ED s62/68/13ssWRC writeup and pics!!

a lot of people fail to realize that even with enough fuel to light a charger, if you crank up EGT's getting it lit, you're left with higher EGT's and smoke once it's lit

makes perfect sense forrest, i will take that in consideration before i start throwin more fuel at it down low.

Wes

Interesting thread. I've tried several 65mm turbine S300s in my various twin setups. All ran hot and seemed weak on top. I don't understand why some have issues with the 71mm turbine, I guess it just depends on the truck. I may see if these are still available later when i swap to my other pump for the winter. I've been wanting to go back to a nice, clean, 500hp twin setup for a while and was planning on getting another 62/71/.8. Maybe one of these 68's would be better on a small set of twins? Depending on cost of course. Do they make it with a .8 cast iron instead of the 13ss?

Ron, we have cast as well.

What S400 would you suggest pairing it with to be about equal to a 62/71/.8 over k31(the real one with the 1.28 wastegated exh.). I ran that combo for several years and it worked extremely well. The k31 is really big though(physical size). I was thinking a 72/83/1.1 might spool well and be slightly better on top end(smaller size externally too).

What S400 would you suggest pairing it with to be about equal to a 62/71/.8 over k31(the real one with the 1.28 wastegated exh.). I ran that combo for several years and it worked extremely well. The k31 is really big though(physical size). I was thinking a 72/83/1.1 might spool well and be slightly better on top end(smaller size externally too).

That is what I would recommend (72ett,0.63ar/83-74,T-6 1.10ar) based on our past conversations and the info you've given us.

Chris

:cheer::cheer::cheer: Dyno Dyno Dyno Come one Wes !!!

On a different note I wonder what kinda power I could pick up replacing the Hx35/14 with something a bit more effecient. At my power level and 75psi it has to be stressing it...lol

Hey Chris when do my 2nd gen manifold swap could I then get a race cover for my 64??? Would I gain anything from it on my 3rd gen??

After studying the pictures that Wdimig put up I've come to the conclusion that these are not wastegated?

After studying the pictures that Wdimig put up I've come to the conclusion that these are not wastegated?

They're gated. The actuator is a much smaller mechanical spring unit, not a bigger diaphram deal.

Gated or Not

They're gated. The actuator is a much smaller mechanical spring unit, not a bigger diaphram deal.

Ok, good to know thanks. I'm really looking hard at getting one of these. Would really like to hear a towing report though.

Ok, good to know thanks. I'm really looking hard at getting one of these. Would really like to hear a towing report though.

May have one in 2 weeks, I'll keep you guys posted.

The cover has shown close to 10% over the std 0.55AR Borg Warner compressor cover when set up properly.

Chris...
So your saying then this cover is worth 10% in flow rate over the standard BW 66mm compressor cover?.Do you have any factual dyno data or flow bench sheets to back this up?.10% of gain is alot to find in a simple change like this and before I made this leap I'd love to see the data on it.........Andy

Chris...
So your saying then this cover is worth 10% in flow rate over the standard BW 66mm compressor cover?.Do you have any factual dyno data or flow bench sheets to back this up?.10% of gain is alot to find in a simple change like this and before I made this leap I'd love to see the data on it.........Andy

Andy
So from what I can see your reading skills aren't quite up to par.
My post of "close to 10% over the std 0.55AR Borg Warner compressor cover when set up properly" is not 10% and may not produce close to that on every 66 BW compressor. The cover was flowed with a properly set up compressor and the gain was almost 10% (7.04lb/min) over the std Borg spec for that wheel and cover combination. Flow has many factors, or hindrances to look at when searching for improvement. Machining tolerances, insertion depth, wheel to bore concentricity and runout are just a few. If you are going to test a part and you know these factors limit your results, you tend to pay attention to them. Not having any control over your charger and the factors that limit flow, its impossible to give something like this a blanket flow improvement number, which is why I made it clear as to how we derived the gain. These are things we take into consideration in every charger we build, thus knowing the stack up and how performance is enhanced or effected. I also noted that given the generous build and machining tolerances of chargers out there, results can vary by some very substantial amounts.

The testing we do to our own products, other companies products and even oem products, we use to further our own product line and constantly refine their performance. The sport is evolving nonstop and to make performance gains, testing is important. Those who do it know the value and know the investment it takes. I don't see any benefit in posting a flow sheet on a set up that that resembles yours merely by description. Then you take the stand of your charger not seeing the same kind of improvement (due to the aforementioned reasons) and post your comments online as to discredit us, the product or the testing, when in reality it's because you read/see/hear only what you want to and overlook at the effecting issues.

So what I'm saying is...... What I have posted was what I wanted to post. What you have twisted it into with your colorful commentary is not what was posted or implied. On the plus side I do admire your creativity. Chris

Hey Chris when do my 2nd gen manifold swap could I then get a race cover for my 64??? Would I gain anything from it on my 3rd gen??

Buddy
Depending on when you do the swap. At the moment we haven't made a run of the cover's for the 64 compressor (I explained some of the "why" earlier in this thread). We have enough requests for them that they will be built from the next casting run. Keep in touch and we will get you one, we can take the cover we used for your build in on trade when we do. Chris

your shooting yourself in the foot. Andy is looking for a turbo to purchase,

So from what I can see your reading skills aren't quite up to par

Chris..
Your reading skills are obviously not either...
I asked a direct question which you dodged and I know what your parameters are and what was said.There is no spin or word play,You say its better,I asked why,simple.Since I know that spool up and flow are critical on a 12v I was loooking for info as a consumer,a point at which went right over your head and may have cost you a sale.

Imagine,I have been struggling all along to slip my truck over the 600 mark with the last two chargers.The truck has done a best of 540 on fuel and best of 771 on nitrous.I want it over 600 on a single and feel that 800 is easily attainable with spray.I know the 66mm wheel is going to be needed up front and was thinking the 68 on the back may be the answer with a stainless housing.But now after the last post I may just keep working with what I have and move on.The turbo that put me over the top could have been from your shop.............Andy

On Edit....
Chris.....Just to give you a better idea of why I am looking around for my next charger to try and optimize my set-up.In the last two chargers I have owned I have all but 5G's in their cost and have yet to pick up a 600.

Last edited:
A standard 64/71/.8 will put a properly tuned 12v over the 600hp mark. Are you sure it isn't a fuel issue Andy?

A standard 64/71/.8 will put a properly tuned 12v over the 600hp mark. Are you sure it isn't a fuel issue Andy?

Ron...
Nope,it is NOT a fuel issue with the P-Pumps.I have two that are built by a very reputable shop known out here for their work.Each pump is built differently with different internals.The pump on the truck currently was flowed tested at 500 cc's of fuel and came off the stand with it going into full rack at 14psi.I have made some changes to it and each change has not shown alot of gain.I am also like you,have injectors around that have not helped and some have been sent down the road.The other pump is alot larger but until I can get this one figured out there is no sense in changing it.It never clears out at all on the top end,even with the spray.....Andy

On Edit....
I am not believing that a 64mm charger will send this truck over the 600 mark contrary to what some may claim.