger start makeking boost blower will continiue multiplying it. :st:

Faulkner, that's the duramax ben was talking about... It no longer runs that particular setup though... Now it's strictly two superchargers and NO turbo(s). He plumbed them into one of those Banks Big Hoss intakes. It IS a badass build. The guy has mad skills at fabbing up stuff that no one has ever done before. Simply amazing.

C-ya

A AC type clutch on the blower would be cool. Once the twins were on boost you could shut the blower down and install a valve to prevent back feeding the blower. That way it get's rid of all the parasitic loss from the blower. A hobbs switch to shut it down at a specific boost and possibly a second hobbs to close the valve (or a spring).

I know one guy who tried the AC clutch thing on the blower and he had to turn the car off to engage/disengage the clutch because if he did it while the car was running it would shatter the clutches.

where can i get a set up with a whipple charger? how good does it work and how much do u have to fabercate

You can't just "get it"....it's all hand fabbed. I wouldn't even wanna know what it costs. LOL

Didn't anyone do this yet? I really would love to do this next summer but need someone else to do some r&d first.:poke:

Didn't anyone do this yet? I really would love to do this next summer but need someone else to do some r&d first.:poke:

I did this with a pair of Paxton's on a 7.3 PSD a year or so ago, no turbos, DI headers (true duals on a PSD, sounded badass IMO). The guy still drives it daily, I saw him this morning.

Ive saw plenty of supercharged turbocharged diesels in my line of work. In fact almost any heavy diesel in the army is powered this way. Everything from V-6 detroit diesels to big V-12's. So it isnt that hard but not sure how to plumb it for a cummins but a power stroke or d-max now thats easy to do.

Why not a supercharger before a single. The supercharger would act like the primary turbo in twins but it would react sooner? Maybe this is what people are talking about.
If anyone has a centrifugal supercharger laying around I will put it a head of my 71mm s300 for some test and tune?

Why not a supercharger before a single. The supercharger would act like the primary turbo in twins but it would react sooner? Maybe this is what people are talking about.
If anyone has a centrifugal supercharger laying around I will put it a head of my 71mm s300 for some test and tune?

That's just it... a supercharger (centrifical like a Paxton or Vortech) in front of a turbo is what I want to do, but...

My questions are... What about when the turbo's lit, and the blower can't keep up with it? In other words, how would the turbo suck enough air once it needs it?

I've seen a Vortech S-trim in front of a 76mm TN on a 12v Cummins before but can't find it anywhere. I'm talking on a PSD here, seems easy enough but the plumbing thing has me...

Anyone?
Seems like a logical way to get my truck off drugs...

The way I was told is that on the detroits with a turbo and supercharger, the s/c had moveable end plates to let the boost bypass the s/c. So if the right one could be found, it should make a good combo. How bad would it be to run twins into one with end plates that don't move? Would it hinder airflow that bad, or would it compound the air once again, making even more power?

Jordan

Pretty sure the blowers didn't have bypass plates, been a LONG time since I rebuilt one of those blowers......On 2 cycle diesels, the blower is only a positive displacement pump, turbo presures up the intake of the blower, means more cfm through the blower...... from denser air.

So as long as the blower isn't to small, then it shouldn't be too much of a restriction huh? Would a 6-71 be big enough, or would a 8-71 be better?

5.9=360ci
6-71=426ci
8-71=568ci

I know drive speed plays a big part in how much air is moved with a s/c, but does anyone know if a two stroke sees boost or vac at idle? Also how does the difference between a two stroke and four stroke affect how much air the engine needs/uses? It kinda seems like a two stroke would use twice as much air because it has twice as many power strokes, but is this really true?

Jordan