Detroit Diesel, breaking cranks, what to do...

LMFAO! That is right.....

I spent my share of time behind one of those stinking, oil leaking smoking loud a@@ Detroits I can barely look at one any more.

There's still one on a slashing machine here...have to admit when you crack it full throttle and its a full song....for about two seconds I think....SWEET.

Their whisper quiet sound levels at full throttle make them ideally suited to generator use in Canada. That's why they say, "eh" all the time.
You win the internets. Your prize will arrive shortly. I so badly want a detroit in my '49 so it sounds like 100mph at 10.

Military uses detroits in a lot of our equipment. The last of the trucks marines use got replace with a cat 15 but most of the assault vehicles still use them. Won't run without the roots blower

You win the internets. Your prize will arrive shortly. I so badly want a detroit in my '49 so it sounds like 100mph at 10.

When I was in grade school(early 60's) we lived in a logging town and I often got rides home from work on weekends and during the summer in an old Autocar log truck. Guys hated the detroits even back then. Several of the water trucks ran them. Only thing worse to listen to was an old Homelite chain saw.

Hey, come drive this one, it'll change you're mind! torque, power, quiet (twins are the best mufflers ever), the sweetest throttle response ever, doesn't leak oil or smoke, even under load. They just needed a few modifications to be nice.

I was told from Pius that bucks stock crank would hold 140psi of boost in his 453.. he also said that low rpm is what hurts them, so you might not do any more 30 to 70mph pulls but stay above 22-2500rpm for all full power runs as to not lug it..

Not to derail, but what RPM are you turning and what is your estimated rwhp and tq?

I'm not too familiar with Detroit's except the 8v92 we had in our fire truck.

Not to derail, but what RPM are you turning and what is your estimated rwhp and tq?

I'm not too familiar with Detroit's except the 8v92 we had in our fire truck.

Currently 3600 rpm, should be between 350 - 400 hp, no idea on torque, the hp and torque takes long enough to come on (big turbo) that it almost worthless with the manual trans, drives like a 250 hp engine unless you're in top gear and can make a long hard run, or in front of a sled with time to spool it, then it's pretty awsome! It runs 50 to 100mph faster than the local chipped duramax's. Actually, it may have more hp, I dunno, it's outpulled several 500 hp trucks, but you know how it is, truck setup, gearing and driver has a whole lot more to do with it than HP. I'ts never won a first yet, but it gets a second about every other pull. Just local pulls, nothing big time, but it's becoming the truck to beat around here. (Except I have broken it before every single pull so far this year!) I want a minimum of 800 HP, and I think I can do it.

That's impressive! Thanks.

How hard is it to get that 3-53 to 400?

Same as a 12v to?? 500, 700, ???

Thanks! I'm thinking about throwing one of those into my rat rod if I can find one. Trying to figure out how easy and how much to get some hp outta it.

Misspelling courtesy of my fat fingers...

Go start a new thread, and I'll help you as much as I can. This thread is about getting 800 HP out of one!

I'm not gonna throw any numbers out, but up to my level, it's all stock parts except the turbos -if you can keep here together... You'll need to do a little valve train work, build it with different pistons/liners, and when you build your intake/exhaust, build with airflow at the top of the list, these engines like to breath, and air burns fuel, the more the better, and the better the flow, the lower the boost has to be. I'll tell ya what parts/injectors I used in your new thread.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to derail your thread.

I wonder if your crank breaking coincided with Detroit filing for bankruptcy :lolly:

I have a 471 in an old rough terrain crane. All it knows how to do is run.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to derail your thread.

For the love of god what were you thinking asking any kind of question regarding that dinky 353 along with your pathetic power goals.

The bull**** be deep about it being any where near the thing to beat sled pulling.

For the love of god what were you thinking asking any kind of question regarding that dinky 353 along with your pathetic power goals.

The bull**** be deep about it being any where near the thing to beat sled pulling.

Whaat?? Not sure what you mean, Don't be too hard on him, the insanity has to start somewhere! (Unless you're crapping on my power goals, then go ahead!)

Last edited:
Whaat?? Not sure what you mean, Don't be too hard on him, the insanity has to start somewhere! (Unless you're crapping on my power goals, then go ahead!)

Wasn't being hard on him.....was taking a poke at you for the
"Go start a new thread, and I'll help you as much as I can. This thread is about getting 800 HP out of one!"

Surely there's enough room here for a question or two from those folks.

shoot bucks got twins now, and 155s in his 453 and is hoping for 350.. you must have some magic in that 353 I would like to know about..

Might contact Ed Nix in lawerenceburg he has built comp cranks for tractors in the area

Back