EFILive Beta First Impressions

Ya different dynos on different will vary alot. Just the fact that my injs run horrible could be effecting overall hp by quite a bit but a back to back comparison will still show up. Hard to even compare two identical trucks on the same dyno because of the variables like that. A week inj could cause 8-10% drop in hp, doesnt sound like alot till you get 500hp then 10% is 50hp.

I did 556 on stock turbo, stock injectors, smarty mp8 stack, trans.. thats it.

Track doesnt lie, but HP calculators can't take everything into account either...

For example... 37" tires on 24" wheels and 4.56 gears, compared to 32" tires, 16.5" steel wheels and 3.73 gears....

You can't tell me your 556 HP holds true in either of those configs? That you'd run the same time and trap the same? My truck runs consistent 12.6's and 12.7s here - and it's a dually at 8000 pounds... different HP calcuators produce different results for that, just like different dynos give me different #s with exact same tune... Lots of things don't go into an HP calculator - just the nature of the beast! They'd be too complicated to use otherwise. I very much agree power is proven at the race track though. More by trap speed than anything else. ETs have way too much depending on them, where as trap speeds are generally real consistent with a semi-consistent run.

That being said, Nick's point is my point as well in comparing dyno sheets. Unless it's same day, same dyno - comparing sheets is like comparing apples and oranges and determining they're the same.

All this talk about the track really has me itching.... I wish the snow and cold would stop so we could get on with a nice warm spring!!!

549 on stock sticks is way more than I was hoping for. On my last setup with a dirty box tune and a 150 shot of nitrous I made 470

Yes it is! I didn't know if your "bag of parts from ii" included injectors or not. That dyno run looked virtually smokeless to me as well...

Kinda wish someone around me was a beta tester so I could ride along and watch/learn how this all works. I understood the screen shot on the other thread after looking at it for a while and reading how he explained it.

Last edited:
Track doesnt lie, but HP calculators can't take everything into account either...

For example... 37" tires on 24" wheels and 4.56 gears, compared to 32" tires, 16.5" steel wheels and 3.73 gears....

You can't tell me your 556 HP holds true in either of those configs? That you'd run the same time and trap the same? My truck runs consistent 12.6's and 12.7s here - and it's a dually at 8000 pounds... different HP calcuators produce different results for that, just like different dynos give me different #s with exact same tune... Lots of things don't go into an HP calculator - just the nature of the beast! They'd be too complicated to use otherwise. I very much agree power is proven at the race track though. More by trap speed than anything else. ETs have way too much depending on them, where as trap speeds are generally real consistent with a semi-consistent run.

That being said, Nick's point is my point as well in comparing dyno sheets. Unless it's same day, same dyno - comparing sheets is like comparing apples and oranges and determining they're the same.

All this talk about the track really has me itching.... I wish the snow and cold would stop so we could get on with a nice warm spring!!!

Actually, if you use ET and trap speed both, you will come up with usually 2 different numbers if you have a setup that isn't really "optimal" for racing....basically, you're somewhere in the middle;)

Big tires usually don't hurt trap speed too much, but they will kill ET....small tires can hurt trap speed, but help ET. The track and calculator will still give you a pretty good idea of average HP making it to the ground!

For example, I ran a 15.4 @ 102mph...then dynoed at 551hp....the ET was off because the charger didn't spool, but it still made power down the end of the track. As long as you aren't gear bound, trap speed is fairly accurate.

Chris

For example, I ran a 15.4 @ 102mph...then dynoed at 551hp....the ET was off because the charger didn't spool, but it still made power down the end of the track. As long as you aren't gear bound, trap speed is fairly accurate.

Chris

I agree on this point... I've ran same tune in 2wd and 4wd. Ran 12.6s in 4wd, ran 15.3-15.8 in 2wd. Both at 106.5-107.5 MPH.... This is why i say trap speed, IMO, is a better indicator of what's making it to the ground (on average).... the whole tire size gear ratio comment was meant purely to prove a point on comparing HP #s. Swap tires and gear, 600 HP could become 550, especially if using calculator vs dyno....

Anyways - BRING ON RACE SEASON. I'm Ready!

I had 3.73s and 35 sts on 20's lol.. Im guess I thought this was a my dick is bigger then yours with factory stuff kinda thing.. I was hoping to win!!.......lmao

I agree on this point... I've ran same tune in 2wd and 4wd. Ran 12.6s in 4wd, ran 15.3-15.8 in 2wd. Both at 106.5-107.5 MPH.... This is why i say trap speed, IMO, is a better indicator of what's making it to the ground (on average).... the whole tire size gear ratio comment was meant purely to prove a point on comparing HP #s. Swap tires and gear, 600 HP could become 550, especially if using calculator vs dyno....

Anyways - BRING ON RACE SEASON. I'm Ready!

thats why the calculator has weight and e.t and then weight and mph... so if you do have tires it will take into account of that.. hince if you have bigger tires you are more likely to trap higher.. then use the e.t because that would be a true hp. and then the other way. I understand what your saying.. the trans can have alot to do with also.. but then again so could a driver!

thats why the calculator has weight and e.t and then weight and mph... so if you do have tires it will take into account of that.. hince if you have bigger tires you are more likely to trap higher.. then use the e.t because that would be a true hp. and then the other way. I understand what your saying.. the trans can have alot to do with also.. but then again so could a driver!

Yup. Sure could

hello, I just have a question for the efi live team, also would like to thank them for bringing this tool to the cummins crowd. with the current beta software you are using does it address the trouble code P0299 which is the underboost code, at my elevation (4,500+) these little 5.9's don't like to play with big singles as daily drivers. if not is this something that can be added possibly in time. it is just a pain in the a$$ when your truck goes into limp mode all the time and you got to pull over to clear your codes out, then try again. maybe i'm the only one that has this problem but i dought it. i know you guys have done a ton of work on this project but just seeing if you have heard of or incountered this problem and remedy a cure before the public release
thanks again

Overboost is currently in the software, underboost isn't but it will be an easy addition for us to make.
If it doesn't make the initial release, it will certainly make the first update.

Cheers
Cindy

12.80's is 560 horse? I went 14.4 at 499.6 through a slippn tranny (stock turbo)

Cant wait to see what kinda times i can clip off with efi live and all the new goodies

Thanks Cindy for the quick response that's what I wanted to hear :thankyou2:

Anybody find the RPM limit tables with the Scan Tool yet??

I've got a puller with a test pull this weekend and the season opener on the 23rd...love to have a fully fueled 4500rpm+ truck for the opener!!!!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

12.80's is 560 horse? I went 14.4 at 499.6 through a slippn tranny (stock turbo)

Cant wait to see what kinda times i can clip off with efi live and all the new goodies
Ummmmm did u just say a slipping trans?

hello, I just have a question for the efi live team, also would like to thank them for bringing this tool to the cummins crowd. with the current beta software you are using does it address the trouble code P0299 which is the underboost code, at my elevation (4,500+) these little 5.9's don't like to play with big singles as daily drivers. if not is this something that can be added possibly in time. it is just a pain in the a$$ when your truck goes into limp mode all the time and you got to pull over to clear your codes out, then try again. maybe i'm the only one that has this problem but i dought it. i know you guys have done a ton of work on this project but just seeing if you have heard of or incountered this problem and remedy a cure before the public release
thanks again

What size single?

You just need a ported head and a cam. :D

So what your saying is I should always switch out my slipping trans for my good one after the track! Good news save me on parts.

I think we kinda hijacked the thread.... we should move this part of the discussion to a new thread and discuss slipping trans and dyno #s there.