Cummins + Blower + 2 Very Big Twin Turbos.....

yes, a two stroke would consume twice the air of a four stroke at the same given rpm.

Man that vid clip of it starting and idling sounds awsome ,,, What a monster ..

All you guys saying Detroit are gettin the wrong picture, the blower is to pressurize the airbox for scavenging. If it wasnt pressurized it would choke on its own exhaust being a 2 stroke. So without the blower it wouldnt run. Not raggin on anyone just informing.

Detroits have ports at the bottom of the liners to let air in. Without the supercharger, not only would the engine not push the exhaust out, it will never suck in air.

How much air box pressure does a typical nonturbo two stroke run at idle, mid throttle, wide open?

Jordan

Detroits have ports at the bottom of the liners to let air in. Without the supercharger, not only would the engine not push the exhaust out, it will never suck in air.

However even with the supercharger the detroit barely makes almost zero horsepower and just enough torque to scare a lawnmower BUT is the most efficient design to turn diesel fuel into noise.:hehe:

thoughts

671 and 871 blowers been makin in excess of 1000 hp on a gasser for 40 or so years - and it takes a lot of air (1000+ cfm) to make a 1000+ hp - so I dont think air supply from the blower is the issue here

the issue is that all of the centrifugal blowers with the exception of maybe the whipple need about 5-7000 rpm to make enough air to make that kinda hp

So take any centifugal charger, and hook it to a jackshaft so it is turnin say 3500 rpm at idle, thereby makin around 5-8 psi, then feed the turbo(s) into the charger
As rpm rises to say 3400 on the motor the charger is now turnin its 35-45,000 rpm (4:1 ratio after the jackshaft) it will certainly handle all of the air that a 3" intake feed pipe from the turbos can flow

And here is your stumblin block - nobody is runnin larger piping than 3" or thereabouts and a 3" pipe can only flow a certain amount of air - if memory serves thats about 1100 cfm at 80 psi and not many of us are makin 80 psi

At the end of the day in my mind and with current thinking and setup it will be the turbos starvin the supercharger not the other way around

Now take two modified s300 type turbos as singles, split the exhaust manifold, and then feed the blower with two 4" pipes and you might get somewhere

:blahblah1:$.02

There is no reason a detroit diesel setup would work on a four stroke diesel. The blower would be great out of the of the line and the turbo would be great for top end. Ive seen 8v92 detroits with the factory style supercharger make well over 2000hp (on nitrous though). But its probly not as simple as it seems, and ive worked on detroits and their not the best running engines, they dont like to idle.

There is no reason a detroit diesel setup would work on a four stroke diesel. The blower would be great out of the of the line and the turbo would be great for top end. Ive seen 8v92 detroits with the factory style supercharger make well over 2000hp (on nitrous though). But its probly not as simple as it seems, and ive worked on detroits and their not the best running engines, they dont like to idle.

i have a circle track peterbilt at my shop with a 8v92. stupid fast!!! stock detroits may be a dog but with the right parts they can make serious power!! don't like to idle though..crazy lope!

there is one powerstroke guy has it handled nicely and was sellin complete motors on Ebay about a year ago
He ran a jackshaft with big n little wheels to run the procharger up to speed at idle - clained 15 psi at idle and 30 at 3200 rpm all by itself then with the turbo added it was about 60 psi if memory serves
it was an awesum setup to be sure
I am i n the same boat - I got a setup all designed but havnt the coin to build it
it truly would be awesum to have a blower stickin outa the hood lol

I wonder if the gearing within a centrifugal supercharger can be modified in order to produce more boost due to the low RPM situation?

B-bump......

IMG_1268.jpg

:shake:

Wow, all kinds of old threads coming back to life tonight. Keep working on it though, that way when your done I can just steal your ideas and not have to figure anything out for myself.:hehe:

I am wondering about if mounting the blower down low and plumb up to the intake- kinda like some of the old skool guys did on their gassers.........

I have something little bit more modern and more effective ...:evil

Blower+ big twins = :ft:

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 47