Electric Fans on the Cheap...

I dont have any pics of the fans installed but I can tell you that they definitely work well. They flat move some air! Its definitely a worthwhile mod. Ive got about $50 in the 2 switches and 2 fans.

I dont have any pics of the fans installed but I can tell you that they definitely work well. They flat move some air! Its definitely a worthwhile mod. Ive got about $50 in the 2 switches and 2 fans.

good to hear! so did you just bolt them on with the fan shrouds that were on the fans. lookin at the pics in your first post. or did ya build a fan shroud?

here is what i got.

P8152290.jpg

P8152292.jpg

P8152293.jpg

P8152291.jpg

P8152294.jpg

im glad that they are both made in USA. do these look like they will work? i need to run part numbers to see exactly what they are from.

Garertt

After looking around Ebay, those fans you have seem to be from the same car, but different motors. The round one looks like the one for the 3.0L and the one with the shroud from the 3.8L. Hope that helps, not sure which one flows more...

got my first fan on ebay, got the bigger mark VIII 18" fan. looking for a second one, then once i have them both ill find a junk radiator to mock up a shroud and then work on getting them wired.

After looking around Ebay, those fans you have seem to be from the same car, but different motors. The round one looks like the one for the 3.0L and the one with the shroud from the 3.8L. Hope that helps, not sure which one flows more...

yeah, the little one from the 3.0 is a pusher fan and it works just alright. its not going on the motor. the bigger one moves more air on low. on high it moves A LOT of air. if there is a problem cooling with 2 of them then i dont know what would cool it.

i really would like to see how they get mounted. zip tie to the radiator with the existing shrouds?

Garrett

How many CFM does the stock belt driven fan move, 15,000???

Approximately 10,600 CFM, while using 27 hp to turn it, are the numbers I was given when I asked a diesel shop locally. I had posted those numbers awhile back, and someone had the mathematical equation that came very close.

Approximately 10,600 CFM, while using 27 hp to turn it, are the numbers I was given when I asked a diesel shop locally. I had posted those numbers awhile back, and someone had the mathematical equation that came very close.

so 8-9000cfm from dual electrics should be fine.

Garrett

This thread is real interesting keep the info coming. Freeing up 27hp and cleaning up the engine bay while this in-expensive is cool. So how about some real world experience with these daily driving and so on. I know they seem to be superior on the track but how about on the street. Are operating temps. up and how much if they are. Any wiring diagrams to be shown? Will be heading to the junk yard soon. Thanks Lee

My humble offering of electric fan conversions:

Dual Elec Fan Setup... - Powerstroke Nation

I used the large relays that were originally for the heater grid for low and high speed for the fans.

I havent had a single problem cooling the truck with 100* ambient temps and 10k on the trailer, with the a/c on.

There are quite a few shroud ideas on Pirate as well if you search around. Mine is holding up great, but it's on a PSD radiator, so a little diff shape than you guys mostly.

Good Luck

Jason

I copied this from the first page...

Looks like it has pretty small wire for the power leads. Just a guess but it looks like 14 gauge, good for 15-20 amps max.

If those Taurus fans really pull 38 amps, they gotta move 4000+ CFM.

How many CFM does the stock belt driven fan move, 15,000???

On 12v it would be able to handle a higher amount of amps than on 120v (14awg @120v = 15 amp, 12awg @120v =20 amp)

so 8-9000cfm from dual electrics should be fine.

Garrett

I would say you probably would do fine with even less flow than that if you consider that you probably don't ever see the stock fan getting driven at its full potential. $.02

I think you guys should look for mopar minivans in the wreckin' yards, I want to say it was a 95-96 ish minivan fan fits the width of a first/second gen rad perfect..it has a clean lookin shroud on it, and although its only one 16" fan I have no heat problems at all in heavy traffic on a hot day or yanking around a heavy trailer

I will have to look for that the next time I go to the u-pull-it yard.

I have the dual derale fans on my 2wd currently.

Looks good Josh, I`ve been interested in the gas dash for a while but ain`t had a chance to research it very much. The fans look good and sound to be moving a lot of air, but for christ sake please get a piece of rubber hose over that red wire running thru your upper radiator hose clamp ! Couldn`t stand to see an electrical storm under the hood of your truck.

Yeah I want to redo some of the wiring we just got finished with it the other night real quick before the pull.

well, i guess zip ties is how ill do mine too. its only temporary anyways until i do the motor swap.

teddy- what did you use for relays?

Garrett

Back