Electric Fans on the Cheap...

How quick does the temp come down?
Stock radiator (cleaned) with a single 4000cfm 38A Taurus fan cooled from 175 to <140 in 7 minutes.

The current truck with a electric waterpump and generic Summit 16" fan on a 2 core double pass radiator cools down from 190 to <140 in 5 minutes.

well, i installed the one fan that i do have. i used the grid heater relay since i removed my grid heater. it really does move a lot of air. i will add another when i get it.

P8242310.jpg

P8242311.jpg

P8242313.jpg

Garrett

Anyone give alittle info on how to wire them with the grid heater relays. Thanks

the grid heater relay has 4 posts(i think thats what it is). power in and power out are the big top ones. the small two are a switch and ground. simple.

as for my fan, i rarely have it on. only heavy stop and go traffic or driving stoplight to stoplight ill need it. but when it is on, it keeps the temp down. or, if i let the temp get to 200* and turn the fan on, it will bring the temp down pretty quick. im still looking for a second fan.

Garrett

to bring this thread back to life, beware of buying the Mark VIII 18" fans, i have spent all day working on mounting it only to find that its too think to fit, i need a narrower fan.

Heres mine two taurus fans (and yes its plywood so dont laugh)and they work very good.I dd and tow and have no problems,workin on gettin a alum. schroud bent up.I wired them w/ the grid relays .
fansintake007.jpg

head005.jpg

to bring this thread back to life, beware of buying the Mark VIII 18" fans, i have spent all day working on mounting it only to find that its too think to fit, i need a narrower fan.

How thick is it?

Anyone know how thick the taurus fan is?

Thanks

I went to auto zone and bought two 18" fans which according to the book is what our trucks called for other than the fancy new kit. They were like 60$ apiece.

Attachments

• DSC00368.JPG
    DSC00368.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00640.JPG
    DSC00640.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 35
I went to auto zone and bought two 18" fans which according to the book is what our trucks called for other than the fancy new kit. They were like 60$ apiece.

How much air are they rated to flow? I think the Taurus fans move about 4K cfm right?

Heres mine two taurus fans (and yes its plywood so dont laugh)and they work very good.I dd and tow and have no problems,workin on gettin a alum. schroud bent up.I wired them w/ the grid relays .

careful with those. i used mine and both seem to have given up now. im just running a breaker between the battery and the switch. works just fine and its the same way we run the fan on the buggy.

Garrett

ok so i reworked some things, gonna move the larger mark VIII fan to the side and use it. this was after i went and found some dual ~15" fans off a taurus. i am selling the taurus fans in the classifieds

here is the original set up with the mark VIII fan that didnt work...
HPIM0715.jpg

i had to ditch the stock shroud, built my own mounting frame and ill fab up something to mount the washer fluid and overflow tanks on.

volvo 940 turbo has a pretty good electric fan. high and low speed, the size i don't know but i'm pretty sure that when i get into this it will be enough with one fan.

Do all of you use a switch to turn it on or do someone have a sender or something that will control it automaticly.

you can do it either way, on daily drivers i would get a thermostat controlled switch, you can get "kit" for the wiring for about $70 on summitracing.com

for competition trucks most people are wiring them on a switch so they can leave them running to cool down after a run, or possibly have them on the entire run whether the coolant is hot or not to pull air across the intercooler.

Back