D-Max Nova

Brett, any changes since breaking the input on the 400 or just put another one in and it becomes a case of swapping it out a few times a season when it lets go?

EDIT: Crap, didn't mean to clutter your thread, Russ.

Brett, any changes since breaking the input on the 400 or just put another one in and it becomes a case of swapping it out a few times a season when it lets go?

EDIT: Crap, didn't mean to clutter your thread, Russ.

Sorry Russ, I just wanted to answer this question. Turns out that was a stock output shaft in my truck. Rossler is installing a one piece output shaft / drum. I should have it back next week.

Once again guys great job and look forward to seeing you guys at a race in the future.

Saw this car last weekend at redding and wow really awesome in person haha

Hey Russ,

Just wanted to chime in and tell good job!!! The nova is quite the piece.

I've been talking with Pete at hughes. He's probably got bloody fingertips replying to all my questions. lol

I ended up finding a used lenco for cheap and am going to give that a go next season.

Thanks again for helping us out. How's your XP5 doing???

Thanks a bunch bud! Think we finally have the Trans dialed in. We got an extra 500rpm out of the converter on the last checkup, it was much needed. They also re worked the lockup circuitry and feed line for an improvement as well. I've been slammed at the shop and haven't had time to work on the car, but should be able to get back to the track before Christmas (Only benefit of living in this state). I'm thinking of swapping out the 2.90 gear and putting the GearVendor back in with a 3.42 . That would help the 60' out quite a bit. Still thinking on that one, as the GV was the next weak link in the drivetrain, but the 3.42 would help there as well.

Last edited:
Looks Good

Nice runs Russ. Its good to see the XP5 working out. I think a 3.42 would help also. We run a 3.54 in the little Chevy II. We started with a 3.07 and found it was to much. Good luck and I hate you running all year long!!! Not really. lol I couldn't afford that. I need to rest to regroup.

Speaking of drag racing in winter, you going to the New Year's drag in Sac? I might try to come down with my everything.

Jeff, it's definitely nice being able to try things all winter. Without events in the winter sometimes it's not prepped and full hits are out of question in higher hp rides. Hopefully with the steam rollers in the rear we won't have that issue. I'd like to get the car up to Rob this winter and dial in the tuning also.

Jason, that's a realistic date to hit the track and should be prepped ok. I'll set that as our next event.

I'm thinking of swapping out the 2.90 gear and putting the GearVendor back in with a 3.42

I have resolved that the power glide is not the fastest way to go with a diesel. It may be the lightest, but, not the fastest.

We ran the 1/4 at one event and this is what we learned. We had our 1/8th mile gears (3.89 w 1.56 first) in and the little truck and still didn't top out at the 1/8th. I think we could have ran a 4.10 especially if we could have cranked up to 6k. Anyhow, our 60's were still slow from what they should have been. The best we ever 60'd was a 1.44. She did top out just past the 1/8th stripe and Craig held it down through the 1/4. If we could have had one more gear and a lock up, I'm pretty sure we could have gone high 9's. My point is, all those fellas telling me to go with a 47rh were right. Regardless of what the trany weighed, it would have been faster by keeping the engine in a tighter rpm range. Additionally, with 2.?? first gear, she would have flat leaped out of the hole and prob dropped the 60's down to a low 1.3?.

I think you'll pick up substantially with the gear vendors and a lower final.

No doubt that we can get the 60's down, even with what we are running now. Tuning alone would help a bunch, she's pretty fat off the line and for the first 30-40'. We are cutting 1.42's and have not had a launch where the tires hooked yet.

Gearing

Bodacious I would have to respectively have to disagree. With the TQ a diesel has you don't need a lot of low gear. If you can't get the 60 were it needs to be has chassis issues or something else. Now if your talking a 6000 lbs truck then yes you need a little gear to help get it going. My personal opinion is you had guys who had no idea what they were doing with you tranny/converter setup using a diesel. They may be the **** with a gasser in the dirt but not so much with a diesel. I have had my converter back no less than 15 times to get it were its at. Not easy but not impossible. I ran a clutch setup back in the late 90's early 2000's with a NA small block S-10. I had a clutchless jerico in it. It did run 9.20's in street trim with no nitrous but I will never run a clutch again. Its just flat to much work! When I go racing I want to have fun not work on it every round. I raced it a bunch at Kanawha Valley back when the had street car shotouts. Please don't take this wrong it's just my opinion form a guy who has tried a little but of everything.

Powerglides

Just for the record my buddy with the chevy II has run 9.20's with non lockup glide with no problems from the glide. When we first had it out it did leak from the front seal a couple of times but found out it had a piece of metal blocking the return feed from the converter in the pump. Fixed that now no problem with the tranny. Keeping the heads cool, that's another story. lol

Keep up the good work Russ and crew.

I run a lockup 400 in my truck and have had great luck with it. The only problem I have had with it so far was breaking the output shaft when I let off the trans brake at 75psi of boost. That was a stock shaft and the trans now has a billet shaft in it.
I used my Gear Vendors one time and it burnt the clutchs out of it. I think it was driver error. I sent it back into GV and they rebuilt it with all the new stuff they have out and I'm going to try it again in my truck. I run a 2.90 gear and pull 1.33-1.39 60ft. My motor loves low rpm and lots of torque so I'm going to install the GV and see if it helps. Right now I run 158mph @ 5000rpm. Next year I'm looking to hit 165mph!!

On the topic of GV. the top three cars at drag week, who were all in the 6's were all running GV's

But none of those cars were making anywhere near 2200 ft-lbs of tq like the race vehicles being discussed here.

Honest question, does that matter for those units? I have no idea how they work so IDK how the increased tq would effect them.

I run a 2.90 gear and pull 1.33-1.39 60ft

What is your 1st gear ratio? I google'd it and the stock ratio for a th400 is 2.48. You are leaving with a final of 7.19.

We were at 1.56x3.89=6.07. We went to a flashlight drag deal once and I left the 4.56 mud gears in. This was a 7.11 final. The thing shot out of the hole, but, I was outa gear at a little over 330'. I'd like to have known the 60' but they didn't have timers.

bcdeutsch731, that truck of yours is simply amazing so whatever it likes, keep feeding it. lol I mean going that quick at that weight, holly crap.