Electric Fans on the Cheap...

the more i see this the more i want to do it. i need to see if i can find some at the local junkyard. not likely though.

Garrett

the more i see this the more i want to do it. i need to see if i can find some at the local junkyard. not likely though.

Garrett

Ebay has some decent deals too if you dont have any in the yard... or classifieds on Pirate or mustang/camaro sites...

i will be making a trip to the junk yard this weekend. to look for some fans. what year Tauruses are they in? possibly a part number?

Search on Pirate4x4 and any mustang/camaro forum... you would think they would work, but they burn out pretty quickly... trust me, save yourself the time/money.

I don't believe that it is due to the fact that they are not rated for continuous use. I tested and dealt with continuous duty solenoids at my old job and found that nearly every brand we could get a hole of was junk and would start giving issues over time (like 6 months of time or less) even when they were running at a fraction of their rated capacity. The only ones we found that were worth even buying were manufactured by Trombetta.

The stock grid heater solenoids should work if people have them available for use. They seem to be pretty durable and would probably be what I will use when I get around to finishing my electric fan project.

posted up on DP to a friend who gets us deals. called me like 10mins later. taurus wagon and sable wagon in the place next to him. he's pulling one off now as its going to pick a part and ill go get the other tomorrow. $25 a piece. i think its a good deal. now someone needs to show pics so i can get the belt driven off.

Garrett

im going to go get the fans in a little. my friend just told me that one is bigger than the other. one is off a taurus and one is off a sable. whats the difference?

one has 9 blades and the other has 8.

Garrett

Last edited:
here is what i got.

P8152290.jpg

P8152292.jpg

P8152293.jpg

P8152291.jpg

P8152294.jpg

im glad that they are both made in USA. do these look like they will work? i need to run part numbers to see exactly what they are from.

Garertt

you need to figure out how many cfm each fan will push and that depend on the pitch of the blade and the rpm the fan runs at.

Anyone run these and take intake temp samples? I dont think the IC will be very efficient without any airflow and will heat soak whenever truck is stopped. Also thinking the trans cooler is already barely enough, then in traffic with NO FAN???:doh:

Anyone run these and take intake temp samples? I dont think the IC will be very efficient without any airflow and will heat soak whenever truck is stopped. Also thinking the trans cooler is already barely enough, then in traffic with NO FAN???:doh:

just run a over ride switch that runs them at like 50% when they would be normally off.

SSpeeDEMONSS said:
how do i do that?

Garrett

check the part numbers first and you might be able to fine the info needed otherwise its a little hard to do involving a good amount of math.

Why couldnt you wire a relay into the existing wiring for the stock clutch fan? it would turn on when the temps get hot and when the AC is on..

Just use the stock harness to turn on the relay.

Why couldnt you wire a relay into the existing wiring for the stock clutch fan? it would turn on when the temps get hot and when the AC is on..

Just use the stock harness to turn on the relay.

Most are mechanical..

I'm glad someone mentioned the grid heater relays.. needed a good use for those things...

But the AC would work nicely if you didn't want to modify your interior.. Just turn on the AC, and the fans come on... (Maybe that's what you ment..)

Im talking more in the terms of the 3rd Gens where the clutch on the fan is engaged electronicly.

here is what i got.

P8152290.jpg

im glad that they are both made in USA. do these look like they will work? i need to run part numbers to see exactly what they are from.

Garertt

The one on the right is the one that moves 4000+ and draws 38A. I don't know about the other one. I'm having a decent time with my 18x18 aluminum dual core and a 1500cfm 14A fan on the race truck. Most of the time I don't run the fan at all.

I'm curious about daily driving, how well do act on the street? I'm tired of the power loss when the factory fan clutch engages. Thanks.

subscribing!

lookin good guys, really instrested to see how it turns out. good to hear that Diesel_Weasel set up is working awesome in DD and towing situations. most of the time i have heard that the electric fans dont do as well. i also wonder how much of that is the ford cooling system? just reading Diesel_Weasel thread on the other forum and they were talking how the ps radiator is alot bigger.

Back