Gap in classes???

How about 3 bracket classes to mirror the NHRA with 2 heads up classes, Top Diesel and Pro Street? Bracket classes would follow the NHRA class definitions below. This would allow for more competition for those running in the mid 10s and slower.

Super Pro...All vehicles running 7.00 - 12.99. Electronics are permitted, Open top bulb (full .5 tenths tree)

Pro...All vehicles running 7.50 - 13.99. Electronics are NOT permitted. (full .5 tenths tree)

Sportsman...All vehicles running 13.00 and slower, NO electronics permitted. (full .5 tenths tree)

I think what we have there is not enough trucks to fill the classes.

I see it like this:

The daily driver type trucks.... let's say 11.50-20.0
The play/race trucks..... 10.xx- 11.xx
The all out race trucks....8.xx, 9.xx
Then the top diesel stuff.....way fast

How we should class them is really beyond me. People want heads up classes (I'm one of them)... but if you restrict it to the fastest trucks around you'll end up with very few trucks that can be competitive on a national level (count them on one hand). A guy might win his division with a 12.0 truck then get stomped by a 9.50 truck.

Think of it like gasser racing on a smaller scale. You have to have a boatload of money to run heads up there. The difference with us is you have a lot less racers period.

I don't know the answer here.

Maybe just leave it alone except maybe a weight increase if it will allow more people to compete.

At the Redding event we had a Chevy Caprice with a Duramax capable of running in the 10s. He had to detune so he could run brackets because he couldn't make the weight for the heads up classes. What class would he be in? In my wildest dreams I would put a Cummins in my PT Cruiser.

What ever things get narrowed down to, I feel there should be some working with the other organizations so trucks can compete the same at all diesel events.

Lets face it, there are the ET bracket, daily drivers and then you have many different levels of race trucks. Would be very cool to have close to the same rules nationwide so everyone can compete all over the country on the same level.

What ever those classes become, we just need to know how to build the truck(s) for the new year.

I do not want to race a 9 second diesel in brackets. Pro trees are cool, heads up is cool. Fans like heads up racing. We need fans as well as competitors.

What ever things get narrowed down to, I feel there should be some working with the other organizations so trucks can compete the same at all diesel events.

Lets face it, there are the ET bracket, daily drivers and then you have many different levels of race trucks. Would be very cool to have close to the same rules nationwide so everyone can compete all over the country on the same level.

What ever those classes become, we just need to know how to build the truck(s) for the new year.

I do not want to race a 9 second diesel in brackets. Pro trees are cool, heads up is cool. Fans like heads up racing. We need fans as well as competitors.

Totally agree Rob.

I'd say you're really narrowing your field. To have more than 5 trucks in that field at one race would be asking a lot

It's tough because at some events you have 20 trucks running mid 11's or faster (NADP blackout) and other events you get 3-4 trucks run under 12's.

It's tough because at some events you have 20 trucks running mid 11's or faster (NADP blackout) and other events you get 3-4 trucks run under 12's.

That is true, but to have the classes consistent across the organiztions would be a great benefit if some of the competetors what to compete in more than one organization.

Everyone who is interested in having some input needs to either post in this thread or get in touch with NHRDA with their imput. I talked to Randy this morning and they hope to have the class specs out by the week after Thanksgiving.

We already have lots of classes the gap exists between the 10 sec Super streets and Bracket class I would like to see a street 12 sec indexed class for the faster street trucks that don't have to get cages. it is a good step between bracket racing and getting into the heads up racing of the faster classes with out getting too crazy. Super street has just gotten so fast there is a large gap between Super street and Bracket racing, Super street and prostreet are running the same times almost now!

Bracket 1
12.0 Index
Pro Street (blending Super Street and Pro Street)
Pro Stock

If there is a "12 second index" class, I think it should be 11.75 instead.

Because 11.999 is a full second quicker than 12.000 ;)
and
You can't make an index really close to a safety equipment break point, or you have people kicked off the track for running under. 11.75 is half-way between.

But index racing is just bracket racing where everybody writes the same number on the window. If you hate brackets, you're not going to like index either. Most the trucks in an index can run under, so everybody is sandbagging.

at least the start is the same and if someone sand bags so be it! 11.75 is o.k. with me as long as a cage is not required, I don't want to put a cage in a truck I drive every day.

11.49 requires a rollbar, and 9.99 requires a full cage.
Helmets happen at 13.99 or some tracks require them all the time. You can have a passenger up to 14.00 at most tracks. If you run nitrous, you need a fire jacket at some tracks regardless of ET.

