Fuel Economy cam updates

I need to get off my arse, finish my head, and bolt my 20.5:1 VE motor together with this 178-208 I have laying here.

Haven't been very motivated this week.

Fwiw, I just clocked 23.1 mpg on a 500+ mile trip. Bigger tires, 4x4, 5spd, stock injectors, modded pump, 4.10's.

This looks very interesting... How much for a cam when available?

UPS showed up.....:evil. Now, to plan a day that I don't need my truck to stab it in. :D I got band gigs this weekend and the next so it will be hard to look at it in the shop for a week or two.

Keep us updated on the install Jory. Oldestof11, this will probably fall in the custom grind category due to the smaller number of cams cut and the extra grind fees. I expect them to be in the $600-650 range.

We'll do. Still looking for a freebie mechanical boost gauge to get you some drive pressure readings. :D

Got my cam today also.......

Let's talk about how you are going to test for fuel mileage. Gotta run, I will post up
some of my ideas later and one of Zach's.

Had the pleasure of meeting a gentleman from Champion oil today. They were very gracious in offering their 5-40 oil for our economy project. It is nice to see some people really working hard to bring more and more products to the diesel community. I am anxious to see how their products work in our 24valve.

Stay tuned. Also feel free to post up if you would like us to do fuel economy testing on a particular product. Please no Tornado swirly-gigs, magic fuel magnets or anything f-1

Are you doing any testing on a 6.7?

Going to be doing some pre mileage test this week. As soon as i am confident on the data I will install the cam. I have a 52 mile trek one way to work everyday and it is mostly interstate. I will be gathering data at 75 mph and 70 mph. That is 2250rpm at 75 and 2100rpm at 70. The majic 68 mph is at 2050 rpm on my truck. When I get the data gathered, I will post back on the board on my findings. Hope to not have any accidents or I will have to try again the next day.

First pre results are in. This is a 75mph mostly interstate to work today and back. I drove 110.9 miles and burned 6.4 gallons of diesel.
MPG = 17.33

By the way, the lie-o-meter said 20.5 mpg. Just a wee bit off...LOL

This is with fuel at the top of the filler neck.

First pre results are in. This is a 75mph mostly interstate to work today and back. I drove 110.9 miles and burned 6.4 gallons of diesel.
MPG = 17.33

:Cheer:
Good numbers with 4:10 Gears, I will be saving my pennies for a hamilton cam

Nothing for the 6.7 fords yet.

Just refilled for the first time on my 1999 regular cab 2wd 5spd truck. 245.1 miles, 18.6 gallons or 13.17 mpg. We got a long way to go. Just found the lift pump getting weak so I put an Airdog on it. Clutch is slipping pretty badly as well. I'll see how she does after those two things plus an exhaust kit and a filter upgrade.

Last edited:
:Cheer:
Good numbers with 4:10 Gears, I will be saving my pennies for a hamilton cam

These are just pre numbers. Cam is not in yet. I will be driving again tomorrow with the interstate speed of 70 mph or 68. Haven't deceided yet...LOL Oh the torture going that slow in the middle of nowhere.

Smarty is the Standard Revo. Level 7, timing 2, TQ=2, wastegate=off. Quad pressure is off.

MPG = 17.33

Almost forgot. Cruising EGT's were 650-700. Boost was 3-4 psi.

Today I ran 69mph at 2100rpm. Boost was 2-3 psi. EGT's were 650. I drove the same route. Drove 110.9 miles mostly interstate and back. Burned 5.98 gallons of diesel.
MPG= 18.5

Lie-o-meter said 21.4...... Just have to enclude this, it such a joke.

Today I ran 69mph at 2100rpm. Boost was 2-3 psi. EGT's were 650. I drove the same route. Drove 110.9 miles mostly interstate and back. Burned 5.98 gallons of diesel.
MPG= 18.5

Lie-o-meter said 21.4...... Just have to enclude this, it such a joke.

I know it's asking alot can you test at 60mph as well

That will be painful at 60mph. Today I installed a new clutch, 80hp injectors, and the edge CTS with the EAS expandable gauge setup. There is no comparison between the comp box and this. I had 6 data streams going at once. I am excited about the 0-100 psi gauges for boost and drive, digital egt and oil temp for comparison when I go to the high compression pistons with top coating and the higher thermostat.

I will be driving to Waco in the next day or so. Will get some new readings at varying speeds. Next goes in the new turbo and 4" exhaust.

heres my pre cam swap DATA, i sent the same thing to Ryan
this is with the helixII cam. at cruising rpm 1700, 70mph: egts 400*, boost 1-2psi. Drive pressure 0-1 psi.....Full throttle: egts 800*, boost 35psi, drive pressure 34psi......2000rpm same as cruising besides being at 90mph LOL
my drive to work is 35 miles. i topped the fuel off to the point were it was at the cap. i drove to work and ill could still see the fuel in the fill tube about a foot down. so it couldnt have been more than 1 or 2 gallons, so far ive gone 338 miles to little more than a 1/4 tank

Last edited:
heres my pre cam swap DATA, i sent the same thing to Ryan
this is with the helixII cam. at cruising rpm 1700, 70mph: egts 400*, boost 1-2psi. Drive pressure 0-1 psi.....Full throttle: egts 800*, boost 35psi, drive pressure 34psi......2000rpm same as cruising besides being at 90mph LOL
my drive to work is 35 miles. i topped the fuel off to the point were it was at the cap. i drove to work and ill could still see the fuel in the fill tube about a foot down. so it couldnt have been more than 1 or 2 gallons, so far ive gone 338 miles to little more than a 1/4 tank
How are your egts 400*?