Fuel Economy cam updates

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
For the last 8-10 months we have been working with various versions of the 178-208 fuel economy cam. What we were trying to accomplish is maximum efficiency at cruising speeds(1800-2200RPM). By applying what we have learned with our performance cam research to the fuel economy project, we are pushing the envelope of what can be done with the flat tappet cams we have. All of this is made possible by the sturdy valvetrain Cummins has given us and a brilliant profile designer that is willing to push the limits! Thank you.....

In the next few months we will be providing updates on our progress on fuel economy. We have a few cams being installed as we speak. I also bought a 1999 24v last week to do our in house testing. I chose it because it was a single cab 5spd and because the VP has variable injection timing as opposed to the fixed of the P-pump. It is getting dropped 2", valair clutch, airdog, majestic turbo, injectors, and an edge CTS.

I would really lke to thank Jared Venz with Edge for the CTS. In the past we used a racepak to get all of our data. At $3,800 that gets a little pricey when upfitting 4 or 5 vehicles. The CTS with EAS expandable sensor options is letting us display up to 8 sensors on the screen at one time! I really had no clue this was even an option until I visited edge yesterday. Boost, EGT, Drive pressure, fuel pressure, IAT, will all be on one small gauge! In the future they are hinting that external data logging might be an option as well. For the next three weeks I will be on the road going to fall brawl, SEMA, and my Utah trip. After that we will be providing updates as they come.

We will be trying out, different tires, our 178-208 cam, higher compression pistons, higher temp thermostats, EDGE CTS, different injectors, lowering and our new 5th gear.

Stay tuned.

Zach Hamilton

Last edited:
Need pistons!!!! Send me a set to test, im starting engine assembly in a few weeks. installing 181/210 at same time!!!

subscribing
zac
what your thoughts on a 174/215 with a lsa 112, looking for something different. This cam is currently in my truck thats my avator picture.

subscribed!

if you need a beta tester i would be willing to put one in my fummins that has a 2004 305hp common rail and a 4r100 with a pcs

Same here zac, my truck travels all over western canada from the coast of bc (vancouver) out to manitoba in all weather from 40 celcius to -50 celcius.... lots of 15-24hr road trips.... building a motor in a few weeks with marine bowls though...

Had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman from Champion oil today. They were very gracious in offering their 5-40 oil for our economy project. It is nice to see some people really working hard to bring more and more products to the diesel community. I am anxious to see how their products work in our 24valve.

Stay tuned. Also feel free to post up if you would like us to do fuel economy testing on a particular product. Please no Tornado swirly-gigs, magic fuel magnets or anything f-1

Any tests being done on trucks with just a cam change and nothing else?

It'll be interesting to see if you beat Crabbel's (sp?) 33 mpg with this setup.

For the last 8-10 months we have been working with various versions of the 178-208 fuel economy cam. What we were trying to accomplish is maximum efficiency at cruising speeds(1800-2200RPM). By applying what we have learned with our performance cam research to the fuel economy project, we are pushing the envelope of what can be done with the flat tappet cams we have. All of this is made possible by the sturdy valvetrain Cummins has given us and a brilliant profile designer that is willing to push the limits! Thank you.....

In the next few months we will be providing updates on our progress on fuel economy. We have a few cams being installed as we speak. I also bought a 1999 24v last week to do our in house testing. I chose it because it was a single cab 5spd and because the VP has variable injection timing as opposed to the fixed of the P-pump. It is getting dropped 2", valair clutch, airdog, majestic turbo, injectors, and an edge CTS.

I would really lke to thank Jared Venz with Edge for the CTS. In the past we used a racepak to get all of our data. At $3,800 that gets a little pricey when upfitting 4 or 5 vehicles. The CTS with EAS expandable sensor options is letting us display up to 8 sensors on the screen at one time! I really had no clue this was even an option until I visited edge yesterday. Boost, EGT, Drive pressure, fuel pressure, IAT, will all be on one small gauge! In the future they are hinting that external data logging might be an option as well. For the next three weeks I will be on the road going to fall brawl, SEMA, and my Utah trip. After that we will be providing updates as they come.

We will be trying out, different tires, our 178-208 cam, higher compression pistons, higher temp thermostats, EDGE CTS, different injectors, lowering and our new 5th gear.

Stay tuned.

Zach Hamilton

when are you coming to utah?

hey zach im down to do a cam in a rotary pump 12 valve, with all stock parts and just tuning i can get about 23mpg in a non lock-up auto, im fixing to have another 93 12 valve and im modding it only for fuel economy.

thanks
stephen holden

blah-
220's and Hammy188/210 cam was enough to win dpc mpg test @ 7800lbs 22+ mpg (diesel only/ no water)

lol :)

Last edited:
I need to get off my arse, finish my head, and bolt my 20.5:1 VE motor together with this 178-208 I have laying here.

Haven't been very motivated this week.