The 12.00 index has been out for years in other organizations, that why I chose it as my vote. Also 12.00 is obtainable for street trucks, but I'll race in whatever the class ends up being. Pro or sportsman tree, makes no difference to me.:evil

ET Brackets - Open
Super Street - 10.90 Index DOT & Tagged
Pro Street - Heads up with weight min. (4500 lb.?)
Pro Stock - Heads up with weight min. (2500 lb ?)
Top Diesel

This will keep Super Street from basically becoming Pro Street as it has this year.

11.49 requires a rollbar, and 9.99 requires a full cage.
Helmets happen at 13.99 or some tracks require them all the time. You can have a passenger up to 14.00 at most tracks. If you run nitrous, you need a fire jacket at some tracks regardless of ET.

I was told by one track a NHRA rule is you need a fire jacket if you're running a aftermarket turbo. This was at Commerce in GA so, I don't know how much truth there is to it...... don't believe they care for diesels much there.

I know I don't have a race truck many of you do but, the suggestions I see are really cutting out " most " of the trucks that show up to a race... many are like mine.

The 12.0 index is a perfect class for many and most trucks I've seen show up to race. You think we have poor showing now.... try and make these classes down as low as some of you are saying and there really won't be any trucks. The one's who do run low 11 and 10's are too spread out across the country to get the all to one show.

I was told by one track a NHRA rule is you need a fire jacket if you're running a aftermarket turbo. This was at Commerce in GA so, I don't know how much truth there is to it...... don't believe they care for diesels much there.

I know I don't have a race truck many of you do but, the suggestions I see are really cutting out " most " of the trucks that show up to a race... many are like mine.

The 12.0 index is a perfect class for many and most trucks I've seen show up to race. You think we have poor showing now.... try and make these classes down as low as some of you are saying and there really won't be any trucks. The one's who do run low 11 and 10's are too spread out across the country to get the all to one show.

The races I attended this year.......

NADM - People ran 12.0 because thats the only class that fit an 11.0 - 12.5 truck. Some of the 11.0-12.0 trucks would run Pro Street also, but not competitvly.

NHRDA - Super Street had mainly 10.5 - 11.5 trucks with some 13.0 trucks running for just points. Then there were the trucks running 9's

Maybe a compromise would be to make Super Street a 10.90 - 12.00 bracket class. 10.90 being the quickest one could dial and 12.00 being the slowest.

The races I attended this year.......

NADM - People ran 12.0 because thats the only class that fit an 11.0 - 12.5 truck. Some of the 11.0-12.0 trucks would run Pro Street also, but not competitvly.

NHRDA - Super Street had mainly 10.5 - 11.5 trucks with some 13.0 trucks running for just points. Then there were the trucks running 9's

Maybe a compromise would be to make Super Street a 10.90 - 12.00 bracket class. 10.90 being the quickest one could dial and 12.00 being the slowest.

Well, as you likely know NADM has insurance to be concerned about. NHRDA running at TnT for their races doesn't have as much a concern.

I'm by far not the one to be able to figure this out but, without keeping the times and speed down, there's gonna be a lot of NHRA rule concerns. I think that's one of the big reasons NADM and DHRA had the classes they did/do. The dedicated race trucks don't have a problem installing roll bars and buying firesuits but, the casual racer ( which seems to be the majority ) isn't gonna spring for all that.

I would love to see the faster classes myself but, as individuals that's really hard to do. Most who are running fast are associated with shops or have deep pockets.... or so it seems anyway.

I've never seen that rule but the track always has the right to makes tighter rules than the NHRA dictates. Carlsbad made everyone wear helmets regardless of ET, and no passengers ever.

I don't care for bracket racing myself, but it is the only way to give a fair shake to everyone when the ET's have a big spread. But nothing is more frustrating when a guy shows up with a 17.50 dial-in, and runs the same ET every pass because it doesn't spin the tires, and he leaves from idle.

The way many tracks deal with that is Bracket 1 and Bracket 2. I suppose for diesels it would break at 14.00 since that's where the helmet break is.

ET Brackets - Open
Super Street - 10.90 Index DOT & Tagged
Pro Street - Heads up with weight min. (4500 lb.?)
Pro Stock - Heads up with weight min. (2500 lb ?)
Top Diesel

This will keep Super Street from basically becoming Pro Street as it has this year.

I could go for that! Good thinkin Dockboy:pop: Gary