FCDP Ranger Build

Awesome build!

Hopefully one of those extra pieces of sheet metal in the photos is the belly pan for the fuel cell? It looks like a plastic cell, and NHRA requires a pan under any plastic cell. Just wanted to mention it in case it was overlooked, don't want you guys to hear it first from a tech guy at the track.

I still want to build a tube chassis truck with a section of stock frame rails tack welded under the cab ;)

Technically my Vega has a section of factory frame rails under the body (it's a unibody, so the rocker panels are the factory frame under there).

BTW - any reason you guys chose tubular A-arms over struts? I know struts are lighter, but I've always liked the adjustability of the A-arm route.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

no real reason. the first guys we had building the frame builds nascar trucks and thats just the ft end he put on. and as far as the belly pan. i was overlooked. i appriciate the advice. definitly something we need to do. what material does it need to be made out of. can it be aluminum?

Where did you find the fiberglass front clip and hood from? All I can find is the older bodystyle fiberglass stuff. Nice build. What weight you guy think you'll be at?

no real reason. the first guys we had building the frame builds nascar trucks and thats just the ft end he put on. and as far as the belly pan. i was overlooked. i appriciate the advice. definitly something we need to do. what material does it need to be made out of. can it be aluminum?

Here are the relevant rules. They don't specify the actual metal for the pan, but tech guys seem to assume it has to meet the same spec as the trunk bulkhead (0.024" steel or 0.032" aluminum).

FUEL SYSTEM
All fuel-tank filler necks located inside trunk must have filler neck
vented to outside of body. Vented caps prohibited. All batteries, fuel
lines, fuel pumps, or filler necks located inside trunk require
complete bulkhead of at least .024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum
to isolate driver compartment from trunk. Fuel lines must be located
outside driver compartment. Fuel tanks must be within confines of
the body. See General Regulations 1:5.

1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS
Location: All fuel tanks, lines, pumps, valves, etc. must be outside
of the driver’s compartment and within the confines of the frame
and/or steel body. Cool cans, fuel-distribution blocks, etc. must be
located at least 6 inches forward of the flywheel/bellhousing area on
rear-wheel-drive (RWD) vehicles, and on opposite side of
flywheel/housing area on front-wheel-drive (FWD) vehicles. Fuel
pressure gauge isolators, with steel braided line, may be mounted
on firewall.

Tanks: When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located
outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame
constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .058 chromoly or .118
mild steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from the driver’s
compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to prevent any fuel
from entering the driver’s compartment. All fuel tanks must have a
pressure cap and be vented outside of body. A positive-locking
screw-on fuel tank cap is mandatory on all open-bodied cars.
Insulated fuel tanks prohibited. When used, fuel cells must have a
metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside of body
lines or trunk floor, excluding hose connection area in rear. Nonmetallic
fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.

more details will come, probably from 1badharley

The truck had some throttle pedal issues, so we made something work that probably shouldn't, but we ended the day with a 12.9@ 109, I don't have the slips in hand, the other Adam does, but the 60's were is 2.2 range, having problems pushing through the brakes, but overall, for shakedown runs, a 12.9 we were all well pleased, few more things to be addressed and we should be back at the track on Wednesday for some test and tune.

These times were a stock motor and a X-Race tune. and the truck weighs 3591 with driver.

I will post some videos (they suck) but I will post them none the less.

Adam H, Joel, Junebug, and Matt all did a great job!!

We are very pleased so far, this is with larger injectors and spray and a 2.3 60' time, the truck was spinning all the way down the track suspension needs tuning..once the dual rear calipers arrive the 60' should come down and ET should improve drastically as we are unable to build any boost off the line. Videos will be posted tomorrow evening. The MPH is good for 10's so that makes us very happy.

Thanks to all of our pit crew and Eric @ IDP.

Here are the videos:

12.07 @ 126

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtEBcqUX8s

11.88 @ 129

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEafzx5caAw

Here are some pictures:

DSC09699.jpg

DSC09696.jpg

DSC09697.jpg

DSC09700.jpg

DSC09708.jpg

DSC09712.jpg

Very nice guys, when is the next time it will hit the track,I would like to come and see it.

Very nice guys! That truck looks awesome and is off to a great start for only being out twice!

I was at the track a week ago and saw the Wide Open Performance drag truck make a few passes. They too were having break issues at the line and couldn't launch with boost but their truck seemed to light hard around the 100' mark whereas yours seems to light a bit farther down the track.

What's the elevation of the track and how heavy is the truck? What turbo are you running?

130mph is no easy feat on a new build right out of the box, congratulations!

I don't think we have any elevation as we are in Florida. The truck weighs 3591 with driver, and we are running the stock turbo, The problem with this setup is the injectors are way to big for the stock turbo, we you see the turbo "light" further down the track, that's when he is hitting the spray.

I am wanting to put the stock injectors back in and then spray it..so we will see.

I don't think we have any elevation as we are in Florida. The truck weighs 3591 with driver, and we are running the stock turbo, The problem with this setup is the injectors are way to big for the stock turbo, we you see the turbo "light" further down the track, that's when he is hitting the spray.

I am wanting to put the stock injectors back in and then spray it..so we will see.

Grab a weather station. We have "elevation". Just not what you are thinking.

Yeah break issues are a *****. I have issues with mine on the line too, but i am ok with it because i am rpm limited and why use up a bunch on the line, it will only 60 high 1.9's rite now. The twins light quick though so that helps out.

Grab a weather station. We have "elevation". Just not what you are thinking.

sorry, but 12-30' doesn't really get taken into consideration as "elevation" or "elevation" that will affect performance I should say.

I'm sure density altitude is what he's talking about.
I've seen it as much as 5500' higher than actual altitude.

Bradenton was 540 feet corrected back in March. Bring on the summer heat and humidity and lets see where that goes. That kinda puts your 12-30 out the window. And SGMP is 242 feet above. Just to start.