Detroit Diesel, breaking cranks, what to do...

he has a na blower on, but no one seems to share the info on what makes these old 2 strokes run hard like the low port liners etc. He keeps wanting to mess with the cam and also keeps thinking he wants to do a blower bypass.. I still think a more efficient blower like a new style eaton would be better than no blower.. he wants to unload the blower at high boost. Now he is thinking the gov is holding him back so now that's the next thing he wants to play with..

800hp is 5hp/cu in, I just don't see that poor little guy staying together at that level. Aluminum or iron block?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

800hp is 5hp/cu in, I just don't see that poor little guy staying together at that level. Aluminum or iron block?

He said gama goat block which would lead me to believe aluminum

he has a na blower on, but no one seems to share the info on what makes these old 2 strokes run hard like the low port liners etc. He keeps wanting to mess with the cam and also keeps thinking he wants to do a blower bypass.. I still think a more efficient blower like a new style eaton would be better than no blower.. he wants to unload the blower at high boost. Now he is thinking the gov is holding him back so now that's the next thing he wants to play with..

Tell him to remove the gov spring pack, dissasemble the spring pack and remove the outer (limiting speed) spring. Make a sleeve to go in place of the spring that is about .010 shorter than tight when installed. This will leave the idle governor, but disable the high speed govorner. Now go work on the valvetrain!

But... it's two stroke, so it's probably more like the stresses of 3hp/cu inch.

Last edited:
If you want to try to keep that thing together as long a possible I STRESS the routine of parts CONDITIONING and stress riser removal. Have you ever attempted to enlarge the induction ports on the sleeve at all? If its even worth it since the ports surround the cylinder.

Doug Doring messed with porting the cyl ports and had negative results.
Doug probably has the highest hp 6v53.

a couple of pictures of bucks diamond t with twins now
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Sprague/media/bucks%20stuff/20130729_115619_zpsc5748aaf.jpg.html"]20130729_115619_zpsc5748aaf.jpg Photo by Adam_Sprague | Photobucket[/ame]
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Sprague/media/bucks%20stuff/20130729_115611_zps61af5996.jpg.html"]20130729_115611_zps61af5996.jpg Photo by Adam_Sprague | Photobucket[/ame]

Military uses detroits in a lot of our equipment. The last of the trucks marines use got replace with a cat 15 but most of the assault vehicles still use them. Won't run without the roots blower

LAV-25 is the only thing that uses a Detroit (6V53)

the older super-HET, LVS/ HMMT (8v92) and bradley (6V can't remember if 53 or 71) use them too. If memory serves there were a lot of 903 cummins v-8's.

Well then that narrows it to the LAV-25 you mentioned and the LVS then. I seem to remember a unit having an rg31 with a detroit in it, but it may have been a loaner.

Detroit Diesel....effectively creating useless noise form otherwise good diesel since 1937.

Tell me again how 1937 technology can make 5hp/l. LOL

Back