EFILive Beta First Impressions

I agree. By the time you change all those pins and hope you have it right it would have been eaiser to pick up a 100.00 harness off ebay and swap the harness.

Also almost positive that the pedals are not interchangeable between those years of ecm's. The pedal itself works differently, its not just a matter of showing the ecm voltage. I forget the difference but I looked into that at one time and it would not work. I wanted to use an 03 APPS so the cruise servo would work on a 05 engine but the 05+ ecm would not work with a 03 pedal.
I just looked at the 2 pinouts and you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!

There are only a few pins on the C1 that would need to be moved around and most of C2 has to do with tranny and body control so who cares if you are using a PCS?

Ryan, It is plain to see why an 03 APPS wouldn't just plug in and work on an 06 harness. The ECMs between the years though still only see the same 4 signals from the APPS they are just in different locations. They also must have the proper 5V ref. and ground. APPS No.1 Signal, APPS No. 1 Return, APPS No. 2 Signal, APPS No. 2 Return.

This may be a project to try:evil

Last edited:
Not sure if you noticed the difference in the pin layout between the two. For example on the C2 plug pin 1 on the 04 is pin 41 on the 06. I think it would be a nightmare trying to move the pins to make it work.

I just looked at the 2 pinouts and you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill!!!

There are only a few pins on the C1 that would need to be moved around and most of C2 has to do with tranny and body control so who cares if you are using a PCS?

Ryan, It is plain to see why an 03 APPS wouldn't just plug in and work on an 06 harness. The ECMs between the years though still only see the same 4 signals from the APPS they are just in different locations. They also must have the proper 5V ref. and ground. APPS No.1 Signal, APPS No. 1 Return, APPS No. 2 Signal, APPS No. 2 Return.

This may be a project to try:evil

What Ryan was getting at is the 03-04.5 automatic trans APPS only has one signal/return pair.

The manual trans uses two...so they are good to go there.

Like I suggested above the auto guys might be able to tie the two together as thats what I had to do to run a stand alone that wanted two signal/return pairs.

You would need access to the throttle position scaling because it would change it.

I am wondering if this will enable us to "tune around" the CP3 limits? In other words with data logging, tune to walk that fine line of max HP vs. losing rail pressure.

In other words I wonder if there are tricks to ease the load on the CP3, yet still make high hp...

That would be nice to know you got all you can without dropping RP and killing the HP

What Ryan was getting at is the 03-04.5 automatic trans APPS only has one signal/return pair.

The manual trans uses two...so they are good to go there.

Like I suggested above the auto guys might be able to tie the two together as thats what I had to do to run a stand alone that wanted two signal/return pairs.

You would need access to the throttle position scaling because it would change it.

Thanks Joe, I guess I'm good to go since my 03 is a manual ecm with the remote apps.

I guess I missed the point in swapping ECMs, other than to get EFI a couple months earlier than you would have otherwise.

We've been waiting years, now a couple months is gonna kill us?

I am wondering if this will enable us to "tune around" the CP3 limits? In other words with data logging, tune to walk that fine line of max HP vs. losing rail pressure.

In other words I wonder if there are tricks to ease the load on the CP3, yet still make high hp...

That would be nice to know you got all you can without dropping RP and killing the HP

That's the true design behind software like this. You'll be able to fine tune duration to make max hp and still keep the rail full.
So you log rp and see the drop, go to the table and at the corresponding box, drop pulsewidth down a touch and go log another run. Do that until rp stays where it should be....

That's the question, is it just a couple months or are we going to be left on the back burner. It's not going to be as simple as the late 5.9's and 6.7 trucks. They are CAN and 03-05 are SCI, two totally different animals.

If it is truly only a matter of a couple months I can wait, any longer than that I'm swapping ecm's. In my case all I need is engine control as I have a standalone for the trans and need no dash, chassis communication. Especially if all that's going to be required is an ecm swap using my existing harness and tps.

What is a rough ETA for the 03-04 SCI trucks? 6months? 12?

The intent is less that that. The reality is we won't know until we get down that path.

If you are willing to wait a few weeks to see how the implementation of 06-07 goes and then 07+ goes, we'll all then have a better idea about how this will pan out in terms of timelines.

Cheers
Cindy

Will EFI allow you to work around the skimm module ? I have a spare 06 ecm and would love to put it to use on my 05 engine but time will tell when the smart minds get to work.

What is a rough ETA for the 03-04 SCI trucks? 6months? 12?

I say just plan on it being later than sooner. If it comes out earlier then :rockwoot: but if not then you never had your hopes up to begin with. It just gives you more time to buy supporting/performance mods.

One of the nice things about manipulating teh factory software is that you can do just this. I know many in teh DMAX community will only up the pulsewidth in the higher pressure ranges and make it so that if rail pressure drops the tuning will actually pull pulsewidth out to help hold rail pressure where you want it at. Also in teh DMAX tuning you can adjust rail valve current to flow and make it so that it will go wide open on the regulator sooner to help hold rail pressure as well. I don't know if all of this will apply to the CUMMINS, but I imagine they will have something similiar for you guys with the CUMMINS.

i think i just decided to finally get a cr after working on blown up motors due to to much tom foolry for 6 yrs at a dealer ship i might just have to get one now damn the luck i read every post in this thread and im so excited about efi. i know a few that have dmax around my area that run it and they all run great, and i always wanted something that advanced for dodges, but dont get me wrong smarty has done wonders for the cummins but at the end of the day the guys that will benefit from this the most are the guys with built motors. thats not to say guys/girls with small add ons cant benefit as well. anyhow thank you all who are involved with this new software advancement for cummins. all in all lets keep the hobby and sports moving forward. man i cant wait. thanks.

Greg B.

Everyone from mild to wild will greatly benefit from this kind of tuning.

I know you guys are focused on the the 06-07 and are doing a GREAT job, keep it up. My question is related to the 6.7. Has anyone plugged into a 6.7 and tried to do anything at all with it (read or change). Not trying to compare apples to oranges here but SMARTY and many box tunes had been out for the 06-07 for almost 2 Years before the 6.7 was supported. My understanding of that (limited) is that the ECM for the 6.7 was a new world even for those used to working with cummins. I am very anxious to get a hold of EFI and have this ability but wanted to know if anyone has actually plugged into one and if the expected timeline is gonna be capable.

Those doing the BETA testing and development I thank you. You are moving the cummins into a whole new level.

I know you guys are focused on the the 06-07 and are doing a GREAT job, keep it up. My question is related to the 6.7. Has anyone plugged into a 6.7 and tried to do anything at all with it (read or change). Not trying to compare apples to oranges here but SMARTY and many box tunes had been out for the 06-07 for almost 2 Years before the 6.7 was supported. My understanding of that (limited) is that the ECM for the 6.7 was a new world even for those used to working with cummins. I am very anxious to get a hold of EFI and have this ability but wanted to know if anyone has actually plugged into one and if the expected timeline is gonna be capable.

Those doing the BETA testing and development I thank you. You are moving the cummins into a whole new level.

It was 2 years after the 5.9L CAN that the 6.7L was released. You can't work on support for a vehicle that doesn't exist and I highly doubt that most of the products available spent that 2 years refining their 5.9L product while waiting for the 6.7L to hit the market.

So while they may have had 2 years, I don't think that translates into 2 years of development time.

We've already overcome the differences between the 5.9L and 6.7L ECM's - we are able to read and flash them. Our timeline revolves around maintaining a high level of service and support to our customers and dealers, so we've chunked our Cummins project into more managable tasks. (ie releasing support once ECM type at a time)

Cheers
Cindy